SAU Community

V36 Nav And Language Swap - Faq

14 hours ago, Pesaturbo said:

Ok This Topic seems really convoluted....

I have a V36 I would like to change from Jap to English, is this Possible?

There's nothing convoluted in this thread and there are only 17 pages to read through. I'll give you the summary:

V36 is a complicated beast compared to the re-programming of the V35 systems. With V36, entire head units get swapped out and rewired to suit the JDM pinouts, etc. However, it isn't without further complications, such as losing the functionality of the side-mirror camera.

After reading through all the workshop manual information and even hacking away at the hard drive of one, I figured it's too much of a ballache and I don't really need much from it beyond my audio and bluetooth phone connectivity. I've built an in-car computer based on a Gigabyte NUC that I'll probably get to installing next month, which will manage my media player and GPS, so that will solve the navigation issue.

Leaving it in Japanese actually is quite novel for me and my girlfriend giggles every time it reminds me at night that I should not drink and drive.

Therefore, my preferred solution is to leave it as it is, augment it with whatever DSPs, amps and computers you see fit, and refer to the sticky thread in this forum:V36 Skyline Japanese Translation Document (Work In Progress

The dude who wrote that went to great lengths to guide you through the Japanese menus and there are more posts in there about quirks that have been discovered which can help you to resolve if you also happen to come upon them.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay hi and hello!

it is possible for a conversion Via Xanavi.
I've done this. Comes with complete unit with upgraded software and AUS maps.

Cost $1100 Shipped. It IS a stock unit replacement. Works perfectly fine.

http://xanavi.biz/

Completed on

07 Base model (with nav)
07 type S (with nav)

Photo's attached.

40525824_748746598803570_976320545408679936_n.jpg

40537821_1939938919632749_6138200460093292544_n.jpg

40581417_2017906491608479_3014551662896349184_n.jpg

You're welcome. I literally signed up just to post this in the hope you would see it dude! haha

For some reason people dont believe it can be changed still.. 
If anyone's in brisbane QLD im happy to show you.

On 9/2/2018 at 7:37 PM, DashyyPC said:

You're welcome. I literally signed up just to post this in the hope you would see it dude! haha

For some reason people dont believe it can be changed still.. 
If anyone's in brisbane QLD im happy to show you.

Hi DashyyPC, are there any issues with anything (eg. side camera, radio, gps)? Thanks.

• Like 1

Just now, Leon.T said:

Hi DashyyPC, are there any issues with anything (eg. side camera, radio, gps)? Thanks.

Hey Bro.

With the first kit we lost connectivity of the Side camera ( no where to plug it in) but thats since been fixed by Xanavi 
The last one done everything works perfectly fine.

Radio, GPS, Bluetooth, DVD, AUX etc all good my man.
They also do dash cluster conversion which ill try next

OH, Sorry, you WILL lose the ability to insert a memory card. Which im sure doent really matter.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
35 minutes ago, LesF said:

Just found this.  For the Infiniti...

Vertical Screen Android 7.1 Quad Core 12.1 inch Car Multimedia DVD Player Stereo Radio For Infiniti G37 G35 G25 G37S

How much info is there on the differences in the interface with the Skyline?

hey @LesF

I have had confirmation these work with Nissans.
Only downside is that for some reason some of the units cause the loss of the middle LCD (in the cluster) 
I'd Steer away from aliexpress and get one direct from the supplier.

Here's a link for you.

https://phoenixautomotiveinc.com/products/12-1-android-navigation-radio-receiver-for-infiniti-g37?variant=17644852052025

Not a bad looking system. Any idea what the specs are like? Particularly the screen quality and resolution plus how readable is it when the sun is out. I might look into these in more details with things like does Google assistant work and hoe good the hands free is.

I've since sent them an email to find out a few questions listed below. Let's see if or when they answer my questions. Like the concept... Little hesitant as some people had problems with the voltage of the reverse camera. Minor problem but not necessarily plug and play. Not sure how good the support is if you have challenges. Hopefully good, but limited info on the internet for the G37 (nothing for the v36). 

Hi

I have a manual v36 jap spec 370gt coupe sports with say nav. 

Will this work with a jap RHD model?

I am wondering what functions are lost with this system?

Will the side camera still work?

Will the reverse camera come up when put in reverse?

Can both cameras be shown at once or one or the other?

Will the dash screen (behind the steering wheel) still work? 

Is the resolution 1280 vertical and 800 width?

It's one screen yes?

Can the video can be moved to the top of the screen, and affectively 800x480 res for the video?

Will the handfree use the oem mic?

Will google assistant work? Can it be triggered by "ok google" or the steering wheel button?

Will the screen change contrast or colours when the light state turned on? 

How bright is the screen? I am concerned about glare which is evident on a lot of screens. The oem one is good as it's recessed.

Are there any modifications required or purely plug and play?

Regards, Peter 

• Like 1

Aargh - I would be all over this and have ordered b y now for my Skyline Crossover if I hadn't upgraded a couple of months ago to an Infiniti FX50S... I can't see a suitable model for the FX50 which is a bit disappointing.. I waited years for a replacement head unit for the Skyline...

CHeers - N

2 hours ago, Pete_Repeat said:

I've since sent them an email to find out a few questions listed below. Let's see if or when they answer my questions. Like the concept... Little hesitant as some people had problems with the voltage of the reverse camera. Minor problem but not necessarily plug and play. Not sure how good the support is if you have challenges. Hopefully good, but limited info on the internet for the G37 (nothing for the v36). 

Hi

I have a manual v36 jap spec 370gt coupe sports with say nav. 

Will this work with a jap RHD model?

I am wondering what functions are lost with this system?

Will the side camera still work?

