SAU Community

For Those Running Nismo Coppermix Twin.....

With the Nismo Coppermix Twin do you have to retain the stock flywheel?

Reason being is I dont like the dual mass flywheel in the S15, and itd be nice if a lightweight single flywheel came with the nismo coppermix...

Has anyone tried out the HKS LA Single Plate Clutch? Thinking of this for my S15 if the nismo coppermix doesnt suit

http://www.hkseurope...rain/clutch.asp

With the Nismo Coppermix Twin do you have to retain the stock flywheel?

Reason being is I dont like the dual mass flywheel in the S15, and itd be nice if a lightweight single flywheel came with the nismo coppermix...

Has anyone tried out the HKS LA Single Plate Clutch? Thinking of this for my S15 if the nismo coppermix doesnt suit

http://www.hkseurope...rain/clutch.asp

http://www.rhdjapan.com/nismo-sports-clutch-kit-coppermix-silvia-s15-55843

Sorry, that suits the autech

This one....

http://www.rhdjapan.com/nismo-super-coppermix-single-plate-clutch-high-power-spec-s15-29254

I'm aiming for my car to be a "response monster" and be laying down around 300-350rwhp....

So would that single plate coppermix one be up to the task?

Does it also make the cool noise when the clutch is pushed in like a twin plate does (sounds like a box of rattling bolts).

Every twin plate i've seen has an integrated plate cage and flywheel, so you cant use the stock flywheel even if you want to.

Oh good, so its basically a complete clutch kit.

Yeah Nismo supplied flywheel must be used.

Strange how they all seem to be different, mine makes no noise whatsoever but it judders like a bastard on a light first gear take off. I'll get some kays on her and hopefully she settles down, won't be an issue at the track though. Incredibly light clutch though, and as many searches have confirmed, the bite point seems normally quite high in the pedal which is consistent with mine, so all good.

It will 100% settle down mate, they all are a bit rough until you put 500kms of reasonable use (city driving), and then drop a few launches :)

My new one did the same, it had started to die down before i sold the car (id only done about 200kms), and new owner reports that it's perfect now!

It will 100% settle down mate, they all are a bit rough until you put 500kms of reasonable use (city driving), and then drop a few launches :)

My new one did the same, it had started to die down before i sold the car (id only done about 200kms), and new owner reports that it's perfect now!

Thanks buddy, great to know. Don't drive it on the road much but this was giong to make me drive it even less. Now I'll have to drive it around to settle it in before next track outing.

Cheers for the feedback.

I've done about 500kms on my Twin plate C spec Coppermix, awesome clutch.

Very happy with the stock feel, it's a little noisy at idle but hey it's a twin plate so I can deal with this.

It got a great bite, which engages from about half pedal.

I bought this after reading quite a few guys running them with 400kw with no problem at the track. Oh and the stupidly expensive quote I got from NPC :wacko:

I've done about 500kms on my Twin plate C spec Coppermix, awesome clutch.

Very happy with the stock feel, it's a little noisy at idle but hey it's a twin plate so I can deal with this.

It got a great bite, which engages from about half pedal.

I bought this after reading quite a few guys running them with 400kw with no problem at the track. Oh and the stupidly expensive quote I got from NPC :wacko:

from nismo performance center ????

how much???

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 years later...

I thought I'd bump this thread up rather than starting a new one on the same subject.  

What are the power limits of a Coppermix twin before they begin slipping when in good condition?, have any of you guys tried pushing 600-800hp region and what have your experiences been.   In a GTR, unsure if that makes a difference since the driveline loads it more.  

I've seen some pretty light driveable clutches used in very high power turbo BMW's but not available in Nissan style.

I run a Exedy Carbon D but looking to try something quieter.

Edited by RB335

I've held 700rwhp. Ran drag slicks on 600rwhp 1.3 60fts  BUT it was in a very light S13.  After 8 years of abuse it started to slip. New plates in it and its going strong in a 4wd car now.   

I do love how quite they are too, perfect street car clutch.  

You get over the twin plate rattle quick when your picking your kids up from school and people just think your car is broken. 

• 2 weeks later...

Since this has been revived, for those who still wondered, yes, twin plate settled down just fine.  No shudder at all now that it's worn in no matter what I do.  Amazing clutch, holds the power so well, and just lovely to use. 

One thing a few people have mentioned was that the bite is high, yes it is and it clearly has a shorter effective stroke than my old one.  I had trouble with this as I drive two other manuals so getting into this was odd and took some adjusting each time.  So I pulled the little plastic stop out of the clutch pedal and replaced it with a 12mm both and two nuts so I could adjust it to stop where ever I wanted.  It's now absolutely perfect.  Reduced the travel and it's much more drivable with the shorter throw and now just a joy.  Has been for the last 6 years love it, will do it all again when time comes.

• Thanks 1

And just because it made the car so much more enjoyable to drive and was such a simple mod, here's what I used in case anyone's interested.  Just make certain you dial in enough to allow the clutch to fully disengage the clutch at the stop of course.  Reverse is good for this test since it doesn't have synchros so you can feel if it's clear.

IMG_0401.JPG

IMG_0403.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2