SAU Community

Timmy's R34 Gtt

Nothing comes easy with performance setups.

However - maybe the ITB setup is over-rated.  eg. Nissan persevered with it on the GTR and GTiR.

No sign of it on the VR38 engine, and Mitsubishi never put it on the Emo range.  Surely throttle response/control on a rally car is an important factor to performance?

On 10/16/2017 at 5:38 PM, Jordy32 said:

That plenum adapter is a shame, I asked Matt about it after seeing it installed on your car and he showed me a number of photos which look identical to the ones above. It's possible but no way is it as "bolt-on" as Otaku Garage claim..

From seeing how it was made to work in person I can confidently say there's no way they actually bolted an RB26 plenum to an RB25 head with this adapter.

Not sure what you mean? They definately work just need a decent amount of modification to existing parts which is not disclosed anywhere

• 1 month later...

For anyone wondering what work is involved in getting the OtakuGarage ITS adaptor working, it's a lot. Firstly you have to get your RB26 coolant rail modified to clear the thermostat housing outlet. This is a fair bit of work and is certainly a job for a fabricator. When doing this you have to removed enough material for it to clear but also leave enough to not create a bottle neck in the coolant passage. Then you have to find an RB30 thermostat housing as a normal RB20/25/26 one won't work without a large amount of grinding on the acutal ITB's. Then you have to replace the bolts with M8 studs and nuts, and the top stud has to be shorter than the others. Then you have to grind  away the lip around the outside of the RB30 theromstat housing, and grind even more away where the bolt for the coolant rail will foul the housing. It is a small mission but doable.

You should be able to see most of what i am talking about in these pics.

20171115_130910.jpg

20171115_130916.jpg

received_1779815438726921.jpeg

received_1779815445393587.jpeg

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, iruvyouskyrine said:

For anyone wondering what work is involved in getting the OtakuGarage ITS adaptor working, it's a lot. Firstly you have to get your RB26 coolant rail modified to clear the thermostat housing outlet. This is a fair bit of work and is certainly a job for a fabricator. When doing this you have to removed enough material for it to clear but also leave enough to not create a bottle neck in the coolant passage. Then you have to find an RB30 thermostat housing as a normal RB20/25/26 one won't work without a large amount of grinding on the acutal ITB's. Then you have to replace the bolts with M8 studs and nuts, and the top stud has to be shorter than the others. Then you have to grind  away the lip around the outside of the RB30 theromstat housing, and grind even more away where the bolt for the coolant rail will foul the housing. It is a small mission but doable.

You should be able to see most of what i am talking about in these pics.

Whoops, forgot to post the pics. But yours are basically identical to what I would have been posting. Cheers.

6 minutes ago, iruvyouskyrine said:

Got any pics of it fitted up in the end? Noticed you havent posted an engine bay shot since the update :)

Well what do you know, I haven't either haha. I'll get one up soon when I provide the remainder of the updates for this year.

• 6 months later...

Hi, sir... I found this thread doing a search and it is nice :)

I was asked (as often happens) to try and match a nice turbo for a mates RB25 track car with some very specific requirements, ie ball bearing, within a limited budget, T3 open flanged and able to make around 450kw @ hubs on E85 on a Dynapack dyno.   I did some crawling around and decided to pay more attention to the GTW3476R than I had really given it previously (Garrett took AGES to release flow data for them) and I was actually pretty blown away by the match that they give, at least on paper.   They actually look like an awesome combination from that point of view.

How have you found you found yours so far?   Real world response etc fairly acceptable for the power you are making?  Was that power figure "all in"?

Cheers

• 4 months later...
On 6/20/2018 at 12:27 PM, Lithium said:

Hi, sir... I found this thread doing a search and it is nice :)

I was asked (as often happens) to try and match a nice turbo for a mates RB25 track car with some very specific requirements, ie ball bearing, within a limited budget, T3 open flanged and able to make around 450kw @ hubs on E85 on a Dynapack dyno.   I did some crawling around and decided to pay more attention to the GTW3476R than I had really given it previously (Garrett took AGES to release flow data for them) and I was actually pretty blown away by the match that they give, at least on paper.   They actually look like an awesome combination from that point of view.

How have you found you found yours so far?   Real world response etc fairly acceptable for the power you are making?  Was that power figure "all in"?

Cheers

Thanks mate. Sorry the delayed response, don't really frequent on here anymore.

Have found the turbo to be great for what it is. I'm running the bush bearing version. Was previously running the .86 twin scroll rear housing which made 420rwkw on ~26-28psi. Response was great. We've recently changed the setup to a 1.01 rear housing to help with getting more heat out as I kept melting the diaphragms in the gates. As a result I'm currently making 370rwkw on 22-23psi (need a new boost controller) and I'd say a few hundred rpm laggier, but much nicer curve coming on. Will put together a big update post eventually, but feel free to pm me if still looking for info.

• 5 months later...

Well guys, the time has unfortunately come. I guess I'm turning in to an old fart as my baby for the last (almost) 7 years is up for sale. If you know anyone that is keen, link below with as much info as I could remember.

• 2 weeks later...

Well that was unexpectedly quick, but I guess this chapter of my life has finally come to an end. Car is sold (getting picked up this week). Big thanks to everyone on this forum that helped out in one way or another, or just talked banter. See you all around once I figure out what's next :)  ?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1