SAU Community

An Alternative Ecu Choice Worth Considering.

Guilt-Toy

I have seen a few threads recently and also have recieved a few PM's where people have asked advice about certain ECU's.

So I thought it would be a good idea to start a thread about my current ECU of choice.

Most of you probably don't know me, but I have been a user on SAU since i purchased my first skyline back in 2002, since then after a blown engine i realised that i should never let anyone tune my car again and started to learn myself with the help of SAU of course.

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/topic/287968-guilt-toy-in-georgia-former-soviet-union/

Since then I am now a professional tuner in the UAE, I tune cars in Abu Dhabi and Dubai + other cities here for over 2 years now and 4+ years abroad, all kinds of cars... and ALL ecu's. The ecu i tune the most now is Motec.

So the whole point of this thread is a certain ECU that has really tickled my fancy, for more reasons then one.... and i would like to share this.

That ecu is the new Select range of Adaptronics.

In this thread i will try and explain why, and also give as much info as I can about them and I will also post some tuned maps of customers cars with the ECU that I have tuned here.

Firstly, my street car in the UAE, its a 2004 American spec z33 350z, its had the v6 engine removed and a RB30 from a VL with a 26 head installed, its running ID1000 injectors and HKS2510 turbo's on stock manifolds. with stock bottom end.

I was running a Vi-pec ecu in this car for about 12 months until one day it decided that ignition number 3 did not want to run anymore, so it was time to try something a bit cheaper and when looking at the specs it did not seem that much different anyway ?

lets talk about the difference between the two.

The vipec runs the injectors fully sequential, where the adaptronic plugin is group fire.

The vipec runs the igntition in wasted spark, so does the adaptronic.

Lets talk about group fire and sequential and also wasted spark.

I have personally seen and tuned cars in wasted spark with 800+ hp at the wheels, if you have coils good enough for the task I am 100% certain that you will never have ANY issues no matter how much you hear from joe blow.

I have also seen a friend of mine here, a tuner test a link G4 ecu tuned supra making 700hp, it was running wasted spark and also sequential injection, he changed the injectors to run off 2 injector drivers and back to back runs without much changes to the tune to make no difference in power or in drivability.

I purchased one of these ECU's and installed it into my car and tuned it up, because i am using the stock 26 intake manifold and throttles i setup the tune to run a VE map with TPS and using MAP as a corection on boost.

Since using this setup I have to say that this ECU really impressed me, one of the things that really impressed me was how well it tunes compared to other big brands, and I am talking.... I know this sounds bad but it tunes sooo much better then a motec, haltech, even the G4 / Vi-pec..... the VE on the adaptronic reminds me of the Autronic more then anything which is far far better then the motec M series, which is not a true VE system anyway.

The skyline plug in select ecu comes with its own case, so you don't have to butcher your old ECU to make it work, and inside the ecu there are also some other differences.

Inside the ecu you can connect 2 external cables, with more available options then the G4 / vi-pec plug ins. I decided to open the ECU and instead of using the suggested plug that adaptronic sell, (not worth the shipping all the way to the UAE) i decided to manually solder some wires to the ecu board which worked a charm also. (pics will be posed) I connected the thermo fan to this and its working great.

The software on the adaptronic is not as easy or used friendly as the G4/ Vi-pec, its on about par with motec IMO, but now after tuning a few of them its really no different once you remember where everything is.

one of my customers had a american spec 240z, which had a RB25DET NEO installed. This car needed a full wire job so i took on the task of installing a Adaptronic e420d BASIC ecu, which is a wire in ecu. This ecu retails for less then $1000 and it is NO different then the select, just that it needs to be wired manually. When we installed the ECU we did not hook up any of the idle control, none of the Air conditioning inputs or corrections just the ECU runing the engine and rest was setup by tuning.

the customer is sooo happy with his car, even now the car has air conditioning and idles like a treat! its just sooo cheap and basic and easy to setup, for me really its just easy quick setup and tune and go...

So about my own car, this ecu has been running in there for the last 4 or 5 months, I have the vi-pec getting repaired and also i have a RB26 power fc which i was planing on installing in this car, but now I am not going to remove it or touch it as the car is running perfect!!!

I have installed this ecu in a few cars now, Nissan TB48de nissan patrol, a S14 silvia with a LS3 V8, a G37 infinity with a RB30DET, and also my 350z and I have nothing but good things to say about this, to put it in a nut shell its a budget priced ECU which has options that puts in the mid to high ecu class.

I recommend this ECU to anyone in the Skyline scene, the support you get from Adaptronic is also very good.

here is a video of my 350z when i tuned it a couple of months ago, i have since then rebuilt the engine (australia day burnouts got the better of me) and its even going even better now!!!

