SAU Community

Squattin

TTT

it ain't glamorous and it ain't fun... but when you do it regularly magical things start happening... an awesome exercise if your feeling stressed or frustrated... a proper squat session is like nothing else, it gives you an awesome appetite and you sleep like a baby

and it cures cancer... obviously

my old man is nearly 70, 65kg and does 5 sets of 20 reps with 60kg... don't let a senior citizen out squat you!

I was watching the fattest losers last night while eating a bowl of ice cream with cookies and maple syrup... and before it came back from an ad break, the commando was on giving a "TIP".

I cheered and did fist pumps like I had just won lotto..

There was the commando, Barbell on his traps.

And it goes something like this.

C - "Here is an exercise that will not only help you lose weight but also give you an all body workout and get you strong" Squats!

me - "here we go.. time to see some 1/4 squats to make sure the knees are safe"

C - "If you want, start with a broom stick to get used to the position... what you want to do is put the bar across the back of your shoulders, pull your shoulders back to create a platform there, have your feet shoulder width apart, take a breath in, then sink down and back keeping your knees out until you are at the bottom (he was well below parallel), then push back up. Everything moves up together, everything stays tight"

me - "Holy shit!!"

C - "get some weight on to the bar and start by doing 3 sets of 10 reps then increase the resistance. If you are over 40, you may need to be more careful of your joints.. I recommend *insert some brand of joint formula here*" (pumps out nice full depth reps as it fades off to an ad with the other male trainer and same joint care formula)

me - *choking on a cookie I didn't fully chew* "f**k yeah!! - Do some squats you fatties.. get that up ya!!!!"

Didn't even care that it was an ad for some shit.

Edited by TTT

That's brilliant... I've never seen them do any barbell work on that show

I hate reality TV but must admit I've watched a few episodes of the fatties... waiting for the first person to have a massive heart attack and die on camera

The crying annoys me, but a couple of the fatties work hard during the workouts that we see.

I like seeing that.

It's also probably the best show to watch while having desert.

• 2 weeks later...

inb4 Birds' squat thread

Currently:

60kg x 10

70kg x 10

80kg x 10

90kg x 5

60kg x 10

70kg x 10

80kg x 10

90kg x 5

95kg x 2

Watch this space for big improvements, given I can only work legs at the moment. May start dropping to 5 rep sets, as my warmups are taxing me up top quite a bit...though its not as it I'm not making gains.

The ATG squat has a bias towards glutes and adductors, so I'm smashing leg press after squats to give the quads a good bashing too. After this and hamstring curls, I start walking like a zombie.

if you want more quad work try front squats with an olympic stance

you could squat twice a week... do one day with high reps, light weight... sets of 10-20... then do a heavy day where you do very light warm ups then do 5 x 5 or even 5 x 3

in the above your mixing both... which as you say makes you too tired when it gets heavy

Or I could squat 4 times a week, 2 for light weights and 2 for heavy :D

Good suggestion though. Might allow my legs to recover quicker too.

Can't really do front stance, as I think it will aggravate my supraspinatus. I'm lucky that i can bend my arms enough for high bar. My quads do get plenty of work, don't get me wrong...but it's nice to add that little extra with the leg press and to finish them off in a way that squats can't without losing form. I was considering mixing up the parallels with ATG so that I get a bit more quad action going on there and have more strength for getting out of a half way hole.

60kg x 10

70kg x 10

80kg x 10

90kg x 5

95kg x 2

60kg x 10

70kg x 10

80kg x 10

90kg x 6

95kg x 3

Might add a 6th/1RM set to this so I can start using it to leverage my sets of reps and up their weight. 100 should be fairly doable for a start.