SAU Community

V36 Nav And Language Swap - Faq

10 hours ago, YEE-HAA said:

Looking at the V36 for my next car, The digital radio was mentioned briefly.  Would it work here or would you have to change the radio to an Australian version to pick up Australian radio?

Japanese use a narrower band so you need a FM band expander. there cheap. Just need the know how to put in yourself or pay someone.

And yes the AM works fine.   

15 hours ago, YEE-HAA said:

Looking at the V36 for my next car, The digital radio was mentioned briefly.  Would it work here or would you have to change the radio to an Australian version to pick up Australian radio?

If you're talking about digital radio as in the broadcast service itself, for higher fidelity audio, then no. We use DAB+ here in Australia, while Japan uses a couple of technologies but predominantly ISDB-TSB. The two are not compatible with each other.

Otherwise, whatever else V35_Paul already mentioned.

14 hours ago, V35_Paul said:

Japanese use a narrower band so you need a FM band expander. there cheap. Just need the know how to put in yourself or pay someone.

And yes the AM works fine.   

Yes Im familiar with the band expander having fitted one myself into my PM35. Not worried about AM though

8 hours ago, The Max said:

If you're talking about digital radio as in the broadcast service itself, for higher fidelity audio, then no. We use DAB+ here in Australia, while Japan uses a couple of technologies but predominantly ISDB-TSB. The two are not compatible with each other.

Otherwise, whatever else V35_Paul already mentioned.

Yes I was more worried about picking up FM radio.  I like to mix it up with FM radio or MP3, which I have now, playing through a TV tuner with usb input.

So what do people do if they have the ISDB-TSB radio? Pull it out & put in an aftermarket deck?  I know I didnt really have that option with my PM35.

Not cheaply anyway.

Edited by YEE-HAA

6 minutes ago, YEE-HAA said:

So what do people do if they have the ISDB-TSB radio? Pull it out & put in an aftermarket deck?  I know I didnt really have that option with my PM35.

While I stand to be corrected, I would say no chance of going aftermarket. In my 2009 vehicle, I tried a little experiment and started the car without the headunit powered up. It took out the display in the centre of the instrument cluster and my A/C control, which is what I anticipated from what I determined looking up the pinouts in the workshop manual.

Radio sucks anyway. Be your own DJ.

Does your car have a factory tv tuner in it, and if so, can you 'tap' into it to piggback a media player of sort with usb function to get your music playing that way?

It does, with Aux RCA inputs in the centre console (under the armrest). So I plug in a Sony NW-ZX1 media player. No control from the car's interface but that's just a minor inconvenience to me.

I've then taken the front speaker outputs of the deck to feed an Arc Audo PS8 DSP, which then produces four channels for the Arc Audio XDI600.4 amp to feed the front and rear speakers and one more channel for the old faithful Sony XM-1002HX amp to feed the subwoofer. Audio problem solved. It could be better but it's as good as it gets with an OEM headunit that can't come out willingly.

10 hours ago, The Max said:

It does, with Aux RCA inputs in the centre console (under the armrest). So I plug in a Sony NW-ZX1 media player. No control from the car's interface but that's just a minor inconvenience to me.

I've then taken the front speaker outputs of the deck to feed an Arc Audo PS8 DSP, which then produces four channels for the Arc Audio XDI600.4 amp to feed the front and rear speakers and one more channel for the old faithful Sony XM-1002HX amp to feed the subwoofer. Audio problem solved. It could be better but it's as good as it gets with an OEM headunit that can't come out willingly.

Have you used Audison or Hertz DSP before? If so, how do they compare to Arc PS8?

I haven't used either one but on paper, at the time, the Arc Audio PS8 was the clear winner and with the promise of an in-vehicle control panel, it was similar to what I had with my old Maxima and the Sony MDX-C8900 minidisc deck which controlled the XDP-210EQ DSP via its very tactile remote control.

However, the disappointment set in with the level of support from them. Yes, if there were installation issues, they were quick to assist and that was fine. But the controller, the next most important thing on the list after sound quality and installation footprint, took THREE F#@KING YEARS to be released. After it was finally released in December last year, I was first in line to purchase one but then the dude I bought the PS8 from to begin with had mentioned that his distributor no longer brings in the Arc Audio products because they have been very unreliable with him. If I knew that, I wouldn't have ended up importing my XDI600.4 amp back when I was told he was no longer supplying Arc audio products. Likewise, I had to buy the controller via an eBay seller. Sure, I paid more than I should've but that's how it goes sometimes.

Now, mind you, I'm extremely happy with both products. Perhaps good things do come to those who wait but they have proven to me that they take way too long to fulfil their promises, if at all. Their software does have its share of glitches, which makes it painful to work with at times but once you've got it nailed, it works very well and remains so.

However, having said all that, if I were to start all over again, I'd give them a miss and go straight to Hertz's H8 DSP. While the hardware isn't all that different to the Arc Audio PS8 (on paper, that is), they seem to have gained popularity over Arc for their support and that makes their distributors seemingly happy. Don't take my word for it though. Look around, talk to dealers and check out the general consensus on other forums. I'm just giving my observations since I have no experience with them otherwise.

Audison didn't seem to have neither the same small footprint nor the gamut of features and options like the others at the time. Can't say they seem any better to me now. I've never been that trusting of anything that comes from an Italian electronics manufacturer. That comes from professional experience with other Italian electronics. I can't speak for Audison from experience. ;)

On 4/27/2017 at 1:59 AM, YEE-HAA said:

this is exactly for You :D

On 4/28/2017 at 9:54 AM, The Max said:

I haven't used either one but on paper, at the time, the Arc Audio PS8 was the clear winner and with the promise of an in-vehicle control panel, it was similar to what I had with my old Maxima and the Sony MDX-C8900 minidisc deck which controlled the XDP-210EQ DSP via its very tactile remote control.

