SAU Community

Beastly Pre-'89 Car - Ideas?

13Beast

http://www.r31house.co.jp/season2/used_detail2.php?car_code=310058

gtp006a.JPG

~$6,600 AUD, add skirts and a rear bumper and that'd be killer!

If you had some serious ke$h I'd be after this GTS-R though...

http://www.r31house.co.jp/season2/used_detail2.php?car_code=310051

gtsr013a.jpg

(I'm assuming the RB26 equipped GTS-X available would be a hassle importing due to the engine)

• 2 months later...

so,any updates mate? did you decide on what you are getting?

another option,rather than DR30, have you considered early HR30 coupe? L28 bored and stroked to 3.1, lumpy cam and big carbs, and with the early model coupes at barely 1100kg ish would be a sweet ride!

• 2 weeks later...

Been having some engine trouble with my DC2R, which more or less threw cold water on getting a sweet older ride anytime soon. Right now just saving cash so I can get it looked at and hopefully fixed, but smoke billowing out from the exhaust is never a good sign :(

Rang up Seeker and they said $3000 for a head gasket, and about $7000 to reco the engine! Damn... Seriously hoping I can get it done cheaper than that!

Still clinging to the hope that I will have enough coin by the end of the year to pick up an older ride. I was keen to get an Evo 7/8, but after riding in my friends totally worked 8MR recently, I have to say I was left a bit wanting. It didn't feel fast at all. And if it did feel mildly quick, it was in a very techno/industrial/agricultural way as is the case with most Subies/Lancers...didn't feel sporting at all. Next option is an FD RX7 to bring back home, and can get an engine rebuild here for about $2500-3000. Was thinking of getting a good and clean but higher mileage one on the cheap and freshening up the engine before bringing it back. But now with the exchange rate plummeting and the head aches of compliancing and all the other jazz that will happen with any SEVS car, the easy way out is to just pick up a modified sick older ride. I'll probably be leaving Japan end of the year, and might not be bothered with the hassle of a SEVS import, so may just do the pre-89 rule car plus my Integra.

Still keen on a two-door FJ20 DR30, an AW11 MR2 4AGZE targa-top, or even a 3.0 litre manual old-school Soarer. An '88 CA18 S13 Silvia would be nice too, but S13's are probably cheaper in Australia than Japan now these days.

Good thing about the pre-89 cars, is that the rules on having new tyres/compliancing/must be totally standard and all the other jazz they expect of SEVS cars isn't anywhere near as strict. Could bring one over with mild mods and it wouldn't be an issue. I like that.

• 2 weeks later...

Been having some engine trouble with my DC2R, which more or less threw cold water on getting a sweet older ride anytime soon. Right now just saving cash so I can get it looked at and hopefully fixed, but smoke billowing out from the exhaust is never a good sign :(

Rang up Seeker and they said $3000 for a head gasket, and about $7000 to reco the engine! Damn... Seriously hoping I can get it done cheaper than that!

Still clinging to the hope that I will have enough coin by the end of the year to pick up an older ride. I was keen to get an Evo 7/8, but after riding in my friends totally worked 8MR recently, I have to say I was left a bit wanting. It didn't feel fast at all. And if it did feel mildly quick, it was in a very techno/industrial/agricultural way as is the case with most Subies/Lancers...didn't feel sporting at all. Next option is an FD RX7 to bring back home, and can get an engine rebuild here for about $2500-3000. Was thinking of getting a good and clean but higher mileage one on the cheap and freshening up the engine before bringing it back. But now with the exchange rate plummeting and the head aches of compliancing and all the other jazz that will happen with any SEVS car, the easy way out is to just pick up a modified sick older ride. I'll probably be leaving Japan end of the year, and might not be bothered with the hassle of a SEVS import, so may just do the pre-89 rule car plus my Integra.

Still keen on a two-door FJ20 DR30, an AW11 MR2 4AGZE targa-top, or even a 3.0 litre manual old-school Soarer. An '88 CA18 S13 Silvia would be nice too, but S13's are probably cheaper in Australia than Japan now these days.

Good thing about the pre-89 cars, is that the rules on having new tyres/compliancing/must be totally standard and all the other jazz they expect of SEVS cars isn't anywhere near as strict. Could bring one over with mild mods and it wouldn't be an issue. I like that.

Make sure you do all the paperwork properly for the personal import before it leaves, proving how long you have had car for etc, parking rental reciepts etc

Why dont you get some ae86's? theres plenty that i see on yahoo jp that could be brought back for a fair profit

Otherwise id bring a few track cars back, s15/fd/jzx100 etc

Pm me if you need container help, lands bris tho, and yards in osaka

Make sure you do all the paperwork properly for the personal import before it leaves, proving how long you have had car for etc, parking rental reciepts etc

Why dont you get some ae86's? theres plenty that i see on yahoo jp that could be brought back for a fair profit

Otherwise id bring a few track cars back, s15/fd/jzx100 etc

Pm me if you need container help, lands bris tho, and yards in osaka

Thanks mate. I'll send you a PM. Might have to see what you could help me bring in - as I could have a car complied (if its a SEVS car) in QLD, then have it brought over to WA I suppose?

Most of the AE86s here for sale are DOGS. You do see the occasional one in a not-so-sought after color/trim/bodystyle combo that is still a great condition car but nobody wants it, as they are all fanboys here looking for the clones of various D1 cars, famous manga/anime AE86s and so on.

I have the feeling that back in Australia, people wouldn't be so picky?

C130 Laurels start at around $10k, and stretch to as much as $30k. Most are around the $15k - $25k mark. Way too expensive.

Shame of the stupid pre-89 rule... I'd love a C33 Laurel.

When will this dumb rule change? I mean, these cars are 25 years old now. Surely the gov't will wake up and change this law and eventually make it pre-90, or pre-91 etc etc as the years go by. Does anybody know if this ruling will change? Or is it still going to be pre-89 only even years from now?

Will change to the 30 year rule in 2019.

When they are all rusted-out sh*tboxes that pose absolutely ZERO threat to the locally delivered Australian models (which is ostensibly the motive for the gov't to be so draconian). Hell, they are already zero threat now.