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=370462689716897

Some pics also. I will help anyone as much as i can, just post up your questions in this thread and when i get time I will reply, I am also quite new to the ECU compared to the link / vipec / motec / autronic etc etc but willing to help out as much as I can.

I will post up the map of the r34 NEO and also my 350z and here are some pics.

The only other ECU that i have seen that even comes close to this is the Haltech platinum sport 500, except the Haltech does not support Boost control!!! to use a solinoid on the haltech you have to set it up as a dodgy general output with no options at all, the adaptronic has full open and closed loop boost control! the plug in even has flex sensor support, so IMO it leaves the basic haltech for dead.

The Adaptronic can also support a AFM if you would like it to, it also has a 4 bar map sensor STANDARD out of the box and a vac line and tuning cable provided.

Adaptronic Select plug-in

post-1240-0-80519900-1361578119_thumb.jpg

350z Dyno with old engine

post-1240-0-74963000-1361578131_thumb.jpg

My 350z

post-1240-0-62603900-1361578141_thumb.jpg post-1240-0-11146100-1361578290_thumb.jpg

The VIP customer's Drift car, Sheikh of UAE.

post-1240-0-18642000-1361578816_thumb.jpg post-1240-0-64927300-1361578870_thumb.jpg

post-1240-0-04628600-1361579292_thumb.jpg post-1240-0-32635400-1361579380_thumb.jpg

post-1240-0-24294900-1361579448_thumb.jpg

G37 infinity engine bay shot (engine getting rebuilt- the stock block had bearing issues)

post-1240-0-58057000-1361578302_thumb.jpg

Datsun US spec NEO RB25

post-1240-0-19982700-1361579510_thumb.jpg post-1240-0-74568500-1361579577_thumb.jpg

I will continue to add what i can to this thread, and will also be posting tuned maps shortly, the software is available for download on the web site and also beta versions available on the forums.

please do not flood me with questions by PM, you can post them in this thread or also you can ask on my facebook page.

http://facebook.com/tunedbyanthony

Please note that I have nothing to gain by posting this, I am not tuning in Australia nor am I a dealer there. If you wish to purchase one of these ecu's please go to www.adaptronic.com.au and check out the dealer list or purchase online at the store. I cannot buy and sell this ecu within Australia.

Glad i made the decision to purchased my plug in select.

Car idled better than it ever did with stock ecu and an rb20 nistune ecu, unfortunatly thats as far as the ecu has gone so far.

Car is in the middle of a 2 yeah stint in the shed for "upgrades"

yeah!! i agree! one thing i noticed is how well my z returned back to idle! it never stalls or misses a beat. you notice lots of little differences when going from one ecu to another thats for sure.

2 years of upgrades? woooahhhh should be good then.

I hope they are working on modern ecu replacements, targeting their market at 20 yr old cars with multiple plugin options seems... pointless in a business sense. Good to see they are doing an RX8 ecu, but piggyback?

Adaptronic seem very approachable, perhaps there is hope for the humble M35 Stagea yet. I will have to make some enquiries.

yeah!! i agree! one thing i noticed is how well my z returned back to idle! it never stalls or misses a beat. you notice lots of little differences when going from one ecu to another thats for sure.

2 years of upgrades? woooahhhh should be good then.

yeah funny you should say that cause the only problem i am having is return to idle, but i doubt it is an ecu related problem

.It idles beautifully at startup usually, but after a drive the idle issue often returns randomly where it will idle high (around 2000rpm or so) then gradually drop after about 30seconds to normal...or other times it will bounce around between say 800-2000...having a button clutch it often works in my favour having the idle sitting high but it would be nice to sort it out...

A couple of good tuners have fiddled with it and it gets better but its still there...but after hearing that Im almost certain now its a mechanical issue and not in the tuning..

but all aside i love the ecu and utilizing the inbuilt boost and map just keeps everything so simple..the hardest thing I had to do was wire in a air temp sensor..

Thanks for that Guilt Toy - so much better than " I have an xyz ecu and its the greatest" - without any substantiation.

Sorry :(

Nice write up Anthony, I'm not suprised you've found the Select range fantastic to tune for clients and yourself as have I.

In particular with the Nissans, Adaptronic utilizes the 2 degree tooth windows from the CAS to provide more accurate ignition delivery and faster starting compared to many others.

In my opinion the features, performance and support you recieve with this product is without peer, especially for the price. It takes a tuner with an eye for detail to fully appreciate the depth of programmability available if you choose to leverage it, especially with things like idle control as is evidenced by the experiences you have shared above.

