SAU Community

Squattin

TTT

Way down this road, in a gym far away, A young man was once heard to say, "I've repped high and I've repped low, No matter what I do, my legs won't grow" He tried leg extensions, leg curls, and leg presses too Trying to cheat, these sissy workouts he'd do. From the corner of the gym where the BIG men train, Through a cloud of chalk and the midst of pain Where the big iron rides high and threatens lives, Where the noise is made with big forty-fives, A deep voice bellowed as he wrapped his knees, A very big man with legs like trees. Laughing as he snatched another plate from the stack Chalking his hands and monstrous back, said, "Boy, stop lying and don't say you've forgotten, The trouble with you is you ain't been SQUATTIN'." DALE CLARK, 1983

Here's your squat thread.

not a comp.

a thread to post about your squat conquests.

go!

inb4 Birds' squat thread

Currently:

60kg x 10

70kg x 10

80kg x 10

90kg x 5

Pretty light compared to some people on here. However, they are ATG and I have farkin long legs :(

I used to parallel squat and got to ~120kg for 10 reps, but then I caught the flu and, on my return to the gym, decided to reset my technique. Fell into a love/hate relationship with ATG after 40kg reps left me more buggered than 100kg parallels. They also hit more muscles; glutes, adductors. Those long legs of mine are naturally girly looking, so my goal with squats is to put on size. I'm already pretty happy with what I've done, as I look a lot more proportioned than I used to. Still a way to go though. I'm going to set a loose strength goal of 160kg for an ATG squat.

I squat Olympic style with a high bar; I like long walks on the beach after 5pm.

well here's one i can participate in.

started off months ago at:

60kg x 15

70kg x 12

80kg x 10

90kg x 8

now doing

70kg x 8

85kg x 8

100kg x 8

120kg x 6 - my PB hit it just this week.

not sure if i should keep going higher.......

that's pretty fckn good Dezz

I recently revised my squat technique to save my shitty knees... ditched the healed shoes and have been slowly moving to a wider stance... trying to sit back and use my glutes more instead of shifting the weight forward and using my quads

still high bar because low bar feels like ass and hurts my hands/wrists

Whats wrong with your.knees nick?

Wraps no good?

I cant go wide because of my hip so im stick to olympic close stance quad dominant squats.

Love my do wins tried low bar and box squats for ages didnt really work for me.

I take it your box squatting now more?

thanks Markos! haha

20 years of playing basketball has taken its toll... just get inflamed easily and hurt if I sit for long periods or if they get cold

I use wraps only in competition or few a few weeks leading up to comps... otherwise i train in sleeves to keep them warm

my hips have poor mobility so has taken a bit of time to widen my stance... still working on it... I do some light sumo deadlifts as well to stretch my hips out

nope, no more box squatting... was just using the box to help me change my technique

Seriously markos, why can i rear lunge more then I can squat..

I squat more then I lunge but don't seem to get anywhere near as much progress

Bio-mechanics?

Cause I have long legs?

I feel your "long leg" pain Birds...

is it odd that i can rear lunge more then i can squat? lol

Could be a few things mate. Hip flexibility could be an issue?

Long legs aren't your problem (it's not a problem), people over 6ft have no disadvantages there. Plenty of shorter people don't /can't squat for the same reasons.

I'd have to watch you squat, but Jack is 198cm and squats 300kg

If your legs are extremely long it will hamper you. Brent works as a PT in my gym with his own clients, he is 198cm and has very, very long legs, they hamper his squatting, but he has managed 145kg at 100kg. He pulls 250kg to make up for it, he doesnt compete in PL

He has changed his squat action and is starting to see progress, simply altering his leverage. Jack did it by adding 50kg of bodyweight

inb4 Birds' squat thread

Currently:

60kg x 10

70kg x 10

80kg x 10

90kg x 5

Pretty light compared to some people on here. However, they are ATG and I have farkin long legs :(

I used to parallel squat and got to ~120kg for 10 reps, but then I caught the flu and, on my return to the gym, decided to reset my technique. Fell into a love/hate relationship with ATG after 40kg reps left me more buggered than 100kg parallels. They also hit more muscles; glutes, adductors. Those long legs of mine are naturally girly looking, so my goal with squats is to put on size. I'm already pretty happy with what I've done, as I look a lot more proportioned than I used to. Still a way to go though. I'm going to set a loose strength goal of 160kg for an ATG squat.

I squat Olympic style with a high bar; I like long walks on the beach after 5pm.

Birdflu?

Seriousy though, your numbers here are very similar to mine. Long legs and poor flexibility in my hips = shitty squats.

I should stretch more.

Birdflu?

Seriousy though, your numbers here are very similar to mine. Long legs and poor flexibility in my hips = shitty squats.

I should stretch more.

I have good flexibility, I think...it's what allows me to go ATG, lower than people 1 foot shorter than me...but I'm just lacking in strength and need to squat more often methinks.