However, the disappointment set in with the level of support from them. Yes, if there were installation issues, they were quick to assist and that was fine. But the controller, the next most important thing on the list after sound quality and installation footprint, took THREE F#@KING YEARS to be released. After it was finally released in December last year, I was first in line to purchase one but then the dude I bought the PS8 from to begin with had mentioned that his distributor no longer brings in the Arc Audio products because they have been very unreliable with him. If I knew that, I wouldn't have ended up importing my XDI600.4 amp back when I was told he was no longer supplying Arc audio products. Likewise, I had to buy the controller via an eBay seller. Sure, I paid more than I should've but that's how it goes sometimes.

Now, mind you, I'm extremely happy with both products. Perhaps good things do come to those who wait but they have proven to me that they take way too long to fulfil their promises, if at all. Their software does have its share of glitches, which makes it painful to work with at times but once you've got it nailed, it works very well and remains so.

However, having said all that, if I were to start all over again, I'd give them a miss and go straight to Hertz's H8 DSP. While the hardware isn't all that different to the Arc Audio PS8 (on paper, that is), they seem to have gained popularity over Arc for their support and that makes their distributors seemingly happy. Don't take my word for it though. Look around, talk to dealers and check out the general consensus on other forums. I'm just giving my observations since I have no experience with them otherwise.

Audison didn't seem to have neither the same small footprint nor the gamut of features and options like the others at the time. Can't say they seem any better to me now. I've never been that trusting of anything that comes from an Italian electronics manufacturer. That comes from professional experience with other Italian electronics. I can't speak for Audison from experience. ;)

The Hertz and Audison are exactly the same. Same factory, same internals. I have the bit ten at the moment, really good imo. Was reading about the PS8 before I went with Bit Ten, was liking it but went with Audison at the end due to the support I could get here locally. I guess in some ways I'm glad I went with the Bit Ten, would have been super pissed with the controller.

23 hours ago, jp2en said:

it does looks like :-D

Keeping your cards close to your chest....

I was looking at buying a 370GT in Adelaide, and Sinergy Motorsport showed me one with the Nav & menus converted to English - probably done by the same people that jp2en is representing. I believe they are European based, Russian rings a bell (but I may be getting confused with the 350GT conversion). Cost quoted on a car bought from Sinergy was around $900 - $1000, but (if I remember correctly) it had to be a 2010 or 2011 model or later. Earlier 370GTs couldn't be converted. I don't know how much they charge for a car not bought from them.

14 hours ago, GeeDog said:

Keeping your cards close to your chest....

I was looking at buying a 370GT in Adelaide, and Sinergy Motorsport showed me one with the Nav & menus converted to English - probably done by the same people that jp2en is representing. I believe they are European based, Russian rings a bell (but I may be getting confused with the 350GT conversion). Cost quoted on a car bought from Sinergy was around $900 - $1000, but (if I remember correctly) it had to be a 2010 or 2011 model or later. Earlier 370GTs couldn't be converted. I don't know how much they charge for a car not bought from them.

Charged me a bit more.

• 1 month later...

Hello fellow SAU enthusiasts and members. Some how thanks to all the threads I've been able to pair Bluetooth with my phone. But while listening to music on my Nexus 6p,the Bluetooth keeps dropping. However, while on phone, it never drops out. Is anyone facing this issue? How do I get connection consistent?

I don't really think there is a way. I've only ever used my phone purely for the handsfree connection and it does occasionally drop out but only for about ten seconds. Never happens during a call though, so it could well be that it's a power-saving feature in Android that kicks in and then the handsfree kit wakes it up again.

You would think that while streaming music from your phone to the vehicle, the phone would stay awake at all times but I suppose something odd might be at play there.

One thing you could try is preventing the phone from falling asleep on you by going into your phone's Settings -> Developer Options -> Stay Awake (enabled) and plugging it into a USB charger. That way, the phone will never sleep while it's charging and therefore, not put anything else to sleep, such as your Bluetooth connection.

It's only a theory but doing this will either prove or disprove it.

• Like 1

Yeh for me voice calls through bluetooth are reliable and consistent. I have never had a drop out from the handsfree.

I have never tried bluetooth for the music however so I can't comment on that. I use a wireless display device plugged into the video/audio inputs to get things on the v36 screen and speakers. This has proved very reliable for both video and audio with no dropouts. Problem with this however is the power drain on the phone during wireless screen casting of sat google maps, although for the music/audio still streams when the phones screen is off so it doesn't drain as badly then.

• Like 1

I don't really think there is a way. I've only ever used my phone purely for the handsfree connection and it does occasionally drop out but only for about ten seconds. Never happens during a call though, so it could well be that it's a power-saving feature in Android that kicks in and then the handsfree kit wakes it up again.
You would think that while streaming music from your phone to the vehicle, the phone would stay awake at all times but I suppose something odd might be at play there.
One thing you could try is preventing the phone from falling asleep on you by going into your phone's Settings -> Developer Options -> Stay Awake (enabled) and plugging it into a USB charger. That way, the phone will never sleep while it's charging and therefore, not put anything else to sleep, such as your Bluetooth connection.
It's only a theory but doing this will either prove or disprove it.

Thanks, will give it a shot and see how I go.