The Infirmary

Birds

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

foam roll the piriformis see if you have a knot. search youtube for howto vid. Basically , you can have knot that will cause the ITB to lock up / pinch nerve.

Then once you have unknotted it do the ITB foam roller. Done the right way you won't need a ball. Both legs together straight with feet off the floor , should do the trick.

piriformis is fine, and that one I remember from when my SIJ was unhappy.

My ITB's are bloody tender though, on the right side (none affected hammy side) it's so tender it makes me giggle (what I do when something i really uncomfortable).

I had a good session last night but hammy is still twinging.

Anybody got any tips on tight hip flexors, I will go see the physio in a few days but I'm pretty sure he'll tell me to keep doing what I'm doing

I'll tell you the same thing for half the price!! hahaha

sorry, I had to :(

Yep exactly what I'm already doing, was hoping someone would have some super magic miracle snake oil that would fix it haha

I'll tell you the same thing for half the price!! hahaha

sorry, I had to :(

Fair enough haha the one I go to at the moment is surprisingly cheap, but I still avoid it if i can

Yep exactly what I'm already doing, was hoping someone would have some super magic miracle snake oil that would fix it haha

Fair enough haha the one I go to at the moment is surprisingly cheap, but I still avoid it if i can

A good massage to release them works. Then keep on top by stretching etc. look up

http://www.google.com.au/search?q=kelly+starrett+hip+flexors&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-gb&client=safari

If they aren't better after those videos and explanations, watch them again and do them again properly.

Edited by jangles

Busted my shoulder in a mtb crash this morning. Think it's only soft tissue. Ambos checked me out and found no broken bones. Bloody sore though. it doesn't hurt to touch, just hurts if I move my arm (if I move my arm with my other arm it is kind of ok, but if I try to move it by itself it kills). Going to be a crappy nights sleep tonight.

Busted my shoulder in a mtb crash this morning. Think it's only soft tissue. Ambos checked me out and found no broken bones. Bloody sore though. it doesn't hurt to touch, just hurts if I move my arm (if I move my arm with my other arm it is kind of ok, but if I try to move it by itself it kills). Going to be a crappy nights sleep tonight.

Sorry to hear you were involved in an accident, what happened? Hope you get better soon. I've injured the shoulder I sleep on; can not sleep on the other side it's just not right for me!

Sorry to hear you were involved in an accident, what happened? Hope you get better soon. I've injured the shoulder I sleep on; can not sleep on the other side it's just not right for me!

I ran out of talent, lol. I hesitated on a jump, landed funny and did a bit of a superman impression before landing on my head/shoulder

Slept better than I expected, but still pretty crap.

I ran out of talent, lol. I hesitated on a jump, landed funny and did a bit of a superman impression before landing on my head/shoulder

Slept better than I expected, but still pretty crap.

Sounds interesting, hope you recover soon

I have a question, decided not to gym until injury healed, so I've missed two weight sessions and a cardio session so far; today I'm in more pain than I was last week. My question is could exercising be helping my injury by stretching it? I wasn't in this much pain when exercising so I don't really see the point of not doing any at the moment. Got trigger point in a week and a half so not sure what to do this week! Thanks

I have a question, decided not to gym until injury healed, so I've missed two weight sessions and a cardio session so far; today I'm in more pain than I was last week. My question is could exercising be helping my injury by stretching it? I wasn't in this much pain when exercising so I don't really see the point of not doing any at the moment. Got trigger point in a week and a half so not sure what to do this week! Thanks

Nope. The stretching and mobillity is important but, stressing the injured muscles with lifting in the gym will yield more damage. Resistance training is about causing micro tears in muscle, you have more than you need of those. You must wait for them to repair.

Injuries like yours (if it's the back one) are often refered pain and can have delays in onset. Some injuries will progressively deteriorate after the harm is done initially for a period and then spasms can onset as other stabilising muscles try to support the injury.

This is normal. If there is pain then 'ice' to reduce the inflamation and rest it. Once there is a reduction in swelling you can do the gentle mobility stuff.

Your core is likely very strong so do not fear that the strength is going to fade away. Fitness does drop off relatively quickly but, returns just as fast. Strength , provided you eat fades very very slowly.

Edited by rev210

So an update on my injury. It was getting much better. Could lift my arm out sideways up till it was about level with my shoulder. Then at work yesterday I felt something pop in my shoulder and all the pain was back and I couldn't move move my arm out sideways at all. Went to the hospital after work. Got xrays done (this was the first time getting medical attention on the injury since I crashed, other than the ambos giving me a quick check over). Nothing out of place in the xrays. Then the doctor checked me out and thinks I have a partial tear/separation in the outer of the 2 bicep muscles. So I have to not use my arm for a week (which is hard when you have a job that is somewhat physical)

Ugh that sucks man, hope it heals up quick.

I've also got an injury question.

This hammy of mine doesn't want to get better and was quite tender last night.

Everything I read says rest it, but I took a week off at one point and it made no difference.

I also read that repeated hammy strains are indicative of hip flexor issues, or weakness in the glutes or adductors.

I also noticed quite a bit of lower back tightness/discomfort when squatting recently.

Any ideas on what it might be/what I could do to sort it?