SAU Community

Eoi - C34 Towbars In Melb

Cowboy1600

There are a lot of C34 owners looking for towbars so I figured a group buy might be somewhat useful.

This is an EOI at this stage. I've spoke to Locsed in Ringwood and there is a good saving in it if we were to get a few made up in one hit.

The process would be that I will donate my car to him for a couple of days from which he will make a jig. From there he can bang out towbars as required. However to do this he needs to know there will be a few more bought to make the effort of making the jig worthwhile so we need a few more. I won't be getting a deal on mine beyond what he's able to offer everyone else so there's nothing in it for me to be the first one up and essentially the one he will base the jig off.

To get a one off made Des at Locsed quoted me $770 to do one for my C34. If we can get 5 people together (including me) he said he'll be able to do them for $550 as a ballpark (possibly cheaper if anything) so that's a hefty saving. Des will be fitting the towbars so be prepared to leave your car with him in Ringwood for the day. Personally I'll be driving mine over in the morning, leaving it there at 8am and hopping a train to the city to work and then back out the following day to pick it up. It may be that he wants a number of cars on a particular day so he can do them side by side so be prepared to have your car to him on a specified weekday.

What I know about the product is limited. A couple of forumers have had him make them a towbar and the feedback thus far has been positive (if any of them are reading this and wish to chime in, that'd be grand). I believe rating is in the vicinity of 2000kgs, but bank on 1500kgs. If that is not sufficient for you needs then you're driving the wrong car :)These won't be "plated". It's on your shoulders as to whether or not that is acceptable to you.

Payment would be directly to Locsed, not through me. However I may agree to take a non-refundable deposit on their behalf to ensure that people who say they are in are indeed in. The deposit will be given, in full, to Locsed so if you don't go ahead then they get to keep it as a bonus for their work. Emphasis on non-refundable as there are costs for Locsed in doing this so it's wrong to potentially leave them high and dry because people pull out.

I will give people until June 30 to let me know if they are willing to join in.

Once June 30 hits, I will contact Des with a final number and nail down the logistics. To reiterate, you may be required to have your car in his workshop in Ringwood on a specified date. If your average day does not allow that kind of flexibility then please think twice about this. Then again, this may not be the case. I will work out these details once/if the GB is confirmed as a goer.

So in short:

$550ish (price TBC) for a towbar unofficially rated at 1500+kgs for a C34.

Need to be able to leave your car in Ringwood for a day - possibly on a specific date not to your choosing.

Product not well known but a few people here have them and seem positive about what they bought.

Some feedback on Locsed can be found here - http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/topic/395463-towbar-in-melbourne/page-3

One thing I still need to clarify is any differences between manual and auto bodies. I don't believe there are any differences at the back apart from the rear cradle which should have no bearing on fitting.

One final thing is some cutting and drilling is necessary to fit a towbar. You're rear bumper will likely need a square cut out as part of the fitting process. Des will do this and again does a good job from all accounts. Holes will need to be drilled in your boot floor and some plating added for strength. If you do not wish to trust this type of work to Locsed, then this GB is not for you.

I think that's all that is required and I can tell at the moment. If I have missed any vital details, please let me know.

Also, there's nothing in this for me beyond getting a price as good as everyone else (~$550). I'm not getting a kickback of any type for this GB.

Also, will that price include a removable square tongue?

Ditto.

I have the cart somewhat before the horse here - won't actually pick my car up until next week!

Might need another week to get locked-in & finances squared-up, but I 100% need a towbar, so consider me in +1week.

So we have five in total:

Cowboy

Down_shift

infiltrator

hardman

Steve.b

Any others?

Bueller, Bueller

That's enough to get this underway. I will get in touch with Locsed and start organising things. Anyone else who wants in will simply be able to call and arrange a bar themselves as the jig will already be made.

That's enough to get this underway. I will get in touch with Locsed and start organising things. Anyone else who wants in will simply be able to call and arrange a bar themselves as the jig will already be made.

Can you ask - if Locsed can get it Engineer certified for a Max Braked Tow capacity ? (2000kg? 1800kg?)

Between 5 of us, cost should be reasonable.

Might be worth it, You know - with the legals & what-not.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is still happening.

I've been flat out at work the past fortnight and this was put on the back burner. I called Des the other day to arrange the jig making but he was out on the road and I didn't get the chance to call him back.

I will be calling him on Monday to finalise arrangements.

Once it's sorted I'll post them up.

Details finalised:

• removable square tongue
  • includes tow ball
  • your choice of plug (round or square)
  • with sticker - ie. will be engineered
  • rated for ~2,000kg but he couldn't remember exactly off the top of his head.

$550 drive in drive out and you can book a time that suits (absolute final price TBC but he's fairly sure it'll be around $550).

I will be dropping my car off on the morning of August 8 and he will have it for two days. Once I have it back I'll let you all know and you can contact Des to book in a time to have yours done.

This represents a $200 saving over one offs. Having at least three of us good to go means it's worth his while to make the jig which in turn means he can do them cheaper going forward so even if you don't get one in the next month or so, you will be able to get one off him any time in the future.

So Locsed Products in Ringwood is now THE place to go to get a tow bar for an S2 C34 (and possibly S1 but I'm not sure of the floor pan differences).

• Like 1