SAU Community

E85 Act

Reese69

• 6 years later...
2 hours ago, Milhouse said:

What has happened to the price of e85 in Canberra!? It used to be cheaper than 98 and now it is almost 40c per litre dearer...!

I would say nothing happened to the price of e85 , Did the price of 98 go lower?

On 16/06/2020 at 11:17 PM, Ben C34 said:

I would say nothing happened to the price of e85 , Did the price of 98 go lower?

I remember when I was last looking at the price of e85 it was cheaper than 98 but maybe I am not remembering right...

On 17/06/2020 at 9:13 AM, Steve85 said:

Six and a half years. Not a bad dig up.

If you are converting your car to E85 for the fuel savings you're doing it wrong...

He he yep I did a search and this thread came up. Nope not looking for savings but just though last time I checked that was cheaper than 98 but you use allot more of it anyway but now can’t believe how much more expensive it is! But probably doesn’t have a big market in Canberra with only 2 servos selling it so got to be expected..

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Milhouse said:

He he yep I did a search and this thread came up.

You did a search? No one searches... Cue: the same question over and over... :D

I must say, i'm very spoiled being in Melbourne. There's United E85 dotted around in most locations. I feel bad for the rest of the country though... :( Good thing too my range is about 150km. 

• 4 months later...
On 20/06/2020 at 5:14 PM, Milhouse said:

He he yep I did a search and this thread came up. Nope not looking for savings but just though last time I checked that was cheaper than 98 but you use allot more of it anyway but now can’t believe how much more expensive it is! But probably doesn’t have a big market in Canberra with only 2 servos selling it so got to be expected..

it USED to be cheaper, but the market dropped out of it, and they realised performance peeps would still pay for it.

Now Caltex doesnt sell E flex, makes even more sense, as they have a monopoly on the market.

58 minutes ago, luke gtr said:

it USED to be cheaper, but the market dropped out of it, and they realised performance peeps would still pay for it.

Now Caltex doesnt sell E flex, makes even more sense, as they have a monopoly on the market.

It also needs to make financial sense for them to stand by it, it's a low turnover product with an expiration. If I was buying a product in bulk that was going to sit there and go off while very few people buy it, then I would be covering that risk by charging a premium for it. 

I just feel there isn't much reason for anybody to complain about it, flex fuel is so easily achievable that if you're running a high performance street car on dedicated E85 then that's really nobodys problem but your own. And if you only use it for the track, then it isn't that expensive that it makes a big difference compared to tyres and track hire. Personally I'm happy to pay the going rate for it if the alternative is that it's taken off the pump and we have to go back to ordering in 200l drums from Sucrogen.

• Like 1

Adding ethanol to 91 reduces the price.

Thus, Ethanol is cheaper than ULP 91 fuel. by a significant margin too.

Add more than 10% of it though, and it is somehow massively more expensive.

For that reason alone they can get f**ked. I am glad I'm on 98.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...