Will the reverse camera come up when put in reverse?

Can both cameras be shown at once or one or the other?

Will the dash screen (behind the steering wheel) still work? 

Is the resolution 1280 vertical and 800 width?

It's one screen yes?

Can the video can be moved to the top of the screen, and affectively 800x480 res for the video?

Will the handfree use the oem mic?

Will google assistant work? Can it be triggered by "ok google" or the steering wheel button?

Will the screen change contrast or colours when the light state turned on? 

How bright is the screen? I am concerned about glare which is evident on a lot of screens. The oem one is good as it's recessed.

Are there any modifications required or purely plug and play?

Regards, Peter 

Great questions to ask. Very keen to hear the response 

8 minutes ago, V35_Paul said:

Great questions to ask. Very keen to hear the response 

I'll post back here. I'm sort of keen as this is far better than the english conversion for far cheaper. I have been mirroring my phone on the v36 screen for the past 3 years.

I've since looked at videos of the Q50/Q60 version which I believe are similar... 

One thing I don't like initially is the climate controls have physical controls and screen controls. Just seems to be a repeat and can't see where it can removed. Although it can have the theme changed I believe which makes it look less like its repeating itself.

The screen I have found is defintely one screen. None of the reviews say it has a poor screen or anything so the resolution must be OK for in car (it is only 1280x800 on a 12.1 inch screen which is low by todays standards) and no one mentions anything about glare being a problem. So I am hopeful the screen will be reasonable.

I have yet find one installed in a Jap v36 (RHD) however but hope this shouldn't be a problem.

28 minutes ago, Pete_Repeat said:

I'll post back here. I'm sort of keen as this is far better than the english conversion for far cheaper. I have been mirroring my phone on the v36 screen for the past 3 years.

I've since looked at videos of the Q50/Q60 version which I believe are similar... 

One thing I don't like initially is the climate controls have physical controls and screen controls. Just seems to be a repeat and can't see where it can removed. Although it can have the theme changed I believe which makes it look less like its repeating itself.

The screen I have found is defintely one screen. None of the reviews say it has a poor screen or anything so the resolution must be OK for in car (it is only 1280x800 on a 12.1 inch screen which is low by todays standards) and no one mentions anything about glare being a problem. So I am hopeful the screen will be reasonable.

I have yet find one installed in a Jap v36 (RHD) however but hope this shouldn't be a problem.

Well an english conversion only costs $250 aud more ($1000 aud delivered if you message xanavi directly) 

As for the tablets, ive seen them (on other cars) And theyre all the same cheap tablet basically. Over time they'll become worse (with more being loaded onto them aswell)
I also looked into this as an option but my v36's Bluetooth works with the phones i have so no real need for it to be in english right now.

I have spoken to phoenix radios direct and they do confirm they work on V36's. Only thing they might lose is the middle LCD.

Edited by DashyyPC
Worded it wrong.

53 minutes ago, DashyyPC said:

Well an english conversion only costs $250 aud more ($1000 aud delivered if you message xanavi directly) 

As for the tablets, ive seen them (on other cars) And theyre all the same cheap tablet basically. Over time they'll become worse (with more being loaded onto them aswell)
I also looked into this as an option but my v36's Bluetooth works with the phones i have so no real need for it to be in english right now.

I have spoken to phoenix radios direct and they do confirm they work on V36's. Only thing they might lose is the middle LCD.

I thought about that originally (enquired about 3 years ago) then realised as it added no extra function other than Japanese to English I couldn't justify the price. I then moved to screen mirroring my android phone and created a few automation things so it mirrored automatically when charging and in the car, and used google assistant to get things working with minimal touching of the phone. So I hadn't cared about the Japanese conversion again. 

But this looks to to both, get English conversion and also adds functionality like Google maps which I use regularly, google music which I use regularly, online radio which I use regularly... 

As long as the system is ok, the added function to me seems worth the cost over what I already have with screen mirroring. I could install Android auto on it as there is an app that mimics Android auto I believe.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Pete_Repeat said:

I thought about that originally (enquired about 3 years ago) then realised as it added no extra function other than Japanese to English I couldn't justify the price. I then moved to screen mirroring my android phone and created a few automation things so it mirrored automatically when charging and in the car, and used google assistant to get things working with minimal touching of the phone. So I hadn't cared about the Japanese conversion again. 

But this looks to to both, get English conversion and also adds functionality like Google maps which I use regularly, google music which I use regularly, online radio which I use regularly... 

As long as the system is ok, the added function to me seems worth the cost over what I already have with screen mirroring. I could install Android auto on it as there is an app that mimics Android auto I believe.

Oh do you have links to what you used for mirroring?
I'd much love this feature if i ever has to use my GPS. I couldnt find much when i looked around for it.

27 minutes ago, DashyyPC said:

Oh do you have links to what you used for mirroring?
I'd much love this feature if i ever has to use my GPS. I couldnt find much when i looked around for it.

I just used a hdmi to rca adapter (connected to the aux input) then plugged a Microsoft wireless display adapter in. Originally I had a miracast box which had the Android wireless display and ios wireless display and that had rca outs. But it failed on me and never bought another one as I only displayed android screen mirroring. Problem with this is it uses a reasonable amount of battery so I mainly do it while charging.

As I use it as a daily I use a wireless charger in a dock (3d printed dock with wireless charger stuck in it) and use tasker (android app for automation) to enable screen mirroring automatically when it's dropped in the dock . I use this daily on my screen thus why I went to this effort.

Edit: The challenges with this is wireless charging and screen mirroring causes heat so I had to install a cooling fans and the touch doesn't work so you rely on either a Bluetooth remote or voice while driving. You won't have the heat problems using normal charging however.

Edited by Pete_Repeat