SAU Community

Project: Squat Dodger/no More Curling Like A Bro/get Ankle Better

No Crust Racing

yeah proper pull ups/dips/squats in a rack will really improve your progress

leave the OHP if it's causing you pain... try incline dumbbell press (if your bench inclines), lateral raises and rear delt raises... do these light and don't swing the weight, hold and squeeze at the top

My question is more about what OHP is targeting that I might be missing out on if I'm not doing OHP or something specific for that muscle group.

I'd of thought that the dips, to some extent work the top of the shoulder also, my version has me feeling it a bit in there also.

Just got back from Myo.

She spent most of the time working on my legs/ lower back as I'm avoiding OHP for now.

She still thinks the discomfort is a compensatory issue, as in I'm not moving properly and that's the point that cops the flack.

For the first time since I've been there she said that after being massaged my hip bone locations and leg lengths were even.

Wants me to keep stretching and make sure I am doing decent 3sets of sec stretches regularly etc, also suggested I see a podiatrist to see if I need any corrective inserts or anything since there was so much trauma to that ankle/foot. I was thinking of doing that myself anyway so I might go ahead with it.

Walked last night, walked/semi jogged this morning.

Back is killing me for some reason. Will have a decent stretch tonight before gym.

Worded up a friend of of mine who is a 3rd year Podiatrist and she's going to go over the ankle, my gait, etc and see what she can tell me.

I'm in two minds about that foam roller as I'm unsure if it can really get into my back, a ball might be better.

Walked this morning, gym tonight.

Had a solid 20min stretch before exercising then got into it.

Did everything as normal, almost made the 8th rep of the 3rd set of curls too.

Managed a 90sec plank at the end and managed to fit 5kg in my pockets for my dips.

Went for another walk afterwards.

See how I pull up tomorrow.

Seeing my podiatrist friend on Saturday.

Project: Squat Dodger/no More Curling Like A Bro/get Ankle Better

Just a reminder.

go back over your post in the past 2 pages and and you'll see why you needed a reminder.

Edited by TTT

Hah, cheers dude.

You will see though, I've lowered the weight and worked on form which has made the motion harder and thus giving me better results for lower weight.

I do one curl exercise, before I was doing at least 3, plus I now do curls near the end of a session so my energy is being put into compound movements first and foremost.

I'd say that's a decent change?

Forgot to add spent some time on the tennis ball last night also and I'd say it helped a bit.

Edited by ActionDan

So I've continued to increase the amount of light jogging on the morning walk, I'd say I'm now jogging 3/4s of a 2.2k route. It's slow jogging (8/9km/h tops) but it's something.

On the gym front, I'm thinking about adding some weight to say the squat, SLDL and the row next week if my back continues to improve through my mad stretching.

I'm spending a good 10-15mins stretching before gym and at least 10-15mins stretching before bed every night and using the tennis ball on the sore spot, I would say it's helping.

I'm looking at racks, see the may gym thread regarding that.

Had my podiatrist friend come over, she said there's a good 1.5cm difference in my leg lengths and some discrepancy in the way my feet rotate and said there's no doubt I will need orthotics and that it would be the likely cause of back issues.

I'll book in and get the ball rolling.

With that, the myo and some other Dr visits/tests I need at the moment it's costing me some bucks...

May not make it to the Physio today, we've been in and out of hospital over the pasty 3 days with Kate's pre-labour.

Little to no sleep for either of us so naturally there was no gym last night.

For some reason, my back is worse than it's been so I either did something Friday night or sleeping in shit hospital chairs/not sleeping is giving me grief.

Not even a stretch is helping me and it's pinching randomly when I'm not doing much.

I've noticed, with squats, that if I do below parallel my body tends to lean forward at the bottom of the motion which I'm wondering if that's causing some kind of cantilever effect on my lower back as I come back up.

I put orthotics back in my shoes (just off the shelf ones) on Sunday but I "think" my back was already playing up before that.

I made it to the physio and talked to her about what my podiatrist friend said, she tightly strapped up my arches to see simulate orthotics and see if they would help.

Due to Kate's pre-labour we were in and out of hospital all week so I had a full week off gym but was still walking the dog twice daily and the strapping made no difference to my back which was quite tender all week.

So last night I thought f**k it and went and did a full session at my normal weights and full sets etc, I had a good stretch prior, a good stretch after and used a tennis ball and my back probably feels better today than it has all week, but still not better.

After 50mins of gym I still managed a 60sec plank and 30 sec side plank on each side and this was in between sets of dumbbell lunges and lateral raises so the heart rate was right up as I got into those straight out of my dips so surely my core strength can't be that shit house.

I've got the Myo on Monday, see if she can add anything then I will have to look at some other options as I'm not getting anywhere. I may also get a bodybuilder mate of mine to actually come over and spot me for a session to assess my form.

Also, Nick I started doing some very light lateral raises also. Like 2 sets of 8 with 3kg dumbells lol

yeah they're one of those movements where weight moved comes second to form... a bit of a hold at the top is good too... just make sure your not shrugging at the top

Back still sore, Went to the Myo today and bumped into Jason Ackermanis, ignored him.

Had a full session with her and pressed her for some answers, ultimately she doesn't feel it's soft tissue and has referred me to an osteo and a chiro as she feels its compensatory/joint related.

She had a really good (painful) dig in my back and front core sections and said given the condition on my core muscles she doesn't think I have any obvious core weaknesses (my abs etc are tender now!)

She advised against it but I did a full session tonight making extra sure to lock up my core and wore a jacket to stay extra warm.

Felt fine but see how I pull up tomorrow.

Oddly, feeling quite good this morning. Been making a conscientious effort to keep warmer, especially when sleeping and it seems to be helping.

As I've been pre-occupied lately my budget is looking OK at the moment too so I'll get back into finding racks.

Was doing some reading and it seems you're all correct and that compound back exercises and tricep work are the keys to bigger arms ( a goal for me as I've got a lighter frame by default).

buy a heat pack. should be about $20 max.

microwave for 40 seconds = hours of warm comfort for your back

In winter I tend to lie on a heat pack (it's buck wheat or some shit) for 5 minutes before I go outside to train.