SAU Community

Front Mount Intercooler In A N/a Worth It?

i gotta back kawa up. seen this on a nonturbo wrx before.

was tits.

The throttle bodys are normally partially open so at low RPM it is feasable!

These guys. They know.

Well actually I am a mechanic by trade and I've prob rebuilt more engines then you have seen.

Your whole concept is flawed, that fact you think running lower comp on an n/a motor is better just shows you lack of knowledge on how to get power out of an engine. You dont see TRD or Spoon selling decomp pistons for n/a's. The higher the comp the bigger the bang = more power, low comp equals fail town for an n/a, the reason guys decomp to go turbo is for greater protection from detonation so they can run more boost.

So stupid were you earlier comments I thought you were just f##king with the op, Maybe I should go and bash out my air flow meter and gain some killer wasps on my n/a.

This just doesn't make any sense. I mean. You don't want big bangs in your engine. That shit would get hot. And melt shit. Fark that. Small bangs mean less heat, and everyone knows less heat = moar fast. Are you sure you're a mechanic? I played with lego once...

• Like 1

Anyone who disagrees with this simple logic isn't a mechanics sphincter.

I'm not going to justify this mod anymore after this post.

The pics are there, the write up is there and the dyno sheet is there.

The engine won't grenade if you gut the AFM as it will richen the mixture enough for the small amount of boost generated.

End of story, anyone who knows a car from a bar of soap will agree and it's obvious who the dickheads in this thread are.

End of story, anyone who knows a car from a bar of soap will agree and it's obvious who the dickheads in this thread are.

What if the bar of soap is shaped like a car? Cos it gets hard for me then...

Edited by Hanaldo

SIMPLE LOGIC!

THATS IT IM OUT OF SIZES NOW. SO YEA. I GUESS WHAT KAWA SAID. IM GOING NOW. BECAUSE IF I KEEP TYPING THERE WILL BE NO MORE ROOM FOR YOU LOT TO ARGUE WITH THE MASTER!

Op - if you want to try this mate I have a spare de throttle body that I was planing to use to make this set up on my old rb25de motor until I spun the big end and bought the LS, if your in se qld mate you can have it as its no use to me anymore :)

Edited by Captain Natro

no...it doesnt make sense...the simply logic is that the car simply wont run above idle with the 2 throttle bodies closed...therefor I cannot get enough air velocity in the intercooler to open the first throttle body..so my question is

how am i supposed to overcome this...??

i can not ask this question any more simply and if you cant answer it, then you neither are a mechanics sphincter...

no...it doesnt make sense...the simply logic is that the car simply wont run above idle with the 2 throttle bodies closed...therefor I cannot get enough air velocity in the intercooler to open the first throttle body..so my question is

how am i supposed to overcome this...??

i can not ask this question any more simply and if you cant answer it, then you neither are a mechanics sphincter...

Are you serious?

Throttle bodies are never completely closed, the one on the engine opens up with the throttle cable, it sucks air passed the slightly open throttle body on the cooler and acts like a normal car.

The pipe work between the two coolers takes a short amount of time to fill up with air, but it's not noticeable in a real world situation. It's probably the equivalent to the lag experienced by fly by wire throttle set ups.

Once the car is moving and the cooler fills up and the first throttle body is forced open, it acts very similarly to a turbocharged car coming onto boost.

where are you getting this garbage from....throttle bodies are completely closed you goose...until you push the accelerator air is bypassed through your idle control valve and that is what makes it run...when you push the accelerator the throttle body opens and air rushes into the engine cause the revs to rise so the car can move....its simple logic...but in your setup when i push the accelerator according to your "logic" there will only be a small amount of air in the pipe that wont last very long at all and thats assuming you have a leaky throttle body..so i very much doubt its going to last long enough to get the car up to a decent enough speed to create 6psi of boost in the intercooler.. I guesstimate this would take at least 20 mtres of driving...where is your air supply coming form for that 20 mtres?? and its going to take even longer to build up pressure if you have a leaky throttle body....

throttle bodies are completely closed you goose...until you push the accelerator air is bypassed through your idle control valve and that is what makes it run...when you push the accelerator the throttle body opens and air rushes into the engine cause the revs to rise so the car can move....its simple logic...but in your setup when i push the accelerator there will only be a small amount of air in the pipe that wont last very long at all..so i very much doubt its going to last long enough to get the car up to a decent enough speed to create 6psi of boost in the intercooler.. I guesstimate this would take at least 20 mtres of driving...where is your air supply coming form for that 20 mtres??

Obviously you have to set the first throttle body so it's not completely closed but not open enough that it lets the air passed prematurely.

If you're really worried you can warm the car up, disconnect the IACV and increase your idle speed so you can move without touching the accelerator. It's not necessary, though.

on a side note has anybody seen the BMW4219ELi...

its utterly amazing..It's made to fulfill a small boys dream. The BMW 4219ELi, It’s powered by 19 Porsche boxer engines, each producing 459 horsepower for a grand total of 8721 it has 42 wheels and a Motorsport spoiler.

Due for Le Mans 24hr in 2014

535790_10151492933484122_69671740_n_zps24e83a12.jpg

I wonder how many throttle bodies it has??

on a side note has anybody seen the BMW4219ELi...

its utterly amazing..It's made to fulfill a small boys dream. The BMW 4219ELi, It’s powered by 19 Porsche boxer engines, each producing 459 horsepower for a grand total of 8721 and due for production 2014..im saving my pennys now

535790_10151492933484122_69671740_n_zps24e83a12.jpg

I wonder how many throttle bodies it has??

Only needs two.

The air is trapped inside the cooler and it can't escape until the throttle body is forced completely open, then the air rushes into the engine.

The dyno sheet doesn't lie dude.

but how does it get into the intercooler in the first place when there is nothing there to suck it in???

It's forced in there through the pod filter.

Air takes the path of least resistance, but if there is a duct going to the pod, it has nowhere to go other than through the filter and into the cooler.

well i dont see any duct on your car and the car has to move first until then it cant be forced in...and unless your have your IACV set at 2000rpm, until you open the throttle body the car cant move...do you see where i'm going man....

anyway i have to duck out for a bit just think about ok...