SAU Community

Air Con Tensioner

cowdy

hey guys not sure it anyone has posted this yet but i did my air con tensioner bearing today it was squealing something chronic!

the bearing to replace is a 6301

just press in and press out

to get to it i took the fan out, undid the pulley and took it out, then i loosened off the tensioner and did the bearing

put the pulley back on and tensioner the belt locked it off and fan back on easy as that.

any questions fire away

nissan wanted $132 for the pulley and that was with trade discount!
spent $4.60 on a bearing and fixed! :)

I got some questions lol. How do you know you needed to change the bearings?

My drive belts were working fine but a little old. I decided to have all 3 replaced with new gates ones.

My mechanic did all 3. When I got the car back, if the AC engages at higher than 2000prm, there is a loud chirp sound. It doesn't sound like a belt squeal, more like a gear grinding.

For example. I go to my car in the morning

Start the car with AC on. It ticks over with the regular "tick: sound as soon as the car starts.

AC is running. I give the car a fair bit of gas to take of quick out of the kerb.

RB goes prruururuRUURURMRMRMR, then I hear a TURRRRCHHHehco through the street because of the AC. Sounds like its doing damage.

I think its because soon as I take of and go past 4000rpm, the ECU will turn of the AC as normal, then turn it back on and thats when it makes the noise.

Its normal for the ECU to turn the AC of at higher RPM but I never used to hear the noise before.

Lastly which bearing type is ishttp://www.bearings.uk.com/acatalog/6301_Bearing.html

The one with the black outer casings on them

I knew they needed to be changed because I listened to the noise, and also had the car off and felt the pulley I could wobble it back and forwards so I was like ahh FOUND IT!!.

( here is a little mechanics trick) I got a long screwdriver about 40cm or longer and you put it on the nut of the pulley or on the unit it's self if your trying to listen to bearing noises and you can usually hear the difference between a good and worn bearing. Try this with the power steer pump put it on the unit, you can hear normal bearing noise and use that at your benchmark if that pulley sounds like a dry skate board bearing then quiet simply it's f***ed

As for the Ac in higher revs I have no idea. It could be the bearing making a noise with load on at a higher rpm, but I would take it to your mechanic to get it checked out because grinding is never good from engines

Edited by cowdy

Mechanic that put in the belt says its fine. But it never used to do it . I had a look at the AC whilst a friend enagaged/disengaed it. It doesn't look like the belt is slipping upon engagement but rather something else in the AC compressor pulley system is grinding to get up to speed of the belt. I guess I just have to live with it and wait for the AC to possibly break and then replace it with a new one cos I have no idea what else to do besides tighten the belt, which is at maximum adjustment as it is.

where abouts are you? if your in the Brisbane area you could bring it into the shop and we could have a look, but i agree with steven it could be the clutch,

also you should never have belts over tightened it can cause bearing failure. about 3 to 5 mm of deflection is good to have each way from where the belt sits.

Thanks for the offer. I'm in Syd but.

Ah yea The AC clutch probably is the cause then. I assume its is inside the compressor and has nothing to do with how the belt/pulley system is operating? If its going to cost that much I may as well just leave it alone and just replace the entire AC compressor if anything goes wrong.

As for tightening belts, I ordered a set of gates belts from here

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GATES-DRIVE-BELT-SET-NISSAN-SKYLINE-R33-GTST-RB25DET-/110916206167?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item19d31efe57

The Alt belt 4pk855 that came with it, my mechanic said it was too long. So I had to buy a separate 4pk 845. Its Almost at maximum tight adjustment, still squealing when I start the car after a few hours. I tighten it more, it stops for a few days, and starts again. I have no idea what could possibly cause a brand new, shorter than recommended belt to sequel. There is no oil there. I keep tightening the belt every few days and its tight as.

Ah well I figure if its loose enough to be squealing the bearings should be fine. :)

That's just the altinator belt right?

Make sure it has a washer on the nut. If not put a spring/split washer in there to try hold it. Also while the car is off. Spray all the insides of the belts with crc's cilocone spray (blue can) for about half second in the same spot do not move the spray it will work it's way aroud

Yeah probably your best and cheapes bet. I just got kind of embarrassed that my car was squeeling. I didn't wanna be that douche bag p plater that's dosnt look after there car

• 3 months later...

Should be able to get it from CBC bearings or any good bearing place

Best bet is to pull the tensioner off the car and take it in with you, or pull the bearing out of hte tensioner and take the bearing itself in.

They will be able to easily match it then if the part number isnt right

• 4 weeks later...

If you have a workshop press that is the best way but if not guessing not get 2 pieces of wood support the pulley evenly and get a drift or something that fits on the bearing to knock it out with. Use that and the hammer and knock it out. To get the new one in. Sit the new bearing in, the old bearing on top and lightly tap the outter race in evenly

Using the old bearing on top prevents you damaging the new bearing

Any more questions or if it was a little confusing just ask away

• 3 years later...

Yeah check that small bottom pulley that goes to the air conditioning mine the bearing was wobbled out too making a weird noise.

In the r33 you just take off the plastic pan cover underneath and unbolt the pulley it just slides off with a few washers and then release the tensioner all the way back so you can get the belt on after.

I couldn't get the bearing to budge so I went to the local wreckers and got the pulley with a good bearing for $10...funny thing they had to take a few off motors before they got a good one all the other the bearings were gone too so maybe a lot more common than you think.

My dad did finally get the bearing out but it took a hell of a lot of pressure.

Edited by stewart1
spelling