SAU Community

I've thought about writing up one of these for a while now and I've got some time to kill at work at the moment so I guess here we go

Some background first

My first car was an old red 86 corolla while I was on my L's. The car ended up getting totalled out the front of my parents house in the early hours of the morning.
Scrapped that car and bought a 97 EK1 Civic, an awesome little car to cruise around in on my red P's

Had plans on doing a b18 conversion on it but ended up buying a 97 DC2 Integra instead. Only a few basic bolt on mods were done by the boys at Toda in wetherill park, 115kw at the fronts
I had this through my red and green P's.

I lost my licence for 3 months and during this time 2 cars caught my eye, S15 Spec-R and R34 GTT. 2 guys I used to work with owned 1 of these each.
The more I looked in to both these cars, the more I fell in love with the GTT.

Now I knew what car I wanted, and I knew exactly how I wanted it to look. Black and with the Nismo kit

Fast forward a year and a bit to december 2011, I sold the integra and bought a run around corolla so I could save up for the GTT

So I searched around the net for over a year or so looking for that "one" car. Until in april 2012, searching carsales at work, I finally found it. It looked clean, well looked after and exactly what I wanted.

I called a mate of mine and sent him the link to look over. After working out the funds and a few email conversations with the seller, it was time to go see her in person.

I took a mate of mine with me as he has owned a few skylines and knew what to look for.
We pull up to the meeting place and there it was, the pictures did not do it justice. Even before we got out of the car I told my mate I'm buying it.

I had him look it over from to to bottom and after a talk with the owner it was time for a drive.

Now the funny thing was, I was still on my green P's, I could of gone for them whenever I wanted, just never had the need to, until now lol

I had my mate test drive it for me and once he gave me the go a head I left a deposit.

As we were driving back to our mechanics place he said to me he never understood my obsession with getting the GTT with the nismo kit until he saw this one lol

A couple of days after that I got my full licence and a few days after that I paid the rest and picked her up.

So that's my story and here she is

A few days after I picked her up last year
yYmz8.jpg

QDG6p.jpg

s1SkO.jpg

Out with a some mates a few weeks later

mixeTqj.jpg

• Like 1

Nice thread mate. I assume the mods in your signature are what is done? Future plans?

Planning on tracking it at all or just keeping it as a daily?

Cheers Timmy

Yeh, thats whats currently in the car.

It is and will be my daily for quite a while but I plan on hitting the track and quarter to have some fun

The car had some nice mods already on it. Pipe work was already done, turbo timer, FMIC, fuel pump, ECU, clutch, turbosmart boost tap

It was also tuned on 15psi and made 206kw at the rears

I had my first problem with the car on the long weekend in June 2012

I was on my way to work (on my birthday), it had just been raining and I was cut off by a P plater, I jumped on the breaks to avoid being hit and the ass end slide out.

I kept control as much as I could but ended up smacking in to the gutter. Buckled both left rims and damaged the sway bar links.

Pic of the back left rim

ndBbjRn.jpg

While the 2 left rims were getting repaired I decided to get all 4 repainted

I thought while the car was out of action it was time to upgrade the suspension

I dropped the car off at my mechanics house and put the order in. Pedders adjustable coilovers, whiteline adjustable front and rear sway bars and whiteline sway bar links

xziPuqD.jpg

D7L14Ga.jpg

o2lcZBB.jpg

A couple of weeks later the rims were back and they looked great

pZIz7hI.jpg

After having the car back for a few months I decided it was time to change the look of the car a bit

I always had my eye on a set of Defi gauges and thanks to a member on here I was able to pick up a nice second hand set.

The orange blinkers looked crap so I bought a set of Nismo clear front and side indicators and also a nice Nismo leather gear knob

The oil temp wasn't set up yet as we needed a sandwich plate

cO9UR.jpg

Also went on my first Bells Line run. The car never felt so good going up the mountain with the new suspension. It was like it was on rails.

I also got my new plates :)

hN1qV3Z.jpg

hYPWdDP.jpg

Also added some small goodies from Nengun

vp1SuPG.jpg

Edited by RiseofBrutality

The car stayed this way up until a few weeks ago

My mechanic had a second hand HKS GTRS turbo sitting in his garage and said it was mine if I wanted it.

I held out for as long as I could and eventually gave in and started working on more power

I gave the keys to him and borrowed his car for a few weeks

It was also time to finish the suspension with a set of whiteline adjustable cambers, finally get the sandwich plate put in for the oil temp and put in the Profec B II EBC

The turbo was put in and after fixing up some boosting problems (well lack of boost) it was ready to take her for a run and see how the new turbo went

wKYwE6F.jpg

Holy crap did it pull. I could instantly feel the difference.

I left the car with him for a bit longer just to tidy up a few things. I get a phone call a few days later telling me the HKS wastegate snapped. We didn't know the condition of the turbo or how it would go so I'm kind of lucky it was only the wastegate that failed.

Opted to go for a Turbosmart wastegate with a minimum 14psi spring.

Installed that baby and took it out for a spin.

We had to adjust the wastegate quite a bit as the car was boosting around 24psi. In the end it was around 18psi.

It was now time to take her home ready for the tune the next day

Myself, mechanic and some mates had long talk about who we were going to get to tune the car and decided to get the boys at Insight Motorsport a go and I was the guinea pig.

