SAU Community

V36 Nav And Language Swap - Faq

YES PLEASE! More voice commands, complete with phonetic pronunciation guide please... I can switch between Bluetooth and USB, but only because they are basically English :-)

Cheers -N

Showing off because your car is new enough to have factory USB.... :nyaanyaa:

That's one I should try. I should've had my Japanese friend try the system out for me when she was in town and teach me a few more commands. Then again, the original manual might have a command list in there. I might do some homework. I like a little challenge.

• 4 weeks later...

Because it's hard-coded in the head unit's software (and possibly the GPS unit located in the boot) to only work with the specific region's map. If you're a brilliant hacker, you might be able to crack that nut and make a mint out of it in the process.

I have read the FAQ and didn't see this addressed, but why cant the maps be updated with a simple software update/new cd?

In simple terms, the old gen tech (up to 2010) was produced only for the Japan market. So if you have a V36 2006-2010 then you need to replace the entire unit and screen plus some custom harness to get the "international" firmware. For the 2010+ cars, it's a firmware upgrade, but it's bootloader is locked with a key, that's why you don't have disks with this firmware floating around.

Edited by Zveruga

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 18/10/2016 at 7:12 AM, Matthew Boucher said:

Hey there guys I just got a nissian Skyline 07 350GT and I am currently in New Zealand does anyone know if I can get my language change to English ? 

Yes you can.

I have no idea who would do it for you or how much it would cost. 

Pretty certain that it is not possible to change the audio and nav system in a V36 JDM Skyline into English.

What is possible is to replace it with the unit from an AUS/NZ Infiniti G37 either from scrap yard or Infiniti OEM parts. This can also involve changing out the screen and other hardware rather than just simply changing the head unit...

Unfortunately not like the V35s where the unit could be flashed with some custom firmware, created in Russia.

• Like 1

They can be changed, but the technique is slightly different on pre MY10 V36 cars (more complex) and MY10 and later (including 2009+ Skyline crossovers)... Unfortunately there's a cartel that has the method and they are keeping it secret and charging a phenomenal amount for it. (Think $1500+ for a software upgrade)

Cheers - N

• 2 weeks later...

That's simply a photo of using the video input to mirrorlink an android device to the screen. Yes it's a bit useful (are you using AV input or RGB?) but there's a lot of other functionality tied up in the car Japanese menus... I presume those are unchanged?

Does this include disabling the video screen lockout when driving? How much and what Android box do you put in? Does it include something like the mimics touchscreen overlay?

Cheers -N

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Looking at the V36 for my next car, The digital radio was mentioned briefly.  Would it work here or would you have to change the radio to an Australian version to pick up Australian radio?