SAU Community

Shaving And You.

NYTSKY

Just checked out Mensbiz, ill definitely be using them in the future. They have great stuff and prices are competitive to overseas stores.

19 year old baby-faced, non-frequent shaver checking in.

Welcome, from a fellow baby-faced once a week shaver (stubble trimmer, to be specific :P)....however I'm 25 next month LOL

used to be a once a week shaver. One month @ Kappoka changed that.....

Think I need a new saftey razor, at times when i shave the head becomes a little loose and I have to tighten again. Probably not the best thing if the blades are wobbling around

need to venture out of wasteland more. great thread.

currently using shick quattro from the jawline down. wahl trimmer for the rest. I find it best to jump out of the shower, dry off and get to shaving, especially because my facial hair has a whorl on my right cheek and every direction is against the grain lol.

19 year old baby-faced, non-frequent shaver checking in.

Welcome, from a fellow baby-faced once a week shaver (stubble trimmer, to be specific :P)....however I'm 25 next month LOL

Ma man! I shave once a week- fortnight depending on mood. By the end of the fort

Night, I'm just reaching the itchy stage. :P

Just using a Mach III at present but have always wanted a proper razor and didn't know where to start. This thread helps heaps. Thanks heaps for all the info everyone!

It's just your face man, you can grow another.

When your putting a blade to your face it just doesn't seem as easy as that lol

Go slow and don't push too hard lol

OK, gave it a crack yesterday. It's much harder than it looks!

I used the following;

• Merkur 34c
  • Astra Stainless Blade
  • Omega Badger Brush
  • Proraso Sensitive Shave Soap
  • Ceramic bowl for lather

The Merkur - I liked the look of it and it was pretty easy to load with the 2 piece design.The weight was good, not heavy and not light, felt well weighted. But its very short compared to the normal Gillette/Shick commercial stuff so it felt a little uncomfortable in the hand at first. I think it will take some time getting used to the small handle, especially after years of long handle use.

The Astra blades I cant really comment on as they were the first I tried. Not as sharp as I thought but my technique is crap so cant blame them just yet.

The soap - struggled to get a good lather using a bowl but probably not the soap but just me again. But the soap left my face feeling very dry afterwards and really had to use a balm to 'moisturise' it. I'll try the cream next as not keen on the dry feeling it left afterwards.

First impression of 'wet shaving' - its pretty hard! I knicked myself a fair bit (probably 3 or 4 bleed spots!) but my growth is very tough and combined with not the best lather and poor shaving technique it was bound to happen.

Now I realise why this isn't for everyone. Its a lot of effort to shave with so much to do and it feels like starting all over again. The technique is completely different to your Mach 3 shave and it takes longer.

But shaving now seems like more of a hobby now and almost fun as opposed to a chore and that is what I think makes this appeal to many people.

My wife laughed and me and said its a lot of effort for a shave when you have to do it all again very soon... hhmm. But I'll stick at it and get better!

I was the same first time around, couldnt get a good lather. I thought it was the cream but it was just my technique.

Now with the smallest amount of cream I can get a good lather which will last for 3 passes and then some. As you practise you will find your trouble areas and you will know how to change your style to get a good outcome.

My last shave was perfect and only took 5 mins :)

It will just take you a few goes to get used to it.

great report! =)

How do safety razors go with facial irregularities?

I have a fairly small mole type thing on my lip (think about pimple size thats ready to blow)

Would i be likely to take the top off every time i shave?

Cartridges seem pretty good at just flowing over the top of it with no drama.

Not sure on the mole thing but I guess a razor is a razor, if it doesnt cut with the normal stuff it shouldn't cut with the safety stuff either.

I'm getting a decent lather now that I have worked out what is too dry and too wet.

Also the blade makes a massive difference, the feather literally sliced me everywhere, where as the son of rajab was sharp enough to cut nicely but not tear your face off.

Bought some pre-shave oil from Somersets just to aid with the process. Seems to have helped a little.

Edited by SRS13