SAU Community

“Rbn1” R32 Gtr - 7 Years In Storage – Time To Restore And Rebuild.

Yeah I think I bought the DoLuck brace after I decided to take the full cage out. Was a bit depressed about losing it, as I really like it :)

Ah well, think of it as, you got the bottom part of the roll cage in the back of the car :)

The paintwork for whatever reason comes out pretty well in photos but it definitely needs work. The roof is probably the worst with some bad bog work near the front and minor leak near the windscreen, followed by the bonnet where the paint is pretty weathered. Rear guards also need to be lipped and the paint fixed up where the wheels have scrubbed. This will all be done after Racepace has finished their part.

Yeah, I was gonna say, it also being a black car, all the marks and what not are going to show up.

Yup, Jack moved the car :) Was good to catchup with him on the day.

Yeah, he moved my GTR to Racepace too!

Awesome fella!

The seats are actually off "Racepace" Chris's R33. (Snowman's old seats). I've given them a thorough clean with fabric cleaner since the photo and they've come out really well.

Came up great!

Hopefully go back this Saturday when Chris will take my old engine apart and show me what went wrong. (probably rings)

Interested in this part!

Take some pics too!

Will definitely take pics mate :)

Well the old Brembo front brake setup has moved on and found a new home. Was really interested in getting one of the D2 Kits as they seem like awesome value. Wanted the 8Pot 356mm kit however there has been a lot posted on these forums about them not fitting 17" wheels. Well I refuse to believe that ;)

Import Monster were kind enough to lend me a kit to test fit and see if they clear my 17" track TE37's.

IMG_0239_zpsceb3c35a.jpg

Well you saw it here first -

IMG_0240_zpsad0517cc.jpg

They fit!!!

Tried to take a photo as best I could, they have more clearance than what it seems in the photos.

FYI - Wheels are 17x9". Unsure of offset but they're more aggressive than my 18x9.5+12 TE37's. Good quality forged race rims like LMGT4's etc should also clear.

IMG_0245_zpsb5f05a88.jpg

Thank you Import Monster for lending me the kit to test fit & Racepace for bolting them on and testing!

8 Piston 356mm kit in red ordered :)

Well the old Brembo front brake setup has moved on and found a new home. Was really interested in getting one of the D2 Kits as they seem like awesome value. Wanted the 8Pot 356mm kit however there has been a lot posted on these forums about them not fitting 17" wheels. Well I refuse to believe that ;)

Import Monster were kind enough to lend me a kit to test fit and see if they clear my 17" track TE37's.

IMG_0239_zpsceb3c35a.jpg

Well you saw it here first -

IMG_0240_zpsad0517cc.jpg

They fit!!!

Tried to take a photo as best I could, they have more clearance than what it seems in the photos.

FYI - Wheels are 17x9". Unsure of offset but they're more aggressive than my 18x9.5+12 TE37's. Good quality forged race rims like LMGT4's etc should also clear.

IMG_0245_zpsb5f05a88.jpg

Thank you Import Monster for lending me the kit to test fit & Racepace for bolting them on and testing!

8 Piston 356mm kit in red ordered :)

You should have atleast 6mm clearance. Otherwise stones (on the road)/balled up rubber (On the track) will get stuck between the rim and the calliper and you will either gouge the rim (stones) or catch the robber on fire (err, rubber).

You should have atleast 6mm clearance. Otherwise stones (on the road)/balled up rubber (On the track) will get stuck between the rim and the calliper and you will either gouge the rim (stones) or catch the robber on fire (err, rubber).

gonna say this on behalf of RBN1..............................................

'SHE'L BE RIGHT MATE'

Nice caliper / brake buddy.

That's good advice. I think there is about 5mm clearance currently. I'll measure up when the kit is fitted. I will be moving to 18" 's in time however just didn't want to ditch the 17"'s just yet.

Ants, there is a lot of "she'll be right" involved with this fitment haha

I gave Comp Friction a call about those AP's and they were around the $4.9k mark. Hugely awesome setup but I can't justify the cost for my build atm. Maybe later down the track if I become truly serious about tracking the car again.

IMG_0239_zpsceb3c35a.jpg

Nice and yeah, tight fit!

What's the setup you got at the rear?

2 Piston Brembos? Or just OEM Nissan ones?

Nice and yeah, tight fit!

What's the setup you got at the rear?

2 Piston Brembos? Or just OEM Nissan ones?

OEM Nissan non Brembos with DBA 4000 rotors. Have bought a set of QFM A1RM's to go on there.Was thinking of possibly upgrading them as well but Chris swayed me, seeing as these cars are front heavy. Going to spend the $ elsewhere. May possibly get the calipers rebuilt depending on what the report is on their condition.

