SAU Community

Shaving And You.

NYTSKY

I use a beard trimmer, VS Sassoon iTrim. I'm on my second one as the first f**ked up, stopped holding charge and would even slow down/stop while shaving with it plugged in. I sent it back and they replaced it with an apology letter and all that, so pretty hassle free, but the replacement one started doing the same thing within a year I'd say.

Still got it and it still gets the job done, but doesn't hold charge no matter how long you charge it for, and randomly slows down while shaving even when plugged in and when it's been left charging for an hour or so.

I think I'll try a Wahl trimmer next

I use a beard trimmer, VS Sassoon iTrim. I'm on my second one as the first f**ked up, stopped holding charge and would even slow down/stop while shaving with it plugged in. I sent it back and they replaced it with an apology letter and all that, so pretty hassle free, but the replacement one started doing the same thing within a year I'd say. Still got it and it still gets the job done, but doesn't hold charge no matter how long you charge it for, and randomly slows down while shaving even when plugged in and when it's been left charging for an hour or so. I think I'll try a Wahl trimmer next

Exact same issue with my trimmer, same brand as well.

I find that I sometimes get neck irritations and sometimes acne on the neck as a result of shaving, I use a multi-blade Gillete cartridge shaver with gel, I use hot water before hand and an after-shave cream. Any suggestions?

I used to get similar issues. You may have sensitive skin and need a better quality razor or you may have to change the blade more often then others (rule of thumb, a blade will last 7-10 shaves before needing to be replaced), shaving cream and a gentler after shave. Also before I apply after shave i hit my face with a cold towel to help the skin. Hope that helps mate.

I use a beard trimmer, VS Sassoon iTrim. I'm on my second one as the first f**ked up, stopped holding charge and would even slow down/stop while shaving with it plugged in. I sent it back and they replaced it with an apology letter and all that, so pretty hassle free, but the replacement one started doing the same thing within a year I'd say. Still got it and it still gets the job done, but doesn't hold charge no matter how long you charge it for, and randomly slows down while shaving even when plugged in and when it's been left charging for an hour or so. I think I'll try a Wahl trimmer next

These things are cheap gimmicks IMO. I have one and the power cord slowly falls out the bottom of it, which causes it to run on batteries only, which had about 1 minute of life in it. Have to keep pushing the cord back into it again or hold it in place. Was a good idea for a shaving product, but poorly executed and there are a few alternatives out now.

Nothing beat my Braun shaver's trimmer for ease of use and outright power when wanting to keep stubble...only had to go over shit once and it was done. But it broke after 3 years of good life and I had to use the iTrim as a substitute...good length but took 4 times as long to use.

These days I shave clean and plan my stubble regrowth for Saturday nights etc. lol

I used to get similar issues. You may have sensitive skin and need a better quality razor or you may have to change the blade more often then others (rule of thumb, a blade will last 7-10 shaves before needing to be replaced), shaving cream and a gentler after shave. Also before I apply after shave i hit my face with a cold towel to help the skin. Hope that helps mate.

I change my blades quite often to try and help (and it does to a certain extent), perhaps a better blade is in order.

I usually wash my face and towel pat dry post shave before my after-shave.

So next stop, better blades.

I haven't shaved with a razor since the first year I started needing to shave. Shit gets way to itchy and red for my liking no matter what gel/cream and razor combo I use. So I just go as close to the skin as I can with clippers and have done so for the last 6 years...

I googled itrim charging issues and a thread on whirlpool came up, so I'd say it's a common problem. Couldn't be bothered reading into it, but they seem to blame it on a cheap transformer and poor, sensitive pin connection in the trimmer.

I'm gonna get a Wahl next

I change my blades quite often to try and help (and it does to a certain extent), perhaps a better blade is in order.

I usually wash my face and towel pat dry post shave before my after-shave.

So next stop, better blades.

also look at your technique, first and main shave should be with the grain, second pass can go any which way for smoothness.

Also had woes with the iTrim and got rid of it long ago. Rocking a Philips style shaver pro now and it is very good. Doesn't have the wanky electric adjustment but it's a lot more accurate and reliable. Also has the shaving attachement on the other end which I never use.

I just use single bladed bics with HOT water around the neck and they don't irritate. btw I haven't had a clean shave for a bout 3 years

Just saw this thread!

I have a tough beard and it grows quickly. I couldn't find any M3 m-power razors and stuffed if I'm going to pay close to $40 for the Fusion crap so after seeing this, I started doing some research. Its amazing the amount of different razors, blades, soaps, creams and all the other stuff thats out there. They have forums for it!!!!!!

So after my research I went and bought the following for my first wet shave kit; this was cheaper and much better than buying a ready to go 'kit' from online stores...

Merkur Solingen 34C HD Razor

It was between this and the Edwin Jagger DE89 and Muhle R89. Ended up going with this because it supposedly gives a slightly more aggressive shave than the others. The general consensus is that the others are better built and finished but I wanted a stronger more aggressive razor for my tough beard and i liked it was a simple 2 piece design! I was contemplating the Merkur Progress or Futur (both adjustable for more aggressive shaves) but will upgrade to those if I like wet shaving.

Optimized-Merkur_34c_2.JPG

OMEGA pure badger shaving brush 63167

Bought this from the same seller of the Merkur 34c purely for convenience. You can spend up to $200 on a badger brush!!! This will do for now.

31TaoWUR-bL._SX450_.jpg

Shaveshed 55 blade sampler pack

Has a heap of different blades to try. Might be a little confusing but I have read various things about them so will be keen to give them a try. Feather blades are the sharpest apparently so will give them a go once I am comfortable with the shaving process.

sampler%20pack_2_o.jpg

Proraso Sensitve Shave Soap

pro_ss_sensitive_o.jpg

Taylors of Old Bond Street Sensitive Cream

taylor-sensitive-skin-shaving-cream-150g

I bought a soap and a cream just to try them out and see how they 'lather' up.

Col. Conk Styptic Pencil

To help with cuts and nicks.... reckon I'll use this a bit lol I already have an aftershave balm so will use that.

HR_426-003-00_col_conk_styptic_pencil.jp

So that's my kit, what do you reckon?

Can add more items (a lather bowl, preshave oil, proper stand etc) but that will do me for now.

Cant wait for all this stuff to arrive and give it crack!

Edited by SRS13

Personally I just shave with a Mach III Turbo. Have been using it since I can remember.

I shave my neck and sides of my face and maintain a 'thin' beard/stubble type look.

I use a Phillips trimmer and I've found it to be really good.

Easy to use and no problems in the 2 years that I've owned it.

I tried Wahl, I didn't like it because it didn't cut neatly.

^^^ holy f**king shit, suddenly being 'less of a man' and having f**k all beard is really not such a bad thing for me! bahahaha

Your lucky!

Mate I wish I didn't have to do this shit! Kills me!!!

• Like 1