SAU Community

Drag Tyres

Adz2332

Hey all

What do you guys recommend as drag tyres.

Now these will be for a track car so no need to worry about the road.

R33 gtst.

Im looking to have a set for drag only.

Also what sizes work? 16s? 17s? 18s? Etc then widths? As I have to get some rims also

If running a full drag slick, you need to run cross-ply tyres up front as well or "front runners" as most call them.

Do some Googling on the topic, its essentially to make sure you don't end up in a wall :)

^What he said.

If you run a full slick tyre on the rear you have to run a narrow tyre on the front. Have a look at front runners on the Mickey Thompson page and have a flick through the ANDRA rules too.

I want to grab some sticky tyres for the drags only, wont be running it often, just want to get a decent MPH and time and then focus back on trackwork..... What sort of lifespan does a MT Street have at the drags? I assume they have a pretty quick wear rate? Where is Mr NytDave? :D

Depends how hard you shred them doing burnouts. They can last quite (40+ passes/burnout) a while even with street driving (few 1,000 of KM).

Like any tyre, it's how hard they get treated :)

Sweet, Thanks Ash!

I assume they dont need a huge burnout to get them sticky... :rolleyes: Ill leave skids to Texi days like on the weekend haha

A set of ET Streets would probably last you a year's worth of drag racing if you were racing monthly. Just so long as you don't sit there frying tyres every run which is not needed.

There isn't really a limit on how small you can go but I probably wouldn't go any smaller than a 15.

If you're running 15's or 16's with guard work you should be able to fit a set of 275's under there.

A mate of mine runs 15" 275's under the rear of his S14 which last time he ran it had around 430rwkw and was good for a low 10 and 145 or so mph.

I run 255s MT on 16x 8 with no issues just can't have it sitting too low- which you wouldn't want to anyway.

I just run standard wheels on the front and jt drives fine as long as you have good pressure JB the rears otherwise its a little uncomfortable.

Won't last if you bake them every time before you launch