SAU Community

Deadlift Progress And Improvement Thread

rev210

Yep I do lock out that way and I love my scars from making love to the bar. I never experienced pain attempting deadlifts post-injury*, I was just cautious about doing them during recovery because of putting so much weight on the joint. The great Rev advised me that my kind of injury could be aggravated by them and just about heavy weight placed on the arm.

*I did try 90kg about 2 weeks after the injury initially occurred, to test for pain, and I had a bit of a pinch when the injured arm was supinated, but not when pronated.

Very surprised I was able to lift that given my absence from the exercise and straight after squats (normally did deads on a seperate day). I'd attribute it to maintaining my back with squats in the meantime. Here's hoping I can continue these cause I really missed them and my weekly progress!

Yeah, 2 months off and I did I PB. Not as much is lost as people think.

Fark me, my entire back is really sore and it feels awesome...like newbie DOMS.

Having not done any lat work for 2 months either, this is the first time I've properly felt the effects of deadlifts all over the back. I guess previously I was doing so much lat exercise that the upper back never felt it and I thought deadlifts were only about the lower back! Great to feel/know how comprehensive the exercise actually is.

90kg x 10

110kg x 10

140kg x 4

90kg x 10

110kg x 10

140kg x 6

My form was a bit better tonight on the heavier weight. Other good news is, I'm only 1 rep off what I used to do on 140kg. Next week I'll try for 7 reps of 140kg, followed by whatever I can bust out of 150kg.

Current goal: 200kg 1RM

Next goal: 220kg 1RM

I deadlifted 40kg x 5... then I had to ice my back... it's well and truly fckd... long rehab ahead... so very, very, very gay

on the bright side I'm going to be doing a heap of upper body work... so I should be pretty jacked by summer lol

I deadlifted 40kg x 5... then I had to ice my back... it's well and truly fckd... long rehab ahead... so very, very, very gay

I wouldn't normally read too much into that until I read your comment in the 'squatting' thread about wanting to see big buys with big legs racing bikes and getting sweaty and puffed out.... lol

on the bright side I'm going to be doing a heap of upper body work... so I should be pretty jacked by summer lol

lol we're polar opposites. Hoping to have jacked legs by summer, can't do upper body due to injury :/

Man I'm really sorry to hear this.

As I said... plenty of time to compete.

It's not like the next nationals is going to be worse than this year... it will always be bigger and better than the last one.

you better start eating then mate... big legs are hard work... especially for a taller bloke

Yes sir! I've put on quite a bit of size already over the last year, thanks to noob gains and filling up an hour long gym session with nothing but leg training. Looking much more proportionate than ever after years of neglecting legs, so pretty stoked about that. Do want more strength and size in them, though!

And I miss bench / overhead press / pulldowns :(

Man I'm really sorry to hear this.

As I said... plenty of time to compete.

It's not like the next nationals is going to be worse than this year... it will always be bigger and better than the last one.

Thanks dude... yeah of course your right but it's still frustrating... this was the first time I'd done Max's program for a comp and it was a lot more organised and structured than what I was doing... also a lot more volume which was really working... I'd never felt stronger

I'd just settle for being pain free for day to day shit at the moment... never considered the amount of shit that's painful to do with a crook back... whoever designed a dishwasher can get fcked lol

Birds I feel your pain mate... just gotta get in there and do what we can