SAU Community

Deadlift Progress And Improvement Thread

rev210

not warmup sets its progressive sets but it depends on what your goals are when it comes to deadlifts to whether or not you would go that way.

3x8-12 at the same weight doesnt seem progressive?

what goals would said workout be towards?

3x8-12 at the same weight doesnt seem progressive?

what goals would said workout be towards?

no 3x8 isnt progressive at all.....i ment if your setting 3x8 @ 100k thats where you would start off

so say if you are doing sets of 8 @ 100kg (max) then you would start at a precentage of that or even at max and do progressive increase

so start @ 1x 100kg add 2.5kg or 5kg or 10kg and continue with 1 rep. Obviously form is cruical here to increase 1RM and continue till failure so would be like this

1x100

1x110

1x120

1x130

1x135

1x140

1x142.5 (so max 1RM)

1x145 but fail

Then next week you would say start at 130kg and do it all over again

====

8 - 12 reps would would be heading into hypertrophy (building size) tho you would want to do 4sets

7x2 is also again different to both the above which is why it really depends on what you want to achieve

• 2 weeks later...

Why not both?

90 x 10

110 x 10

140 x 7

155 x 4

Had no grip issues tonight, cooler weather = no sweat. Next sesh: 160 for reps.

Argh, been sick for the last two weeks and my gym loves to close for holidays any chance it gets. Gave this a shot tonight, though:

90kg x 10

110kg x 10

140kg x 7

160kg x 3

I'd like to see 4-5 of 160kg next session, before stepping up the weight again. I probably had it in me tonight, but it would have been bad form by the end of it and, with my mate pinching a nerve last week during his deadlifts, I'm rather obsessive about maintaining form. Very happy with my progress though; can't be too far off a 200kg 1RM.

How is everyone else going with their deads? Or do we need to rename this the Birds deadlift thread?

nothing wrong with training higher rep ranges periodically... this was the first real week of programming leading up to Nationals so we are doing sets of 10

warmups to 120 then

140 x 10

140 x 10

140 x 10

then from a deficit

140 x 5

150 x 5

160 x 5

180 x 5

didn't there used to be a squat thread?

how tall are you? body shape has advantages towards different lifts somewhat.

also, how long have you been squatting/deadlifting compared to bench? the first weights anyone would be introduced to would be curls or bench at young ages...+ chins/pullups and pushups....

Edited by jangles

how tall are you? body shape has advantages towards different lifts somewhat.

also, how long have you been squatting/deadlifting compared to bench? the first weights anyone would be introduced to would be curls or bench at young ages...+ chins/pullups and pushups....

I have decently long legs for a 6'1 guy but leg length is a poor excuse IMO.

I have only been doing deads and squats since September, so not that long really.

Im just generally not that strong in any lifts hence why I'm doing PPP to try and change that a bit.

I try to avoid using them as an excuse, because all excuses do is stop you from achieving your goals...but long legs do serve a slight disadvantage for some lifts. Consider that deficit deads, which are done at less weight than off the floor, are based on your hips sitting higher than the normal position ala longer legs.

A long torso will also impact on an exercise like stiff legged deadlifts (or deads with high hips), due to added leverage in favour of the weight.

Tall people have more leverage to work against during squats.

However, long arms (also common on tall people) are said to be an advantage for deads and a disadvantage for bench (increased range of motion).

Either way, people have defied these generalisations, because your body, regardless of shape and size, will find ways around all this shit. You might not be genetically set up to win 1st place in a lifting comp, but there's no reason you can't get damn strong and come close, if that's your goal. Only have to look at the <6ft NBA players who punch above their height and can slam dunk, for inspiration.

• 1 month later...

90kg x 10

110kg x 10

140kg x 7

160kg x 3

I'd like to see 4-5 of 160kg next session, before stepping up the weight again.

As many of you know, I've had a shoulder injury for the last two months, which, playing it safe, has prevented me from doing anything but leg exercise. I'm on the road to recovery as far as pain goes, but I think my shoulder will forever sound like a ratchet spanner.

Having not done deadlifts for 2 months has been very depressing for me and, looking at the empty bar tonight after squats made me say f**k it...let's give deads a go. And so it went:

90kg x 10

110kg x 10

140kg x 4

First two sets were pronated and third set was a mixed, with pronated injured shoulder and supinated non-injured. No pain so far; fingers crossed for the morrow.

Very surprised I was able to lift that given my absence from the exercise and straight after squats (normally did deads on a seperate day). I'd attribute it to maintaining my back with squats in the meantime. Here's hoping I can continue these cause I really missed them and my weekly progress!