I have tuned several Skylines in the 600hp to 800hp bracket with the plugin range and they work a treat. Up until a few years ago when I took the Adaptronic brand on the only ECU I would sell and support was Motec. Today I would install and tune ten Adaptronics for every Motec I do now among all the other brands we tune if brought to us.

I would recommend anybody in the market for an aftermarket ECU to find a workshop or tuner familar with the product so you can judge for yourself.

Some of the results I've had with Adaptronic ECUs in Skylines:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150143694703086.333074.679023085&type=3#!/photo.php?fbid=10150274503933086&set=a.10150143694703086.333074.679023085&type=3&theater'>Dyno sheet from the first plugin select I tuned on a GTR back in June 2011 with ECU controlled boost This one went on to take http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150293923863086.380173.679023085&type=3#!/photo.php?fbid=10150293931818086&set=a.10150293923863086.380173.679023085&type=3&theater'>outright first at the sprint meeting it was built to compete in.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.321700701208477.93854.195058900539325&type=3#!/photo.php?fbid=449184408460105&set=a.321700701208477.93854.195058900539325&type=3&theater'>Dyno sheet from a R33 RB25 GTS-t street car built for Powercruise fun

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiv6jqYD59E'>A pull on the dyno with Ant's R33 and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TT_Jh1mYXoc'>at Powercruise Qld Raceway last year and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPUo0XCrRGs'>from inside his R33

For any Adaptronic specific questions hit the http://adaptronic.com.au/forum/'>Adaptronic forum and ask, you'll have an answer within 24 hours in most cases, often less and this way Anthony can get on with doing what he does, tuning engines!

Edited by Impul_GT-R

I am in the process of upgrading my R33 GTR's PFC. I have read that the VIPEC does not have data logging. And it apears the Adaptronic does with a software download. A few questions I couldnt find answers to on Adaptronic's website.

1. Does its plug in ECU support launch control or anti lag?

2. Doe s the ecu have powered outputs?

3. How is the Datalogging? I am use to the datalogit and PFC and although simple, it works really well.

4. I noticed on their site that they have a plug in ECU for the R32 and R33. I have a 95 R33 GTR so would the 32 ECU be correct seeing as I have a series one car. Email sent to Adaptronic too.

Would you recommend a Vipec? As I have found one for a decent price.

Thanks all.

Nice write up Anthony, I'm not suprised you've found the Select range fantastic to tune for clients and yourself as have I.

In particular with the Nissans, Adaptronic utilizes the 2 degree tooth windows from the CAS to provide more accurate ignition delivery and faster starting compared to many others.

In my opinion the features, performance and support you recieve with this product is without peer, especially for the price. It takes a tuner with an eye for detail to fully appreciate the depth of programmability available if you choose to leverage it, especially with things like idle control as is evidenced by the experiences you have shared above.

I have tuned several Skylines in the 600hp to 800hp bracket with the plugin range and they work a treat. Up until a few years ago when I took the Adaptronic brand on the only ECU I would sell and support was Motec. Today I would install and tune ten Adaptronics for every Motec I do now among all the other brands we tune if brought to us.

I would recommend anybody in the market for an aftermarket ECU to find a workshop or tuner familar with the product so you can judge for yourself.

Some of the results I've had with Adaptronic ECUs in Skylines:

Dyno sheet from the first plugin select I tuned on a GTR back in June 2011 with ECU controlled boost This one went on to take outright first at the sprint meeting it was built to compete in.

Dyno sheet from a R33 RB25 GTS-t street car built for Powercruise fun

and
and

For any Adaptronic specific questions hit the Adaptronic forum and ask, you'll have an answer within 24 hours in most cases, often less and this way Anthony can get on with doing what he does, tuning engines!

nice to see that other tuners agree.

have you ever seen the dreaded RPM trigger issues with the select ecu ? I have yet to see it happen with the ones I have tuned. have you ever had to change the trigger disk in the cas???

I have had to do it with the vipec and with autronic, but not the Adaptronic yet, which is weird.

bang for buck this ECU is the winner by far, and I do not think that is going to change anytime soon.

I am in the process of upgrading my R33 GTR's PFC. I have read that the VIPEC does not have data logging. And it apears the Adaptronic does with a software download. A few questions I couldnt find answers to on Adaptronic's website.

1. Does its plug in ECU support launch control or anti lag?

2. Doe s the ecu have powered outputs?

3. How is the Datalogging? I am use to the datalogit and PFC and although simple, it works really well.

4. I noticed on their site that they have a plug in ECU for the R32 and R33. I have a 95 R33 GTR so would the 32 ECU be correct seeing as I have a series one car. Email sent to Adaptronic too.

