SAU Community

Hids On An R33 S2

Hi All,

A few years ago when HIDs were first hitting the scene i held back on getting them put into my R33 S2. I did this mainly because i was concerned about reports they were overly obnoxious, due to the R33 S2's reflector headlight inclosure, to oncoming motorists and potentially even draw attention from the boys in blue. In that time i have had a few different types of normal H1's globes in the car, the latest being Phillips Diamond Vision 5k which whilst looking nice dont really provide much illumination. If its a little doggy or raining, my visibility is significantly impaired.

So here i am a few years down the track to suss out what my options are to improve the situation and if there is a better option...other than going back to yellow tinged lights..

Has there been any improvement with certain HIDs being better suited to the R33 S2 reflector enclosures? Are there workshops experienced fitting them and adjusting to minimise irritant to other motorists? Another option?

Thanks in advance!!

Just make sure you adjust the angle and pitch of the light using the screws on the back of the headlights.

Best way to do it is line up head on from a large wall, about 10 meters back and make sure they are aimed slightly to the left and keep them pointing about the same height as the bonnet.

Not sure where you're from but in VIC I am pretty sure they are illegal if not from factory (or at least I haven't passed a roadworthy with them in) but haven't had any issues from police with them.

I got the first generations when they came out about 6 years ago, one finally died a few months ago so I put in 8th generations now. Ballasts are about a quarter of the size but other then that same power, same colour.

HID kit in reflector headlights = forget it. Super glare-y, poor light distribution.

Most cost effective = HID retrofit. Also require the most effort. With the bulb, I wouldn't bother going over 5,000K as it's all wank/ricer after that. Stick with 4300K as you can actually see at night/when it rains. You will get the blue flicker because that is produced by the cut-off shield, plus the light will be whiter. I recommend 'F3' fast-start ballast as they are pretty good for the price ($200 for a kit off ebay, if you go H1 projectors).

If you want to just swap bulbs, try Narva Blue Power (or blue 90/whatever they're called now). Works well for what it is.

Throw relays and thicker wiring on there as well, it helps.

But seriously, OEM is obviously best (if you can get hold of them), then HID retrofit.

HID kit in reflector headlights = forget it. Super glare-y, poor light distribution.

Most cost effective = HID retrofit. Also require the most effort. With the bulb, I wouldn't bother going over 5,000K as it's all wank/ricer after that. Stick with 4300K as you can actually see at night/when it rains. You will get the blue flicker because that is produced by the cut-off shield, plus the light will be whiter. I recommend 'F3' fast-start ballast as they are pretty good for the price ($200 for a kit off ebay, if you go H1 projectors).

If you want to just swap bulbs, try Narva Blue Power (or blue 90/whatever they're called now). Works well for what it is.

Throw relays and thicker wiring on there as well, it helps.

But seriously, OEM is obviously best (if you can get hold of them), then HID retrofit.

Sorry you lost me mate... OEM what?

Does HID retrofit refer to just hooking up a HID kit or also somehow converting to projectors? I don't have patience nor the inclination to stuff around with anything electrical. Anything here will need to be done by a shop.

Rob a HID retro fit will cost you around $1000. I would just stick a good quality halogen in there.

I recently put some Ring Automotive 120% bulbs in my daily, has been the brightest halogen I have used and has a nice white light.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-RING-XENON-ULTIMA-H1-BULBS-120-BRIGHTER-FREE-LED-KEYRING-/350774662729?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item51abcc9649&_uhb=1

Rob a HID retro fit will cost you around $1000. I would just stick a good quality halogen in there.

I recently put some Ring Automotive 120% bulbs in my daily, has been the brightest halogen I have used and has a nice white light.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-RING-XENON-ULTIMA-H1-BULBS-120-BRIGHTER-FREE-LED-KEYRING-/350774662729?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item51abcc9649&_uhb=1

Thanks mate, I had checked those ones out before.. bright but the white is too warm for my liking. Might consider these or similar for high beams though.

Sorry you lost me mate... OEM what?

Does HID retrofit refer to just hooking up a HID kit or also somehow converting to projectors? I don't have patience nor the inclination to stuff around with anything electrical. Anything here will need to be done by a shop.

OEM i.e. factory R33 HID headlights (would be sweet to get the ballasts as well).

Retrofit = taking apart your lights, putting HID projectors, putting them back together. Costed me about $500 all up including buying R32 headlights and ballasts+bulbs.

Like I said, try looking for factory HID headlights and get them installed. Literally bolt on for instant awesome lights.

Haven't seen that listing before. I got this one:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/4300K-35w-Rapid-Start-Slim-Digital-HID-Kit-OEM-White-XE-Instant-On-Ballast-Fast-/400289514421

OEM i.e. factory R33 HID headlights (would be sweet to get the ballasts as well).

