SAU Community

Drag Tyres

Adz2332

I have 300ZX rims and the 255's that we use on the S14 and they are pretty damned decent.

One thing they do need is a really good burnout for the first run but after that they really only need to have the water taken off them and they will work pretty well. Start at about 18psi and drop a little each time till you find the sweet spot for your car

Given cars all round the world are running massive numbers on them i dont think our little street cars really need much more ;)

• 1 year later...

Hey all

Im tossing up weather to go the full drag MTs or the ETs still.....

Have bought a set of convo 15 inch rims.

what are 33 series 2 axles / drive shafts like? power rated etc?

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I see...

Ive been hearing you cant (or shouldnt) run the ET Street radials with a manual, is it because they dont have any flex in the sidewall to hook up better or? which is what is making me lean toward a non radial drag tyre

even on the micky thompson website it says recommended for automatic use... but im sure a 255 16 et street radial WILL hook up no doubt

ill be ordering a pair in from vpw soon

• 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...

apologies for pulling up an old thread, thinking about getting 2 second hand rims for the rear and putting some drag radials on my R33 GTST.

They need to be legal for the drive to and from the track then swapped to other wheels/tyres for normal street duty.

There seems to be way more sizes available (at least in the Mickey Thompson range) for 15" compared to 16".

Will a 15" rim fit over the standard rear brake/calipers on a R33 GTST?

The MT site shows a minimum rim width of 7", recommended 7.5", and max 9" for the 255/60R15.

Is there an OEM rim I can look for 2nd hand that fits the R33 GTST in a 15x7 or 15x7.5?

cheers

Mike

1 hour ago, mikel said:

apologies for pulling up an old thread, thinking about getting 2 second hand rims for the rear and putting some drag radials on my R33 GTST.

They need to be legal for the drive to and from the track then swapped to other wheels/tyres for normal street duty.

There seems to be way more sizes available (at least in the Mickey Thompson range) for 15" compared to 16".

Will a 15" rim fit over the standard rear brake/calipers on a R33 GTST?

The MT site shows a minimum rim width of 7", recommended 7.5", and max 9" for the 255/60R15.

Is there an OEM rim I can look for 2nd hand that fits the R33 GTST in a 15x7 or 15x7.5?

cheers

Mike

some 300ZX or 32 GTR rims will work fine ;)

If you were in Sydney i could have sold you a pair of ET Streets but if my memory serves me correctly they only have about 3mm of tread when new so a couple of runs and they are pretty much done as street tyres.

On 27/05/2019 at 9:22 PM, ido09s said:

If you were in Sydney i could have sold you a pair of ET Streets but if my memory serves me correctly they only have about 3mm of tread when new so a couple of runs and they are pretty much done as street tyres.

so not suited to driving to the track and back other than maybe the first time of use from new?...

On 27/05/2019 at 9:22 PM, ido09s said:

some 300ZX or 32 GTR rims will work fine ;)

was curious if there were OEM 15" rims people were using?

These are the ones I have (link below) and you tell me what the cops are likely to do if they see you using them? Its not exactly a conventional tread pattern is it lol They are DOT approved and we don't have a DOT, its an American thing. Like I said, I believe they have 3mm or so of tread from brand new which is the minimum tread depth that any road going tyre needs to have to be legal

https://www.mickeythompsontires.com/drag-tires/et-street-r#sizes

2 hours ago, ido09s said:

These are the ones I have (link below) and you tell me what the cops are likely to do if they see you using them? Its not exactly a conventional tread pattern is it lol They are DOT approved and we don't have a DOT, its an American thing. Like I said, I believe they have 3mm or so of tread from brand new which is the minimum tread depth that any road going tyre needs to have to be legal

https://www.mickeythompsontires.com/drag-tires/et-street-r#sizes

images (3).jpeg

yeah well, everyone whinges and bitches that they get busted driving their cars and what can I say.... for the reasons above ET Streets aren't really a 100% legal street tyre

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...