SAU Community

Front Mount Intercooler In A N/a Worth It?

with my last NA i was too poor to go to this much effort, I used to just open up the airbox and dump a bag of ice in there, so long as you put drain holes worked a treat..

You should have used dry ice, no water.

What you essentially did was my setup without the 6 or so PSI of boost. Without the throttle body, my set up cools the air going into the engine which is essentially what you did with the ice.

My mods would cost a maximum of $200...

$100 for used intecooler

$20 for pod

$10-30 for any old throttle body

$50 for silicone joiners, clamps and beer

So $200 for a 45+ kw gain is pretty amazing bang for the buck.

You should have used dry ice, no water.

What you essentially did was my setup without the 6 or so PSI of boost. Without the throttle body, my set up cools the air going into the engine which is essentially what you did with the ice.

My mods would cost a maximum of $200...

$100 for used intecooler

$20 for pod

$10-30 for any old throttle body

$50 for silicone joiners, clamps and beer

So $200 for a 45+ kw gain is pretty amazing bang for the buck.

I was happy enough with mine,

was enough to smash evo's and GTR's

I always thought the reason for an intercooler was to reduce the temp of the compressed air because the process of compressing it causes the air to heat up.

Because there is no compresson in a N/A there is no need for an intercooler.

Wouldn't a bonnet scoop directing cool air at the air filter be a better way?

I always thought the reason for an intercooler was to reduce the temp of the compressed air because the process of compressing it causes the air to heat up.

Because there is no compresson in a N/A there is no need for an intercooler.

Wouldn't a bonnet scoop directing cool air at the air filter be a better way?

Show me a bonnet scoop that can produce 45kw mate.

You're off with the fairies mate.

To put a bonnet scoop on a car like that it would cost over a grand for paint and panel, it would not produce the same power as my mod as the air isn't cooled, nor is it pressurised AND a big ass scoop like that is bound to be illegal.

I hope to God that you've never picked a spanner up and used it on a vehicle if you can't understand the simple concept of an intercooled N/A engine.

Why would I bother doing a mini how to if I hadn't seen the results first hand?

Just wait until I get to my mates house and take a pic of his set up. It's very tidy and is a huge improvement over stock.

Well actually I am a mechanic by trade and I've prob rebuilt more engines then you have seen.

Your whole concept is flawed, that fact you think running lower comp on an n/a motor is better just shows you lack of knowledge on how to get power out of an engine. You dont see TRD or Spoon selling decomp pistons for n/a's. The higher the comp the bigger the bang = more power, low comp equals fail town for an n/a, the reason guys decomp to go turbo is for greater protection from detonation so they can run more boost.

So stupid were you earlier comments I thought you were just f##king with the op, Maybe I should go and bash out my air flow meter and gain some killer wasps on my n/a.

You're off with the fairies mate.

To put a bonnet scoop on a car like that it would cost over a grand for paint and panel, it would not produce the same power as my mod as the air isn't cooled, nor is it pressurised AND a big ass scoop like that is bound to be illegal.

ya that's in USA

not feasible here.

that said your set-up is illegal in Vic anyhow

2 intake mods, a pod and a cooler, so you could still be defected.

and re the $200 build, sure if you want to blow a motor, boosting a stock motor even 6psi with no tune...bang

that said for a you could get a turbo motor as they run 7 psi stock and might get away with it.

Far out, some people don't read...

I never said CHANGE the throttle body. I said put one (an extra one) on the intercooler pipe work before the throttle body on the intake manifold.

The throttle body on the pipe work isn't attached to a cable. It just works off its own spring pressure. Once the intercooler fills up, the throttle body will be forced to open and then the air that enters the intake manifold is pressurised to a certain degree (roughly 6 psi depending on how strong the spring is on the throttle body).

The same result can be achieved with a valve but it's more effort. The throttle body has a large diameter and the butterfly opens and shuts by itself with the amount of air running past it. It's a very simple method. It also allows the car to idle because it doesn't shut completely.

It won't run QUITE as fast as a turboed car running 6 PSI, but it's a damn good increase for a little amount of work.

Gutting your AFM definitely increases your power a little bit, as there is less of a restriction to slow the air down.

You can run a little bit rich but that doesn't matter because you're forcing extra air into the engine. Don't gut the AFM unless you're fitting an intercooler and a means of controlling the air flow (valve or throttle body).

Just try it. If you don't like the results you can remove the parts and save them until you turbo the car, you're gunna need the parts anyway.

ok i came here cause Nik sent me..I will deal with him later but I have one question...

if the throttle body is closed until the car is moving and sucks air in.....

how does it move if the throttle body is closed??

do i have to park it on a hill everytime and roll it down to get the required air velocity in the intercooler to push throttle body 1 open so throttle body 2 can get air and therefor start my engine ..?

and what if i have an auto , i cant roll start it anyway...

seems to me there is flaws in your logic ....and as you have not shown us a picture of a twin throttle body on your orange car I have to say i dont believe it has one......

this thread is full retard.

like FULL

like FULL!!!

ok i came here cause Nik sent me..I will deal with him later but I have one question...

if the throttle body is closed until the car is moving and sucks air in.....

how does it move if the throttle body is closed??

do i have to park it on a hill everytime and roll it down to get the required air velocity in the intercooler to push throttle body 1 open so throttle body 2 can get air and therefor start my engine ..?

and what if i have an auto , i cant roll start it anyway...

seems to me there is flaws in your logic ....and as you have not shown us a picture of a twin throttle body on your orange car I have to say i dont believe it has one......

like FULL!!!

The throttle bodys are normally partially open so at low RPM it is feasable!

• Like 1

The throttle bodys are normally partially open so at low RPM it is feasable!

but he said it was stuck fully shut until air pushed it open ?

but even if it was partially open how do you gain the required speed to push it open if not air flows through the main throttle body...you would need a seperate bypass throttle body to get the air into the sytem to get it rolling..

so i have come to the conclusion that in order for this to work at least 3 throttle bodies would be required?..