SAU Community

Need R32 Gtr Diff Flange / Half Shaft / Stub Axle Help

Hey guys hope all is good, just helping someone might be able to help me out with the R32 GTR diff setup for my 180sx. If anyone has anything they could add I'd really appreciate it as I'm a little lost!

I've bought what I believe to be an (n/a) R34 GT housing with a BNR32 Nismo 2 way LSD center, some BNR32 axles and BNR32 hubs. The part I am struggling with is the stub axles / diff flange.

The diff came with what the seller believed to be matching R32 GTR stub axles to suit the R32 GTR Nismo center he had installed in the diff, however when I went to knock the stub axles into the diff I realized that the stub axles were way too small for the center.

I started searching around online trying to work out what my stub axles are and what the ones I need for my diff look like, but can't find anything conclusive. Are there two kinds of 32 GTR stub axle?

Here are some pics:

My diff:

IMG_4013_zps64425de6.jpg

close up:

IMG_4012_zpseacfac26.jpg

side:

IMG_4014_zpsf69d6aaa.jpg

The stub axles that came with the diff, are these BNR32?

IMG_4015_zps7b5d25dd.jpg

The supposed BNR32 stub axles alongside some regular 5 bolt R200 stubs. The diameter looks the same, which seems wrong? You'd think 32 GTR stubs would be thicker, and that would make sense as to why these ones are too small for my diff.

IMG_4016_zps4e1004dc.jpg[/url]

Looking at potential stub axles for sale in Japan, there appear to be two types of axles advertised as BNR 32 rear:

http://page2.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/b142371784

http://page19.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/x269447920

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks
Jack.

Edited by best guy

Sorry to keep posting in this thread, just super motivated to sort this out right now so I've been messing around a little more

Here's a photo of the inside of my supposed BNR32 nismo 2 way, which I just counted as needing a 31 spline half shaft.

I thought that BNR32 half shafts were 30 spline? What on earth do I have? haha

IMG_4020_zps3fb25924.jpg

Apologies for posting again, maybe these ongoing updates will help someone else who ends up in this situation.

It looks like my diff is a Nismo LSD, and it seems that Nismo LSDs require their own supplied Nismo half shafts.

Problem is that it looks like there are a few different Nismo LSDs: GT LSD, Pro & Carbon. I need to work out which of these my center is so that I can work out which half shafts I need? Can anyone tell me anything by looking at the pictures in my first post?

http://www.nismo.co.jp/en/products/competition/lsd/pdf/repair04.pdf

Thanks!

It's worse than that because Nismo also had the TT type which they've discontinued.

Having said that....I would have thought that Nismo would have used the same half shafts for all their centres.

Edited by GTSBoy

R32 GTS-4 stub axles look very similar (same ATTESSA rings) to GT-R stub axles but are a different size shaft to fit the GTS-4's VLSD rather than the GT-R's plated diff. Could it be that you have some of those ?

Cheers

Stu

• 3 weeks later...

Ok guys here's a running update. It looks like I need to get 31 spline, 32mm OD side shafts from Nismo to match this center. I've got Jesse checking stock now. I'll keep this updated for anyone who runs into the same problem in future

Oh and if you need larger splines than the gtr, here is the part numbers from Nissan. cost is about $250 usd each? I forget

38220-12U00(right) and 38220-12U01(left).

do you know the specs on these? I.e how many splines and what diameter?

Ok running update, just in case someone has the same problem and finds this thread

Nismo have got back to me and confirmed that the side flanges I need are indeed factory Nissan items.

I'm trying to find out from Nissan now how many splines or what OD the side flanges that nismoStune above mentioned are (38220-12U00(right) and 38220-12U01(left).), hoping these are what I need!

OK so Nismo can't help with specific part numbers which correlate to those diffs, unlucky.

More research suggests that Z33 350Z side flanges are 32mm OD with 31 spline.

Does anyone know how many spline R33 GTR side flanges are? Or have one they could measure/count for me?

Just got off the phone with my mate at a wrecking yard who yanked apart an BCNR33 (non v spec) diff for me and confirmed that they have 31 spline, 32mm splines on the side flanges.

I've ordered a pair of BCNR33 side flanges from Japan. Will update this once they arrive. So far it's looking like R33 GTR stubs were the match for this Nismo R32 GTR center

• 2 weeks later...

Ok just to put a nail in this and explain for anyone who finds this thread in future. The solution ended up being regular R33 GTR stub axles, which are a perfect fit for both the Nismo 2 way and the BNR32 driveshafts I have purchased.

Thanks!

• 3 months later...
  • 6 years later...