OEM Nissan non Brembos with DBA 4000 rotors. Have bought a set of QFM A1RM's to go on there.Was thinking of possibly upgrading them as well but Chris swayed me, seeing as these cars are front heavy. Going to spend the $ elsewhere. May possibly get the calipers rebuilt depending on what the report is on their condition.

I see!

Yes, Chris also told me the same thing and to leave the rear calipers as they are.

Just get a nice set of rear rotors and brake pads and that should do you fine.

Dropped by Racepace this morning.

AND..

P1070365_zps3545a0ec.jpg

….....it's out!

Engine Progress - Bottom end has been assembled and head is on.

P1070394_zps6013672b.jpg

P1070390_zps52a99d3e.jpg

Tomei Oil Pump & N1 Water Pump

Lots of progress with rest of car too.

Fuel tank is back in with Nismo intank pump.

P1070340_zps7a20857f.jpg

While the engine was out I've opted to have the HICAS removed. Racepace Lock Bar in place.

P1070360_zps9afa90e0.jpg

If you look closely you can see that the lines for HICAS have also been taken out. Weight saving of roughly 20kg for removing all the HICAS hardware. Power steering re-routed through cooler etc. Bilstein coilovers are also in.

Front and Rear Sway Bars also in.

P1070387_zpsf938d70c.jpg

RP don't see a problem with the current location of the Oil cooler so it will remain where it is.

P1070343_zpsf92c3f44.jpg

BMC leaking from proportioning valve resulting in all the brake fluid slowly draining out over 7 years. Will be upgrading to BM57 (R33/34 GTR)

P1070388_zps1fafea71.jpg

A few more things like the standard BOV's are also back. Roll cage will be removed shortly before the R34 GTR front seats are installed.

Motor is getting close to finish. Will need to wait till I get my cam covers back from Powder Coating.

P1070362_zps3e089c84.jpg

Didn't have time to get the cam covers sent off for powder coating then wait to be sent back from Sydney so decided to paint them myself - Candy Apple Red

All paint removed with paint stripper and ready for primer.

IMG_0270_zps797ee011.jpg

Etch Primered and ready for paint

IMG_0277_zps7abd155e.jpg

Silver Metallic base coat

IMG_0280_zpsdd6ad83f.jpg

First coat. RB26 Logo has been roughly masked up. Will peel off and use some thinner to get back to bare metal before clear coating.

IMG_0283_zps75c0ad6d.jpg

Dunno why it looks a bit pink in this photo

IMG_0289_zpsa344a7af.jpg

All done with 3 coats of clear coat.

IMG_0303_zps70d7d1ed.jpg

The colour has a nice subtle metallic look to it that doesn't come out in the photos. Unfortunately after this photo was taken I put them in some bubble wrap & after arriving at Racepace I realised that after 2 days the clear wasn't totally hard yet so they have some minor marks on them :/ Will get this fixed up after I get the car back. Shouldn't be too hard.

Old motor stripped of accessories. Importer told me it was a R33 N1 motor with N1 turbos - ends up it's a standard 05U block with standard turbos.

IMG_0308_zps9445201f.jpg

New motor coming along nicely. 9L sump and timing belt etc are on. Should be completely assembled this week and turn-key end of the week.

IMG_0305_zps35a8a8b1.jpg

Will need to drop by to take pics of the final assembled engine before it goes in.

Didn't have time to get the cam covers sent off for powder coating then wait to be sent back from Sydney so decided to paint them myself - Candy Apple Red

All paint removed with paint stripper and ready for primer.

IMG_0270_zps797ee011.jpg

Etch Primered and ready for paint

IMG_0277_zps7abd155e.jpg

Silver Metallic base coat

IMG_0280_zpsdd6ad83f.jpg

First coat. RB26 Logo has been roughly masked up. Will peel off and use some thinner to get back to bare metal before clear coating.

IMG_0283_zps75c0ad6d.jpg

Dunno why it looks a bit pink in this photo

IMG_0289_zpsa344a7af.jpg

All done with 3 coats of clear coat.

IMG_0303_zps70d7d1ed.jpg

The colour has a nice subtle metallic look to it that doesn't come out in the photos. Unfortunately after this photo was taken I put them in some bubble wrap & after arriving at Racepace I realised that after 2 days the clear wasn't totally hard yet so they have some minor marks on them :/ Will get this fixed up after I get the car back. Shouldn't be too hard.

How many coats of the silver did you do? And how many coats of the red?

Always wondered how metallic finishes like this are done, looks the goods :)

How many coats of the silver did you do? And how many coats of the red?

Always wondered how metallic finishes like this are done, looks the goods :)

Hi mate, thanks.

2 coats Silver. 4 coats red. The more coats of red, the deeper and darker the shade gets. Was a bit of an experiment on my part as I was always wanted to know how to do it as well. It's a very deep Candy Apple in real life without looking too showy.