SAU Community

“Rbn1” R32 Gtr - 7 Years In Storage – Time To Restore And Rebuild.

2 minutes ago, mr_rbman said:

you don't get any attessa issues running the wheel and tyre combo you do?!

Nope. I run the same size all round.

I have 2 sets of wheels

1st set   : Volk TE37 17x9” +0 Gloss Black – Falken RT615 : 255/40/17 (these wheels came with the car)

2nd set :  Volk TE37 18x9.5 +12 Satin Black – Yokohama AD08R 265/35/18

Was starting to get worried as everything was running so well.

Drove the car to work and back during a couple of high 30 degree days and on the way back on the second day, noticed a foul smell from the engine bay, in stop/start traffic.
Got home and couldn't figure out where it was coming from. Thought great, somethings curled up and died in there.

Noticed some strange corrosive spray marks around the battery and I found this - sealed battery is not so sealed anymore.
IMG_2572_zpsn5o1wn5p.jpg
Managed to spill acid everywhere while I was trying to take it out.

Acid has eaten away at the paint underneath and new black silicone hoses and marked the hard pipes. Great.
IMG_2573_zpstnyhnfra.jpg

Quite possibly overcharging due to regulator issue but PFC said 14.1V 
Could also possibly have been the battery

Cleaned up as much as possible with water. Will need to sand back the exposed metal and re-paint.
IMG_2576_zpslkilebp7.jpg

What sort of battery to get next? No use keeping the battery here, in the engine bay.
Looks like there's a new project coming....

That battery wasn't sealed to begin with, i would recommend a Optima Yellow or Red Top battery, they are fantastic, better power per size then most batteries on the market, and completely sealed, you could install it upside down if you really wanted to.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Coullsy said:

That battery wasn't sealed to begin with, i would recommend a Optima Yellow or Red Top battery, they are fantastic, better power per size then most batteries on the market, and completely sealed, you could install it upside down if you really wanted to.

Ah ok.
I've tilted the battery before and it hasn't spilled, previously. Accord to Century they are sealed? http://www.centurybatteries.com.au/products/sealed-maintenance-free

Cool, thanks I'll take a look at those. Was also looking at Odyssey AGM's.
Will need to sort out details on the battery relocation.

21 minutes ago, RBN1 said:

Ah ok.
I've tilted the battery before and it hasn't spilled, previously. Accord to Century they are sealed? http://www.centurybatteries.com.au/products/sealed-maintenance-free

Cool, thanks I'll take a look at those. Was also looking at Odyssey AGM's.
Will need to sort out details on the battery relocation.

The plastic underneath the long sticker is a lid, on the back up the top you will find 2 x screwdriver slots to pop it up and the caps are under there. The new range of Century's batteries have gone maint. free

Odyssey are great batteries also, all comes down to your budget.