SAU Community

Project: Squat Dodger/no More Curling Like A Bro/get Ankle Better

No Crust Racing

More videos. Just one set of things but at full weight. f**k knows what this forum randomly wont embed, shits me.

Bench, no towel, shoulders pinned back more. Felt a little weak on this as it's been 9 days since I benched full weight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBt2I2xtLqE

Squat with Full Weight for me (49.5kg) Felt ok getting the weight up so shoulder is getting better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRfbh0RIID8

Edited by ActionDan

No bench press? But I love bench. I won't be stopping that unless there's some excellent reason not to do it.

Do strict press? I thought a strict press was a standing military press, heels together?

That was something I'd always been told by people who were pro gloves, it added diamterer and made your grip work harder.

Good if you love doing an excersise. So if I was to ask what bench press is doing for you?

Is it your goal to become really strong? (how much do you want to lift)

Do you want to develop big chest muscles? (how big do you want your chest)

If you just want to maintain the chest muscles you can do other movements (you only need to activate the muscles).

An excellent reason for doing them later; you build the strength where you need it first (that will maximise the efforts once you start back at it). You will basically avoid injury and at the same time not wind up hitting a brick wall due to weak supporting strength. At the end of a period of 12 months , 6months of which you focus on building everywhere else, your bench will be stronger (provided you start back on it with a sensible approach).

Strict isn't feet together. Thats retarded. Strict is basically not using leg drive (push press).

Bench gives me a half decent chest, which I like.

Goal wise, maybe get back to repping 100kg bench will be fine.

I don't bounce or leg drive now, I don't think, so I guess it's closer to strict than it is to push press.

Any pointers or issues form wise in those new vids?

Back/ankle again feeling not bad today, still tender but not "bad"

Thinking of doing 2 sets of everything tomorrow and seeing how I pull up unless there's any glaring form issues you guys can see? Specifically with SLDL maybe?

Physio on Tuesday, she's going to see how my swelling is and possibly take a look at my back also.

form looks good

maybe mix up your grip on the bench press, do some narrow grip sets in addition to the wide grip

your rows are fine but try some where your bent over further, parallel to the ground

you look like your overhead pressing the same weight as your rowing? you should be able to row considerably more weight, almost as much as your bench pressing

I can definitely row more, but have taken it slow due to aforementioned back twinges, after starting creatine and having 10 days off I'm feeling better though.

Someone said I should be able to OH press my body weight, I can't see me doing that for a long time.

SLDL form look better than my DL form? I.E. Safer for me?

Saw physio.

She confirms swelling has reduced but now wants me to go back to running, which will of course increase swelling... I'm thinking Bike might be better and I really have no preference to be honest, so long as I'm getting some cardio which banks me some credits on my calories :D

She was unsure about a lump on my ankle, said it's likely scar tissue or the way the bone has healed (though the lump is not near the fracture site) so I don't think I'm getting rid of that.

Worked on my back and said it was tight on the left (sore) side but said that pelvis movement felt OK.

Gave me a stretch/exercise to improve oblique strength, come back in 2 weeks.

Myo on Thursday.

Interestingly she did not specifically advise changing my weights at all, but I will play that by ear based on discomfort.

Edited by ActionDan

Saw physio.

She confirms swelling has reduced but now wants me to go back to running,

fire her... immediately... lol

forget OHP your bodyweight... keep working at the rows, SLDL, squats etc... strengthen your posterior chain and many of those problems will disappear

as TTT suggests learn to setup correctly and keep tension in your back when you lift... learn to engage your lats and use your glutes

lots of high rep squatting will use more calories than going for a run or riding a bike... if you have to run go to the park and run some sprints, broad jumps, push ups etc

The run is not essential, it's more for the dog, she gets walked 1-2 times daily anyway so I'm in no rush to get back to running, it was more of a mental thing. Stuffed ankle bad, must get back to running to prove I am baller etc.

I think she thinks I'm super keen to get back to running, but I told her that's not the goal, full usage is, and to get full usage, I must load more than walking, which really does mean running is required.

I'll go for a jog this week, work up to 2x a week etc. The pain is far more subdued now and never required pain meds or anything anyway so I'll just keep wearing the comp sock and managing it as needed.

'

My back is far more of an issue for me but can't seem to get an answer on how best to fix it.

I'd say she suggested run for an ankle mobility/testing point of view.

Walk the dog.

For your back.

maybe visit a gym and try something like a back hyper ext to see if it causes pains.

or if they have it, a Glute Ham Raise machine.

or if they have kettlebells, try ukranian deadlifts (UDLs).

Problem is that you have access to nothing, and are forced to do the same lifts.

and it hurts.

hyper ext and GHR have you lifting your torso with your legs braced so no weight and different angle.

Ukranian deads has you standing on platforms high enough so that the kettle bell between your feet has the handle at the height of your shoes.

and it's between the legs so not in front.

these will help strengthen your back and "possibly" not hurt like deads do.

Doing easy weights will not fix your back.

Either rest it properly for a few weeks while getting massage and light stretches (hot/cold packs) or try other exercises.

If you ask Markos for his opinion he will tell you his way is to f**k it or Fix it.

he has an older guy in his gym (40yo??) who had a f**ked back because he fell off the roof.

now deadlifts 240kg or something.

He started him on UDLs

Actually, I'm sure if you google Ukranian Deadlifts you'll get something he posted somewhere about them.. that's how much he used to go on about them.

Edited by TTT

I walk the dog 1-2 twice daily, joint flexibility is fine at that level, joint pain is fine at that level too, so I have to go beyond it to get it stronger than it currently is.

I''ll buy a cage which should help with some things.

I've had a body builder mate look, videos online etc, nobody says I have glaring terrifying form, but that a few improvements hear and there are required which is fine.

I'll keep stretching, doing the exercises I've been given, going to the myo, and lifting what I can in the mean time so long as I'm not going backwards in terms of pain.

I had a good 9-10 days off and it improved slightly, but more so when I started having creatine to be honest, it was feeling pretty decent until this morning after doing 2x sets last night so today it's a bit twingy but nothing dramatic.

I'll check out the exercises you mentioned. When the physio had me do a bunch of movements she said there was nothing overtly wrong, but that I was stiff on that side and that she felt perhaps my oblique strength could be improved which may help, that plus stretching and keeping loose.

Dan - please don't link less pain with creatine.

it would have had nothing to do with less pain at all.

Can you do plank holds without back or ankle pain?

add those in if you can to aid in overall core strength.

It was more a suggestion than a statement.

I can def plank, used to all the time.

I had stretch session tonight and the oblique stretch the physio gave me seemed to target the problem spot well.

Did some light jogging while walking with the missus tonight .