SAU Community

Dont Be Fooled Into Buying Cheap Coil Packs.

We see it week in week out... a customer gets told the cheap Chinese coils are no different to the OEM or splitfire range of coil packs well i can tell you they are.

I see at least one set of the 3 generic brands on the Australian market fail each week and here is the latest.... these are new 70-100 kilometer old ATOMIC coilpacks breaking down at 17psi. .. dropped in set new std ones and a set of 40,000km old splitfire coil packs and bingo 80rwkw gain...

post-34927-0-70146600-1362898491_thumb.jpg

Where do yellow jackets sit in this discussion?

From what I have gathered they are a helluva lot better than those Atomic or whatever the hell ebay specials up there but not as reliable as splitfires. theres a thread comparing all the ones of any interest here:

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/topic/187108-jjr-coil-packs-vs-oem-vs-splitfire-vs-other/

Darron at Just Jap had once just sold a set of Splitfires > within 2 days there was misfiring > they were sent off for warranty > warranty claim declined (for reasons unknown to me). So even Splitfires can have a glitch or two.

Super Spark are the only brand I've known to honour a warranty claim - just about regardless - within the time limit.

I still use Splitfires tho'

Companies which wriggle out of warranties by any means, make my blood boil. A bad batch of Bosch 044 pumps are cases in point.

Despite the above I do have a reasonable level of faith/respect for the yellow jacket coils and their suppliers.

The suppliers on this forum actually send out a batch of the product to have it tested in the real world by regular users. Given that there will still be a failure here and there that is a good way of getting a feel for the product and its worth in the market.

As such I wont write off the yellow jackets just yet, most people do fine out of them.

Where do yellow jackets sit in this discussion?

Same bucket as the others.

OEM or SPLITFIRE are the only real options.

i have thrown out so many other brands of coil packs its crazy.. generally they always die just out of warranty or on the second owner as most guys honestly dont own imports much longer than 2 years.... so on average these chinese branded coil packs last about the same amount of kms as a set of copper spark plugs lol

Glad i kept my oem ones in the shed.

Getting a nistune and pump etc soon, we will see how it goes ay?

Same bucket as the others.

OEM or SPLITFIRE are the only real options.

i have thrown out so many other brands of coil packs its crazy.. generally they always die just out of warranty or on the second owner as most guys honestly dont own imports much longer than 2 years.... so on average these chinese branded coil packs last about the same amount of kms as a set of copper spark plugs lol

You said the cheapos break down at high boost....If im not chasing big power will yellows be ok?

Or is it time/heat that kills them?

I think it's partly a quality issue too.

So many people I have spoken to say 5/6 work.

Painfull to get 1 replaced from supplier :(

You end up chasing your tail, replace the dead one then month later another falls over and the cycle starts over.

Status, I was always of the opinion that coils works or didn't work. But this dyno chart above shows that they can appear to be "working" but just producing way less than expected. Have you seen this with other types of coilpack mentioned above?

Status, I was always of the opinion that coils works or didn't work. But this dyno chart above shows that they can appear to be "working" but just producing way less than expected. Have you seen this with other types of coilpack mentioned above?

No its actually the opposite the coils will work fine until they are required to work under high load.. then the missfire. Car ran fine at 12psi but could not light the fires above 16psi

I've been meaning to share my experience. It's been a positive one regarding the purchase of performance coilpacks off ebay.

I'm not arguing the validity of claims made in OP nor quick to jump to conclusions around speding the big $ for quality. Everyone knows you get what you pay for.

This view may help those thinking of buying second hand.

Given my budget I was rather disenchanted with paying big dollars for second-hand brandname coils - generally some only seemed to be a 20% discount to what you would buy new.

To put things in perspective: 1. They're second hand. 2. Private sellers do not necessarily have a reputation to uphold or trade as a business. 3. Km's and/or their performance for the parts are generally unverified 4. No warranty 5. Recourse for disputes generally don't exist.

20% discount doesn't seem very attractive after-taking the above into consideration, a risk I would avoid all together and simply buy new if I could have afforded it.

The ones I use claim to have a 2-year warranty. Local Aussie seller. Recourse in Aus. - replacement. Ebay Powerseller 99.8% feedback.

I currently make 260rkw with them. $265 NEW and am currently very happy.

Happy to answer any questions. Not interested in people knocking me for using them. I'm simply spelling out better alternatives to secondhand. -knock the ones selling second hand ones at a 20-25% discount to new.