So I dropped her off tuesday morning at Insight and picked it up around midday wednesday after the cold start tune.

The plan was to have a low (15psi) and high (18-20psi) boost.

Slight problem, we maxed out the injectors and AFM

So a safe tune was done on 16psi. The car made 220kw at the rears.

DVnSFhA.jpg

I was very, very happy with how the car was running. It felt a lot stronger and just wanted to keep pulling

The guys at Insight said that the turbosmart wastegate was a good choice.

So that's where I'm at now.

Plan for the future will be a new ECU, 1000cc injectors and cams. Retune her and hopefully get close to 270-280

End game is 300-350 but that will be way down the track

New front seats (Bride) and rims (TE37SL) are also on the cards

Edited by RiseofBrutality

Good read man. How long until you think you will get the injectors and ECU?

Can you post an engine bay pic, I wouldn't mind seeing what the oil cap looks like on the engine.

Can I suggest (not trying to be rude) that you should respray the intercooler, the car looks clean, especially after the wheels being resprayed, but I think the intercooler makes it look a bit tacky front on. Black on black looks great though :)

Good read man. How long until you think you will get the injectors and ECU?

Can you post an engine bay pic, I wouldn't mind seeing what the oil cap looks like on the engine.

Can I suggest (not trying to be rude) that you should respray the intercooler, the car looks clean, especially after the wheels being resprayed, but I think the intercooler makes it look a bit tacky front on. Black on black looks great though :)

It will be a few months before I get the injectors and ECU. Need new tires and insurance is due next month

I'm with you there on the intercooler Tim, a respray is in order

Bay needs a bit of a clean up

W0bAh1r.jpg

It will be a few months before I get the injectors and ECU. Need new tires and insurance is due next month

I'm with you there on the intercooler Tim, a respray is in order

Bay needs a bit of a clean up

Any pics without the neo cover? :P

• 1 month later...

Injectors will be maxed but i was running 250kw with the stock AFM.... BUT if you are tuning more you might as well do it at the same time :yes:

Good to see another GTT in the build!

Any updates? Sorted out the injectors and AFM yet?

No updates yet. I'm happy with the power at the moment so I'm in no rush to add more at this stage (even though my mechanic keeps hounding me to do more :P)

There are a few other things I want to do to the car before I bump up the power. New seats and rims are high on the list as well as a nice sound system

Injectors will be maxed but i was running 250kw with the stock AFM.... BUT if you are tuning more you might as well do it at the same time :yes:

Good to see another GTT in the build!

I could push the turbo a little more with what I've got, it's currently running at 50% capacity but I'd rather play it safe and not blow anything

I've read through a number of the GTT builds including yours and they have given me a lot of ideas on where to go with this car

• 4 weeks later...

Things have been slow with the 34, power is on hold until I upgrade the oil pump (which will be a nitto), sump and a gates racing timing belt.

I did do my first Putty Rd run, that was fun, long but fun :)

My pain in the ass of a mechanic was throwing ideas at me the other night.

With the money I'm going to spend on upgrading the 25 neo, he brought up the idea of a 26/30 combo. He's already got a 30 bottom end sitting at home. I just need to find a 26 head

So...... I'm racking my brain at the moment whether to build the 25 or build a 26/30.

I guess I could easily get my 350kw mark on low boost and have the option of upping the boost when needed

Opinions anyone?

Hey mate nice looking gtt!

I would use the neo head on the 30 bottom end. Someone on here can explain this better but i have heard the neo head is better to use than the 26 because of the variable vct making it more responsive

My opinion is to stick with the stock NEO and bolt ons, do the AFM and tune it up.... I've been running over 350kw on my stock engine for 7000km no prob, it's even seen 28psi on the stock headgasket... The NEO is the way to go, spend the money on the right combo of bolt ons and enjoy.... Everytime i see someone go down the 26 or 30 path with a 34 I just scratch my head and wonder why.... I'm running huge power now and have spent the money on the bolt on parts, if the engine lets go, $1200 and go again!! I could kill 10 engines to your 1 for the same price....

#@RiseofBrutality - Bargained it down, nice. That is a decently good amount of KM's

I actually didn't have to bargain it down :)

When I first saw the add and emailed him, he said the lowest he would go down to would be 16k, I threw around some numbers to see if I could afford it as well as paying off my house

I checked back a few days later and he had it down to 15.5k, at that time I put the call in to a mate and told him he was coming with me to check the car out

My opinion is to stick with the stock NEO and bolt ons, do the AFM and tune it up.... I've been running over 350kw on my stock engine for 7000km no prob, it's even seen 28psi on the stock headgasket... The NEO is the way to go, spend the money on the right combo of bolt ons and enjoy.... Everytime i see someone go down the 26 or 30 path with a 34 I just scratch my head and wonder why.... I'm running huge power now and have spent the money on the bolt on parts, if the engine lets go, $1200 and go again!! I could kill 10 engines to your 1 for the same price....

I see your point.

I need to have a proper sit down with my mechanic and have a good talk

I've just spent the first 2-3 hours of my shift reading your build thread...... again :)

Is your beast going to be at texi this weekend? I wouldn't mind having a chat with you about your build (also need a guinea pig for some gopro vids :P)