SAU Community

Tidying Up V36 Interior Trim Pieces

Hi gents,

As most V36 owners will know, the spokes on the steering wheel wear and scratch easily, as do the door grab handles that house the power windows. My question is, how have you fixed them? I have a customer keen to get them fixed before he sells his car.

Cheers

Kristian

• Like 1

I replaced the door handle trim with some new peices out of the US. The price is rediculous for what they are but they are now the brushed aluminium look which suits a lot better.

I have also seen dozens of pictures of peoples scratched up steering wheel controls but honestly dont understand how that happens. I now have 41,000km on mine and they dont have a single scratch on them???

I replaced the door handle trim with some new peices out of the US. The price is rediculous for what they are but they are now the brushed aluminium look which suits a lot better.

Just wondering which door trim pieces you got? Assume you got 'Infiniti' pieces from the US. Did you have any issues with the left-hand vs. right-hand drive thing?? Not sure what the story is with the coupe but my understanding is these parts on the sedan are different from lhd to rhd.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-OEM-INFINITI-G37-COUPE-DOOR-GRIP-CAPS-LEFT-RIGHT-UPGRADE-/171062104948?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27d4189374&_uhb=1

I bought them back when the AUD was at about 1.10 USD. At today's exchange rate the price for two pieces of plastic looks even stupider!

That being said, they do look ten times better than the originals. Mine only really had a couple of scratches on them anyway but I knew that they would be screwed eventually and these look way better.

Damn, was hoping someone was going to have A solution for the scratched up steering wheels...

Seen that there are Infiniti trim kits on eBay, but they all have the hole for the cruise controls...

I'm talking about the trim around the window switches, not that one. Ended up pulling them out and painting them,

Sorry got confused by your original comment "door grab handles that house the power windows". I probably just didn't read the rest of the sentence.

Painting them would probably have been pretty easy. Still not sure how people manage to scratch the crap out of everything so easily? Guess I'm just not 'baller' enough and only wear one ring.

IC33170.jpg

I have a BRAND new in box steering wheel trim piece (the one that wears around the volume controls) I paid good money for it too.

Sold my car and no longer need it. If anyone is interested PM me an offer.

I have a BRAND new in box steering wheel trim piece (the one that wears around the volume controls) I paid good money for it too.

Sold my car and no longer need it. If anyone is interested PM me an offer.

how much are you after for the trim? and is it from the US or japan?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I know I'm bringing this one back from the dead a bit but I noticed it while searching for something else. I am sure that while searching MYG37.com before I purchased one that these was a simple fix for the steering wheel surround. The 'Series 1' style surround is a plastic coated with a rubberised type of paint, similar to the Series 1 R33 dash panel. Apparently it scratched fairly easily. I have a few very small scratches on mine near the volume buttons, possibly from rings on someones fingers or finger nails etc. Anyway it sounds like the 'Series 2' surrounds are different, probably due to complaints. It sounded like they weren't using the same coating, ie maybe it it all plastic or proper paint etc. I don't seem to have written down a part number but look for the steering wheel surround from 2009+ and it should be it.

I just had a look and I could only see the Tech package ones from the USA which have the openings for buttons on both sides so they may not suit our version unless you get the extra buttons. Oh, the USA one's will have the extra hole for phone etc on the wrong side. Maybe someone can get a part number for this bezel/trim for the Nissan/Infiniti 2009+?

I thought you would probably have something Chris :)

Just to clarify that is a newer style one that doesn't scratch as easily as the 1st type with the additional holes for cruise? I take it there is no newer version with just the cutouts just on one side for volume and navi/phone etc?

I don't have cruise in mine. There is possibly a thread on it so I'll probably be blasted for not searching. It's not as simple as just hooking up the buttons and cruise is active is it? I know that sounds a little silly but wasn't sure if drive by wire throttle bodies just needed the buttons hooked up to make it work? There might be a separate control module that needs hooking up? If it needs more than that, do you recommend anywhere in VIC for installation?