SAU Community

Dont Be Fooled Into Buying Cheap Coil Packs.

Just wanted to let people know- going for 300kw + on e85. Tuner has come back telling me coilpack #5 is arcing out all over the place. Told him to drop in Splitfires STAT.

We were still both impressed they managed 260kw though.

So when the mod bug bites, you'll eventually need them.

260kw on E85 is only about 220ish on 98. Still ended up costing twice for coil packs.

260kw on E85 is only about 220ish on 98. Still ended up costing twice for coil packs.

How do you work that out? Can be a lot of factors in that. Mine went from 255kw on 98 to 266 on e85 on same boost, same setup. There's a lot of variables including restrictions.

If you had wound the boost up to take advantage of the E85 properly, then you would likely have made 280rwkW provided you had the flow available in the turbo. That whole "same boost, same setup" is the reason you made little extra power.

A related question. Has anyone gone from std to something like Splitfires and backed off plug gaps? Technically speaking the smaller the gap the less power? Is it possible to get an improvement or just a pipe dream?

How do you work that out? Can be a lot of factors in that. Mine went from 255kw on 98 to 266 on e85 on same boost, same setup. There's a lot of variables including restrictions.

You need some one who knows what they are doing with E85.

If you had wound the boost up to take advantage of the E85 properly, then you would likely have made 280rwkW provided you had the flow available in the turbo. That whole "same boost, same setup" is the reason you made little extra power.

The boost was 18psi, which was fairly high. Winding more boost in wasn't helping, implying restrictions, which I think I have now sorted. It's going back in tomorrow for a do-over. ;)

You need some one who knows what they are doing with E85.

Lol. As above, the car setup was not ideal and so couldn't make more out of the better fuel like it should have. Pretty sure it was exhaust and intercooler problems, which as above I hope to have rectified with tomorrow's tune. I'm pretty sure the tuner is capable of working with e85.

Anyway, my point was you seemed to be plucking a 98 figure from the air based on an e85 figure which can be massively different from car to car.

Not really. "98 done right" and "e85 done right" have a reasonably standard % difference between them - given that one of the major variables (that of it being burnt in an RB25) remains the same. You have to assume that there are no other limiting factors involved, or you have to describe absolutely everything about both engines. The former is definitely the easier.

Not really. "98 done right" and "e85 done right" have a reasonably standard % difference between them - given that one of the major variables (that of it being burnt in an RB25) remains the same. You have to assume that there are no other limiting factors involved, or you have to describe absolutely everything about both engines. The former is definitely the easier.

That's fairly true from what I've seen.

Would you also believe that e85 is likely to put less strain on the ignition system than 98oct.

A related question. Has anyone gone from std to something like Splitfires and backed off plug gaps? Technically speaking the smaller the gap the less power? Is it possible to get an improvement or just a pipe dream?

On a friends R33 RB25, I fitted a RB20 waste gate actuator and it started to break down in the upper rev range. I then gapped the plugs from 1.1mm to .9mm as a band aid fix. After fitting Splitfires, we were able to open the gap back up to 1.1mm with no problems.

What is this percentage? Isn't relying on that percentage simply assuming all other engine variables are constant between cars when they never are in real life?

It's like 15%. Mate's Evo was 220 on 98, 265 on e85, no other limiting factors. Typical 250ish kw Skylines are going to 290 or soafter e85. It's a ballpark sort of number. Holds true most of the time on these boosted engines that can't run extra boost or timing on 98.

Edited by GTSBoy

It's like 15%. Mate's Evo was 220 on 98, 265 on e85, no other limiting factors. Typical 250ish kw Skylines are going to 290 or soafter e85. It's a ballpark sort of number. Holds true most of the time on these boosted engines that can't run extra boost or timing on 98.

This. Depends if the engine is knock limited or not.

just for my under standing, I'm still fairly new to E85 and haven't yet used it, what your saying is once you have hit the limit of 98 going to E85 will give you an extra 15% give or take

Yup. As piggaz said more invisibly but more succinctly than what I wrote.....if the engine is knock limited then e85 often lets about another 15% come out. Not all of that is necessarily to do with relieving the knock limitation. As as has been shown above, you'll generally get 5% extra, probably just from the cooling effect, without adding boost or timing.

Stock coils are the best followed by Splitfires.

exhaust and fmic basically stock car

Stock coils 156 rwkw

splitfires 151rwkw through out the entire rev range they were between 2 and 6kw down on power.

nasty yellow things - 131rwkw Car ran perfectly fine and sounded great but it was down an average of 15 to 20rwkw through out the entire rev range.

IF you are after a cheaper alternative to stocks or splitfires look into modifying your harness and adapting a set of D585 LS7 coils. You can pick up a set of 8 from the states for around/under300 landed in aus!! Any other LS coils will do a good job aswell however the D585's have the highest rating out of them all. quite easy to wire up aswell as make some mounts for them run leads and spark plug changes become the easiest!!

Best option out of all but also an expensive one is a Billet performance products CDI setup for between 2500 and 3000... its also the sexiest looking option out there.

Where do yellow jackets sit in this discussion?

Shithouse.

Powerloss attributable to misfire aside, how much less are we talking e.g 1 cylinder 1.8 degree retarded as per the example above?

Could it reach as high as say 20rwkw loss with everything appearing to be 'normal'?

Even in a stock car it may run perfectly fine and feel good.. but the shitty coil packs can be down as much as 15 to 20rwkw through out the entire rev range.

Edited by 32rrr