SAU Community

Wta 2013 Discussion

GTR32G

This is the second WTAC that I've come across the ditch to watch.

And for someone in NZ that we don't get a huge amount of Motorsport, I think it's fantastic!

I'm lucky enough to hang out in the MCA garage, so you see a bit more of the other side of it......and, Yes, it would be better with some big screens and timing sectors, and maybe this will come in time, but for an all out show/display/race meeting I think Ian does a great job.....crazy character.....but does very well to set it up.

Sure there are going to be things that I didn't like (like the commentators giving the lap time straight after he car had passed the finish line so you couldn't hear them over the exhaust)

Edited by Sub Boy32
  • Like 1

I'm not 1 to bag out motorsport officials but when you see cars do more than 1 lap of EC while another car has dropped a 400m line of oil and everyone in the grandstand is cheering as each car slides through it while no flags are out warning drivers it's quite dumb!

The Supra crash is probably now the most common corner for an accident since they have added the extended part to the corner and that stupid concrete ripple strip.

The driver of the EVO who stopped to help the Supra after the crash done the exact same thing the next morning same corner.

That turn dose seem to catch people out but I really like the extra track and use it every lap.

rtr-crash2-803x450.jpg

Still not sure how you held onto that!

Pure survival man, I'm lucky I didn't end up another metre to the left or it may have been a sad ending. I guess all the paddock bashing I've done over the years and hand brake driving accounted for something!

PJ your crazy!! Great save!!

Thanks! I'm glad you and the crowd seemed to enjoy it. My mouth was very dry afterwards, the G-Force when I was shooting to the right of the track was pretty intense!

I stuffed with the boost control settings between runs and took all the power out of the speed in 3rd and part of 4th. The transition from 22-45psi was brutal, held it flat while baking, hit a bump and slight overcorrection sent me towards the grass.

So my own actions got me there and got me out, fortunately!

went from 25-30 psi to 45psi on gear change? that right PJ?

I think it was all the junker driving in our shannons days that helped you ha!

You bet, can't put a value on thrashing pieces of junk!

Edited by PJ.

So the ARK R32 GTR that missed lasts years event has gone to the graveyard of cut up cars?

Alos, I have seen pics of the black Supra, Gorilla Ind or something. Always liked the car as it was quick and still looked like a street car....any idea how it ended up eating wall??? Major damage ?

Yeah a lot of big talk from that crew, I wonder if it got sent to the wrong port... again.

the success of Nemo has probably got a great deal to do with it, none of the top tier teams were there this year besides Tilton MCA and Nemo/McElrea

I enjoyed the event and will go next year but general feelings from the crowd were:

Not enough competitive cars, especially the Japanese ones.

Drifting was actually better this year than last.

Flying 500, great success there were more people watching in the stands and around the pits for this and the full circuit drift exhibition than at any other time.

A lot of people were pissed that 180MU didn't get it's second run. pretty pissed indeed.

People were also annoyed that we were sitting there waiting or nemo to come out only to be told that Luff had been sent home early and they were just doing demo runs...

Pit access and being up able to see the cars up close was awesome as per usual.

Generally no dickheads which was good.

PJ's save was awesome, whole grandstand thought so.

No one cared about the chick drivers, it was like watching Nascar where everyone constantly talks about Danica Patrick's awesome competitive run to 27th position.

Food was better this year.

There needs to be a fine for causing oil downs, nothing breeds reliability than a $1000 fine for shutting the track down at all times.

Teams are more professional now which is good to see.

The commentary was better again this year, they got rid of that f**king annoying woman for race control.

Still need to wait one or two seconds as a car passes finish line to give the times.

Heaps more but all I can think of right now.

Note sure you can charge for oil downs etc. The cars by nature are ticking tiem bombs sooo. But if you wan to put in far more robust pre-event scrutiny weeks out where the scrutineer can tell you things like

- unsupported oil coolers

- oil-water-electrical lines through panels with no grommets is a no-no.

- no overflow for cooling systems

- exposed coolers and lines/harnesses in wheel arches

- questionable integrity of aero and fitment of panels

etc etc then go for it.

From my perspective anyway most oil downs I have seen could have been pipcked up before the cars went out...typically not from rods out the block

Note sure you can charge for oil downs etc. The cars by nature are ticking tiem bombs sooo. But if you wan to put in far more robust pre-event scrutiny weeks out where the scrutineer can tell you things like

- unsupported oil coolers

- oil-water-electrical lines through panels with no grommets is a no-no.

- no overflow for cooling systems

- exposed coolers and lines/harnesses in wheel arches

- questionable integrity of aero and fitment of panels

etc etc then go for it.

From my perspective anyway most oil downs I have seen could have been pipcked up before the cars went out...typically not from rods out the block

Agreed,

Do any of you know when the Japanese event is held each year?

I cannot find this information to save myself!