SAU Community

M35 Transmission Cooler

m35stagea

Ok im not near my car so I cant check.. and I want to buy. What is everyone running and what pipe dia am I looking at?

Does it get cold enough in sydney to require a thermostat?

Going to route to new cooler then through rad...

Edited by m35stagea

Repco - they sell re-branded PWR products. Get them to give you their catalogue flick through and pick the one you want.

3/8ths from memory. Thermostat is neither here nor there. Depends if you are driving 10 mins or 30 mins to work.

Running a Derale Series 7000 cooler on mine with one of those blue thermostats (I am also incorporating the OEM radiator inlet/outlets before both the thermostat and the cooler)

P1000208r_zpsdb59bf29.jpg

P1000207r_zps683527b9.jpg

Comes with 3/8 hose but the barbs out of the transmission and OEM radiator are 8mm so recommend to get some 8mm clear plastic hose from Bunnings etc to use on the barb as a liner which will will out the inside of the 3/8 hose.

Why did you go radiator before the aftermarket cooler? I would of thought it is better to take some work off the radiators in these things?

Take work off the radiator? Man, I can only get over 80 degrees coolant temp if I sit on the side of the road idling for 5+ minutes.

What will happen with the external cooler before the radiator is that you will possibly be warming up the trans fluid on its way back to transmission.

Most efficient way of cooling is to have the ext cooler on the return line back to the transmission. If you are concerned about it getting too cold, just use a thermostat.

Take work off the radiator? Man, I can only get over 80 degrees coolant temp if I sit on the side of the road idling for 5+ minutes.

What will happen with the external cooler before the radiator is that you will possibly be warming up the trans fluid on its way back to transmission.

Most efficient way of cooling is to have the ext cooler on the return line back to the transmission. If you are concerned about it getting too cold, just use a thermostat.

I was under the impression vq's had issues with cooling?

Just ordered 20L of matic j for 176 $ + gst so ill do cooler with shift kit... I noticed yesterday it was fairly warm and car seemed to feel it. I also noticed the clutch fan to be alot louder..

I got a Davies Craig off eBay and the blue thermostat thing too.. I mounted mine in the passenger front guard with venting..

Just another option

But it does limit your size if you put it there

what side is the transmission inlet and outlet ?

I was under the impression vq's had issues with cooling?

Just ordered 20L of matic j for 176 $ + gst so ill do cooler with shift kit... I noticed yesterday it was fairly warm and car seemed to feel it. I also noticed the clutch fan to be alot louder..

They do run quite warm... without the cooling mod from Scott.

what side is the transmission inlet and outlet ?

The line that enters the passenger side of the radiator is the trans outlet.

The problem with our auto is that it needs to be up to operating temp before it works right. If you go removing the line from the radiator or cooling the fluid to a more sensible temperature, it will drive like crap, or worse never drop in to 5th.

The way I got around it was to cut the two temp signal wires at the TCU and drop varisters over them. This tells the gearbox it is already at operating temp, allowing me to cool the fluid as much as I like and the bonus is it doesn't go into overheat limp mode on the track anymore.

post-63525-0-29908300-1366105489_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

The problem with our auto is that it needs to be up to operating temp before it works right. If you go removing the line from the radiator or cooling the fluid to a more sensible temperature, it will drive like crap, or worse never drop in to 5th.

The way I got around it was to cut the two temp signal wires at the TCU and drop varisters over them. This tells the gearbox it is already at operating temp, allowing me to cool the fluid as much as I like and the bonus is it doesn't go into overheat limp mode on the track anymore.

I love those kinds of mods - big win for little outlay. Not necessary for me but I like it anyway :yes:

Edited by Commsman

• 3 years later...

Does someone still have an active link for those thermostats? Or possibly the suitable operating temperature for them? I see there are a few options out there including single inline type or supply and return type thermos, could anyone recommend what to go for as my set up will be stand alone cooler seperate from the radiator, hoping to fit it in somewhere behind the grille but always open to more advice, many thanks

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008BTJFJ4/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=1944687582&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000HE8HAY&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=03CJAYFFKWJZ02F2ND8S

The trans thermostats we used? Those ones linked, but there are heaps of different designs, most of which take up a lot more room.

Loading up the radiator by fitting coolers in front of it will not only make the radiator ineffective but overheat your aircon condensor too. Shame there are no side ducts. :/

• Like 1

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008BTJFJ4/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=1944687582&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000HE8HAY&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=03CJAYFFKWJZ02F2ND8S

The trans thermostats we used? Those ones linked, but there are heaps of different designs, most of which take up a lot more room.

Loading up the radiator by fitting coolers in front of it will not only make the radiator ineffective but overheat your aircon condensor too. Shame there are no side ducts. :/

Need the Nismo front bar; a bit of side ducting there...

• Like 1