SAU Community

The Infirmary

Birds

You don't say.. lol

You wanna know how it happened?...

My dog was sniffing poo and I yelled at her to stop and she picked it up so I turned and ran towards her yelling no...

That turning/running and leaning over did something...

iced last night and hobbled today... Hurts to lock it out.

Sigh... Got done over by dog eating poo.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

OK I can't see me squatting or DL'ing anything for some time now.

Warmed up and got into session but half way through second set of squats that pain in my back/SIJ went bang and got very sharp in that area and down my left leg.

Had to put bar on safeties, and cannot lift it back up onto pins.

Painful to walk/stand/sit/ just generally move.

I've had a hot shower and tried a heat pack didn't do much, trying ice now which is not doing much either.

I'm going to try and get into my physio again tomorrow if possible.

Hoping it feels somewhat better tomorrow morning.

Pretty crushed as I have that sinking feeling of being out of action for a while.

Well I've got a small update, and I may have jumped the gun a "bit" but to be fair, any issue at the moment feels like a mountain because progress is so slow and I'm so mindful that a small slip up can be a very time consuming set back.

It's still pretty tender, but not as bad as it was when I did it. I'm back at work without pain killers but sitting uncomfortably.

I'm seeing my physio today and managed to get into an Osteo last night, he said he was confident I've not done anything major (slipped/crushed disc big ruptures those sort of things) and felt that given the tightness in the area and the cold that the muscles had been too tight and strained a bit which failed to hold the SIJ in place and I'd then in turn strained the SIJ and into the lower lumbar (I think he said L5/L6 area) he did some work on it and made the same comments the physio has been saying, my external posterior chain strength appears quite good but that there's an underlying instability in my core allowing this SIJ movement and irritation.

The consensus being that working being off my feet for 2-3mths and working in a recliner has basically allowed my pelvic floor and associated stabilisers to puss out and now they are not coming back on because I'm relying on abs and obliques to lock up and provide stability.

So I'm going to drop a touch of weight off the squat, DL, and rows, not that it wasn't already light by standards, and just maintain the motions while I focus some solid attention on improve that inner core stability that seems to be upsetting things.

Went to my regular physio, she said the same things as the Osteo, but commented that it should have been a lot worse and that I was recovering quite well so said I should be thankful that I'm "high tone" which is the expression she uses for people who exercises a bit and have decent muscular control/awareness/recruitment etc.

She said treat it like a sprain and get back to squatting/DL etc when pain permits but that dropping a touch of weight off and focusing more on the inner core stuff was the best coourse so I'll sit on my numbers for a bit and get my back sorted.

TTT: Weird, I've had knee pain before from bike riding etc and it's always been during the load phase, lockout is always fine, so to only hurt during actual lockout is a weird one.

This guy seemed to cite similar symptoms but no word on the actual cause.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=150837083&page=1

Question for you lot...

If you fell on your knee in a game of basketball, and your knee was quite sore / potentially chipped somewhere, would you still squat?

Well this happened to me about 3 weeks ago during basketball and I've been squatting since...no pain brought on by the squatting motion itself, but could certainly feel the bruising all the time. It's gotten much better since, save for a tiny bit of residual pain. Just curious what everyone else would have done in that situation :)

I guess what made me confident in continued squatting, besides the healing effects, is that it wasn't 100% my knee cap, but more towards that obvious bone about 3 inches down from the knee.

That's a bit different then if it wasn't fully the knee.

Old me will now do a warm up and test things out and abort if needed.

Younger me would try and train through or around everything.

Glad it wasn't anything major.

I was able to pick the loaded bar back up and put it on the pins yesterday :)

So my physio and I have come to the conclusion/assumption that my AC ligament (acromioclavicular; not anterior crucial) is likely the problem with my shoulder. This fits well with incline press being the culprit, as the AC ligament allows you to lift your arm above your head - something I could not do the night of the injury.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acromioclavicular_joint

If it persists / doesn't fully recover, I will get an MRI to investigate options, but so far the ultrasound therapy and rehab / rotator strengthening exercises have been going well. It's now about 8-9 weeks since the original injury and I have a 95% range of motion back without pain. I introduced deadlifts just over a week ago, and a couple of weeks ago I tested an empty bench bar with no pain. I have done the empty bench bar a couple of times since, with no pain or clicking. And so lastnight, I added a bit of weight:

Bar/20kg x 10

40kg x 10

50kg x 10

60kg x 10

70kg x 10

These were done very strictly and slowly. Lowering slowly to chest and touching, pausing for a second and then slowly pressing up. I stopped at 70kg, just shy of my old 80kg warm up weight. I figured that was more than enough for my first bench back. Will see how the shoulder feels over the next couple of days and will re-attempt bench at the same weight until I'm confident I can step up the weight. Will also be continuing my stabilizer strengthening exercises to avoid injury occurring again.

Things are looking good so far!

ac will foul when you have rotator damage due to inflamation. It can take upto 6 months to set right (the muscles don't really get rest as they are used all the time).

Don't be tempted back to the bench until you have ROM + equal strength.

Keep up the rehab suff going plus some pro-prioception excersises, these will help get rid of clicking.

• 1 month later...

Question for people with experience in hammy strains.

When looking at my left (good leg) from behind, the main tendon on the outside of the leg keeps twinging and carrying on, sometimes just walking, sometimes bending over to get this.

What's the process for fixing these sorts of strains? IT only pulls a little up into the "meat' of the hammy so to speak.

I've been foam rolling it and doing stretches. I skipped gym last night and may skip Wednesday as well as I've got some other niggles at the moment and haven't taken a full week off in a while.

Question for people with experience in hammy strains.

When looking at my left (good leg) from behind, the main tendon on the outside of the leg keeps twinging and carrying on, sometimes just walking, sometimes bending over to get this.

What's the process for fixing these sorts of strains? IT only pulls a little up into the "meat' of the hammy so to speak.

I've been foam rolling it and doing stretches. I skipped gym last night and may skip Wednesday as well as I've got some other niggles at the moment and haven't taken a full week off in a while.

Foam roll it. Tennis ball it. Pay for a professional to look at it. If you've pulled/torn to an extent where it feels like an injury, not just muscle soreness, you shouldn't be stretching it too much as it doesn't pay to stretch a tear.

I wouldn't just focus on that area either. Do your glutes, hips and lower back as well.

If you're taking time off workouts, use that time to research and learn more about the muscles, makes it easier to tell a professional what you think is up.

Edited by jangles

Have been, I may stop stretching it as anything I read says if you have discomfort walking that's a "grade 2" which sounds stupid but just means it'll take 1-3 weeks to recover with minimal usage.

Oddly it doesn't really bother me when gyming, but I just thought it was a good idea to sort it before going heavier.

Have been, I may stop stretching it as anything I read says if you have discomfort walking that's a "grade 2" which sounds stupid but just means it'll take 1-3 weeks to recover with minimal usage.

Oddly it doesn't really bother me when gyming, but I just thought it was a good idea to sort it before going heavier.

I doubt a professional would grade it as a 2, a 3 is a rupture, which is off the pelvis, requiring stitching to attach.

I couldn't walk and mine was only a grade two, there are large variances though.

If you feel it's a grade two, you'd be mad not to seek professional advice/help. Scar tissue doesn't just disappear.

Oh not by your scale no, no way at all.

Its very minor in my opinion but persistent.

It's just a niggle that twinges regularly but I'd like to avoid it becoming a bigger problem.

I only said grade 2 in terms of something I was reading that stepped up to above a basic strain when you felt it walking as well, which I do.

But not by the standard you are referring, no.