SAU Community

The Infirmary

Birds

Can monkey grip my left hand behind my back, but the right has always been about half an inch away from reaching up and touching the left hand. Not that I think it's related, as I attribute boxing to my shoulder injury...but the imbalance in flexibility probably isn't good.

Back test = very slight arch in back to touch wrists, if I flatten the arch then my wrists are half an inch off the ground.

Did I do okay?

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So... might be the right place i guess.

I have cramps very frequently. jaw, shoulder, neck, thighs, butt, lower back, fingers, pretty much anywhere, even obscure muscles around the rib area.

Now, what might i be deficient in?

I get cramping particularly on leg day due to my lacking water intake through the day....I'll drink between 1 and 1.5 litres of water from the point I get out of bed (6:30am) until I get to work, and then nothing until I get to the gym at roughly 5pm. Other than the recent cramping, I function perfectly on this amount of water so I never really considered it to be the cause...however since I've ramped up my food intake something fierce, I've been cramping. Forced myself to drink a further 1.5L between lunch and gym on one occasion, which seemingly cured my cramp ailments entirely, as well as giving me a small increase in strength.

Unfortunately I'll always struggle to drink "enough" water through the day, which is why I've started consuming a mass gainer shake again in place of a portion of my normal food intake. Caloric intake is pretty well the same as before, as are my macros (well, close enough) however my water intake has increased without me even having to TRY since 600ml of water in a shake tastes significantly better than 600ml of water by itself.

I also like FIGJAM's reasoning (well, I think it was him) regarding BCAA supp making water tasty. I might see how cheaply I can find a sugar free electrolyte powder for the same kinda thing, since I think my diet likely lacks the right salts as well.

haven't actually llooked around for sugar free electrolyte powders but that sounds like it'd be difficult to find...keeping in mind no sugar = sweeteners! just chuck a spoon of salt into your water and mix it round easy done

even better, fruit juice. make it.

haven't actually llooked around for sugar free electrolyte powders but that sounds like it'd be difficult to find...keeping in mind no sugar = sweeteners! just chuck a spoon of salt into your water and mix it round easy done

even better, fruit juice. make it.

sodium chloride isn't the only salt your body needs though, is it? And nothing wrong with sweeteners as far as I've experienced - the only thing that tasted foul and left a horrible taste was Lipton "light" ice tea (bought it by accident years ago).

I'm fairly certain Bulk Nutrients' electrolyte powder will be sugar free, but I don't see the point paying the flat rate postage for a single cheap purchase haha

We all know I have a shoulder problem at the moment. GP saw the ultrasound and is adamant its just inflammation/sprain of the supraspinatus. I personally call bullshit and will be seeing a physio about it for a second opinion. The anti-inflams are helping more each day, but are starting to plateau in what they can do for me, which makes me worry a bit, that there is an underlying issue and that's why the supraspinatus turned to shit in the first place.

These anti inflammatories started to give me stomach/gastrointestinal ulcers and nausea, so I gave them up. Apparently the ones I was taking are pretty strong, according to Google. They'd probably run their course in terms of what they could do for me anyway.

Got to seeing a physio; his opinion being...well he didn't really have an opinion. Apparently I have weird shoulders and the problem is even weirder. He couldn't make out much from the ultrasound images, besides supraspinatus inflammation. I asked him if we should do an MRI and he said to wait until we get desperate. In the meantime he gave me stretches and internal/external rotation exercises to do. He also did some ultrasound therapy which made it feel pretty good.

So I did the exercises and stretches (supposed to stretch the range of motion that makes it painful and hold it there for 10 seconds). Second session with the physio - more US therapy, a couple more rehab exercises and permission to play basketball...as long as I don't develop pain during a game, only after...and then to ice it if I do.

Range of motion is getting better and it does seem to be hurting a lot less. Coming up to about the 5th/6th week since the injury occurred, so fingers crossed the old 6-8 weeks rule applies here. I tried an empty bench bar yesterday and it was painless, which is a good sign.

birds. The issue with your shoulder is long standing. It will mean that connecting muscles need active release. This includes the pecs and bicep insetions. A good physio will do ART (active release therapy) , you will have a nice bruise on the chest and biceps afterwards. It's pretty easy to test for muscle knots.

Lay down on your back on the floor. One arm straight out to the side. Keep the arm straight and bring the hand up so it's pointing to the ceiling. As you do this movement jam you thumb in around where the pec connects to the shoulder. You will notice tight muscles as you try different spots. You can use the same technique to un-knot just use more force on the knotted muscle.

How do you go for the broomstick shoulder dislocation stretch?(example vid below, although do it slower than shown) You can do this with bands to strengthen also but, the broomstick is better to start.This will also sometimes help if you have a clicky shoulder by working the scapular and supporting muscles in controlled motion.

Dry needling birds. Best shit for proper release in that area. I know a good physio in melb if you want to try.

he's also built a twin charged rb25/30 and possibly a member of this forum.... Actually.. let me see if I can get him in here.

Thanks for the tips,,,

My mother is a remedial masseuse, so I might get her to go to town on those muscle groups.

Dry needling, will consider this if massage does not help the nots. Not a huge fan of things poking my skin if I can avoid it!