Retrofit = taking apart your lights, putting HID projectors, putting them back together. Costed me about $500 all up including buying R32 headlights and ballasts+bulbs.

Like I said, try looking for factory HID headlights and get them installed. Literally bolt on for instant awesome lights.

I have a S2, I think when I checked that out a few years ago it was a bit of a no go option as they clash the S2 bonnet, front bar, sides etc.

So it sounds like there are 2 HID options.... throw in any old HID KID and god knows how average they will splash the beam out. Or do some sort of retrofit of my existing lights to get projectors inside the enclosure, then put HID kit in.. sounds like id be pushing shit up hill finding a shop to do that.

I don't know much about the differences between the R33 series, I just know the S3 have HIDs.

Retrofit is well worth the effort. You will not believe the difference in light output until you see it yourself. You can get the Morimoto H3 projector, which are pretty easy to install compared to other options.

I've been through all this crap, buying different bulbs, HID kits and eventually doing the retrofit. R32 projectors are shithouse, worse than my R31 ones, so I was on a mission to get a setup that enabled me to see at night/during rain.

You can get a cheap kit off ebay, throw them on and drive around thinking you have better lights. Stop at a set of traffic lights, have a factory HID equipped car stop beside you and you'll see the difference.

If you don't want to modify, throw those blue plus 90 bulbs in. I found they do a pretty good job, put them in an N16 and N15 Pulsar (factory wires).

The N16 headlights (H1) 'responded' better to the bulbs as they have a better design than N15 (H4). I expect the R33 to have a design as good as the N16 as they both run separate low and high beams.

I'm not bothered about modifying. If there is a good way to retrofit HID and get a quality outcome that sounds like exactly what i'm after, but I am flat out not interested in meddling with it myself. It sounds like it is possible but perhaps not practical without me doing it myself, which aint happening.

Might just get over it and go for easy practicality... powerbulbs.com have a 20% off site wide this weekend so might just replace my low beam, high beam, and foggies all with osram nightbreaker plus. Not what i wanted but maybe it'll grow on me.

I have two spare pairs of R32 lights which I'll retrofit eventually... Maybe I should branch out onto R33s lol.

20% off is pretty good. The Osrams look to be pretty similar to the Narva blue plus 90, but about $10-20 cheaper delivered lol. I had LED parkers come in about a week from them so pretty good. Grab some Orsam 4000K parkers, you won't be disappointed with them.

Ihave HID high and low beam both 4300k, just went a more expensive rapid start kit for the high beams. Miles better visibility then halogen globes. So it can be done and does work

Dont really get flashed either. Have them setup pretty well but

I have two spare pairs of R32 lights which I'll retrofit eventually... Maybe I should branch out onto R33s lol.

20% off is pretty good. The Osrams look to be pretty similar to the Narva blue plus 90, but about $10-20 cheaper delivered lol. I had LED parkers come in about a week from them so pretty good. Grab some Orsam 4000K parkers, you won't be disappointed with them.

Mate if you branch out doing proper R33 HID retrofits i'll be your first buyer haha.

I ended up buying Osram nightbreakers for high beam, low beam, and fog lights. I got the 4000k Osram LED parkers too. Good site that powerbulbs.com 12 month warranty and customer service by all reports is very good. When I get these all in i'll be beaming out light the colour of the sun I reckon.... huge farking adjustment that will be.

They will be an improvement over standard and blue-tinted bulbs, but don't expect too much out of them, I've been there done that a few times haha. Still, am improvement is an improvement, and I found non-H4 reflectors respond better to better bulbs.

Ihave HID high and low beam both 4300k, just went a more expensive rapid start kit for the high beams. Miles better visibility then halogen globes. So it can be done and does work

Dont really get flashed either. Have them setup pretty well but

Yes HID is heaps heaps brighter and you can point the lights down so it isn't causing too much glare, but put it up against a factory or retrofitted HID light and the difference is huge.

How long does it take to fire up?

I've been using this:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/4300K-35w-Rapid-Start-Slim-Digital-HID-Kit-OEM-White-XE-Instant-On-Ballast-Fast-/400289514421

Quickest firing so far. Get ~70% light as soon as it's fired up and 30 seconds later the bulb is warm. I'm using Philips D2S bulbs and they take longer (need a heftier ballast i.e. OEM) to warm up compared to what came with the kit (10-15 seconds bulb is full warm, pretty impressive).

Really hesitant about running HID's - obviously due to being defected, but I cant imagine the light spread is any good at all without a proper retrofit.

Could either or both of you post pics of the light output of your set ups? Keen to see how they look.