Would you recommend a Vipec? As I have found one for a decent price.

Thanks all.

1: YES. and there is even a video of the man behind the Adaptronic himself demonstrating how to set it up and how it works personally. pretty cool huh ?

2: yes it does.

3: the dataloging is not one of its up sides at the moment but improvments are on the way i am told, when i datalog i use a program called mega log viewer available for free here.

http://tunerstudio.com/index.php/megalogviewer

Also who the hell told you the Vi-pec does not have logging? what a load of bullshit. the Vi-pec has internal memory which can be triggered by a switch or even when the engine goes over a certain RPM, the logging part of the Vi-Pec is very good.

back to the adaptronic, I use the software to log the data then i use mega log viewer to open it and view the data. its quite user friendly.

4: yes the skyline select ecu is what you need, its the same one in my 350z mate.

http://www.skylineecu.com/

I think you will find that the differences between the vi-pec and the adaptronic would not be much, if you were to drive a car with either of the ecu's installed and tuned you would not be able to tell the difference between them, why buy a used ECU when you can get a brand new one with warranty for around the same price ?

either way both ecu's will be a good upgrade for you, you will just find the new Adaptronic better value for money imo.

Great write up Anthony, have you had any experience with flex fuel tuning with the adaptronic? Or is that not a done thing over there?

I'm about to buy a Link G4 for flex fuel, MAP and so forth, which do you believe would be better for those purposes? Does the Adaptronic have similar diversity in the dimensions of the tuning map as the Link?

Cheers.

Guiltoy- can u explain the rpm trigger issues?

I have not long ago installed a autronic sm4 to my rb30/26, using the stock cas seems to be fine or can i be missing something? Mine is the 1.09 chip which is meant to work well with stock cas discs, wat chip version were u using when u had to change disc?

How do you rate the autronic against other ecus?, i have found it fairly easy to tune and have a good result running the tps map with the boost correction being done automaticly, pretty amazing.

we do not have e85 here, so since I have left Australia thats when my e85 days ended...

i am confident the select ecu will do the same job as the G4.

sky30: the triggering issues... trust me if you had them you would know about it.. on my drift car it has a vi-pec in it, the symptoms are that the rpm will fluctuate like nuts at high rpm, so when on the dyno doing a run i would hit a 7000rpm rev limiter when the engine is only reving to 5500.

when you look at the logs you can see how sketchy the RPM is, but this also can have alot to do with old cas;s and cars with cams as well it just puts it all out of whack sometimes, but other times you will never have a problem.

its the luck of the draw i guess, i remember one car with a vi-pec had triggering issues even after we installed the autronic trigger disc. you must be one of the lucky ones.

and yes 1.09 supports the nissan 360 optical, and it does work quite well. IMO the Autronic ecu tunes better then most of the ecu's on the market, they are just getting really old here now and we are finding many faulty ones, but in their defense the weather here, and the heat they endure in the cars in summer... its a wonder they dont melt.

another thing thats nice about the adaptronic is the knock control and how you can plug a set of headphones into the ecu and listen to the engine directly using the stock knock sensors!

nice to see that other tuners agree.

have you ever seen the dreaded RPM trigger issues with the select ecu ? I have yet to see it happen with the ones I have tuned. have you ever had to change the trigger disk in the cas???

I have had to do it with the vipec and with autronic, but not the Adaptronic yet, which is weird.

bang for buck this ECU is the winner by far, and I do not think that is going to change anytime soon.

I haven't had those trigger issues on the select like as seen with others. I have logs of Select ECU's running Nissan engines to 9000rpm without the any of the RPM artifacts you've described - I have no doubt you'd be familiar with sawtooth looking RPM traces pulled from Motec's etc. The engine position being derived from the 2 degree windows has a lot to do with Adaptronic's immunity to this.

Guilt Toy,

Thank you for sharing your knowledge!!! Very impressed. I have made my choice. Adaptronic has everything I am looking for and none of the issues experienced by the other ECU's. I do realize its a new player in the market, but the level of support is great.

Thanks again.

Thanks for sharing this stuff Anthony, I'm always on the look out for options - I've mainly tuned and recommended Links so far but always on the look out for other options, especially if competitively priced. I've joined up on the Adaptronic forum and about to start trolling posts to get a bit more of a picture :)

also don't be scared of buying the cheaper basic ecu and hacking wire looms, or making completly new wire looms... the basic ecu and plug in ecu is not very much different!

i use the plug in for original un hacked cars, but when a car comes with an engine conversion il go for the basic ecu and wire it in the car with a fresh new harness. end result is pretty much the same and they are even cheaper again.