SAU Community

Shaving And You.

NYTSKY

lol fking Adam's apple, I have a really sharp Adam's apple and it's pretty much a magnet for cuts / razor burn. There's no easy way about it with the DE. Cartridge gets it fine though.

I've also started playing around with the adjustment of my Feather DE pole...I'm not sure how adjustable it's meant to be, but you can give it an aggressive setting by not tightening the blade as much. The blade feels flimsier, so have to do it carefully, however you can get a with the grain shave almost as close as against the grain.

Agree re: side pass. It's good, especially for cheeks...what bothers me though is knowing that if I do an against the grain after a side pas I'd still pick up a heap of grain lol

Nervously broke out the Dovo shavette last night for my first foray into cut throat shaving. Really thought I was going to walk away with a face full of blood, so decided to just stick with cheeks.

Well, after them, I thought I'd try the side of my neck...before I knew it, I had done the whole face. Seriously the most comfortable shave I've ever had! It may help that I spent half an hour doing it so as not to slice myself, but I think all my time with a DE safety had helped me transition to this, as aside from holding the handle completely differently, the same rules applied (angle + pressure). Not a single nick, just one or two red spots from against the grain strokes. This was also using just king of shaves kinesium oil and Gilette foam, no real shave soap or prep. Definitely sticking to the shavette, and touchwood it wasn't just beginners luck.

There's hope for me getting a traditional straight razor yet!

straight razors are fun to use.

I am still getting use to mine, mainly with my left hand. But with each shave I am nicking myself less and less.

will need to get a new shaving cream as my stuff from America is running low so i'll be on the hunt for some knew stuff.

Any recommendations?

Might be some good stuff on mensbiz?

I can't recommend anything as I haven't tried enough, I just go off the mensbiz reviews and buy stuff with a minimum 4 stars...that seems safe to me.

If you're talking off the shelf I always swear by Nivea's gel. Currently using Gilette Fusion gel and it's not bad.