SAU Community

Bnr32 -=Gtr=- ... Front Strut Brace.. The Importance?

Hi guys,

I been doing some research and I figured that i should get a front brace,

My car power and what its sitting on in breif---

Power (Conservative_330awkw)

Slight camber

18x10 On 265 tyres

But before i make my move, I just want to ask is there a real difference in $60-$100 (steel or Alloy) compare to $100-200 (steel or alloy)

I am thinking to myself what can a 200 brace do that a 70 brace cant.. i think this is just one of those things that cost more because of the brand ONLY..

Whats your thoughtss???.. I dont really have a clue about these type of things

Edited by GTRAAH

You just gotta like the look of it and it fits. Paying more or less is a furphy, in most instances.

You can get a 2nd hand named brand like Cusco for $100 or less.

-> Yes there is structural integrity, strength, design, adjustable etc to consider.

Edit.

I had a Cusco strut brace and it did the job. I liked the HKS Kansai which also does the job and looks great.

$100 v $550.

Edited by Sinista32

^^^ LOL :) I seriously recon if it doesn't brake then anything will do, its only to make it rigid.. I mean i read about what it does and seems like anything that will hold , will do the job

What do you think about this one?

http://justjap.com/store/product.php?productid=16630&cat=394&page=1

I like the look matched the colours and this shoulld be a perfect fit... And to top it off Awesome cheap for a brand new product

Edited by GTRAAH

Whats that LOL please show me pics or links :)

SHould I get rear strut brace aswell? If so where would it sit? Boot? Waste of room that is, my Sub is in there

Edited by GTRAAH

If Skylines had struts then they would need strut braces. But they do not have struts. The upper suspension arms are bolted to the chassis much lower down than the top of the suspension towers, and as such there is much less effect of teh movement of the tower tops on suspension angles.

Sure, adding a brace may stiffen the front of the car up a little bit, but the amount of benefit available from it is much much smaller than it is on a car with Mac struts.

Furthermore, strut braces that have pivoting joints at the ends and do not triangulate to the firewall are not really what you would call a quality engineering design. What you end up with is a parallelogram (actually, it's probably a trapezoid). The top is the brace, the bottom is the subframe and the sides are the strut towers. Any shape with 4 sides has very little resistance to deformation. Without a diagonal or two, you can easily push one side about relative to the opposite side. Sure, putting the brace in at least closes the square so that the top two corners have to move together, but they still move. Triangulation is the key to good stiffness, and strut braces generally DO NOT OFFER ANY.

PLUS....any bar that has bends near the ends so that it can clear up over the engine is going to need to be made out of something really stiff so that it doesn't just deform itself as the loads are put into its ends. As such, the little alloy round and oval cross section ones are probably toys compared to the big multi member and multichamber extruded ones.

I guess its preference why some ppl have them and some dont. Must do something positive the the N1 come stock with them ....

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ULTRA-RACING-1-PIECE-STEEL-REAR-STRUT-TOWER-BAR-BRACE-89-91-NISSAN-SKYLINE-R32-/160983771496?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item257b616968&_uhb=1

Heres an explanation I found easy to understand if you scroll down before/after Its not much but for track enthusiasts will help.. I would like to hear if people have really felt any difference with them in or out

Of course people feel difference with them. Even if there is no difference you will always "feel" a difference to provide you with a warm glow so you don't think you wasted your money.

I have no doubt that a lot of body wobble and so on is removed from running one. I just maintain that on a car where the position of the upper suspension mounts is not really affected by how much the top of the towers can wander around, there can be little real effect on the REAL handling of the car.

The situation would be doubly more so at the rear of the car, where all of the suspension is completely separate from the body, yet people still want to fit strut bars back there. And, yes, Nissan did also put them there. But I can bet you that they only did it because the market expected it. And if the body wobble is decreased, it does add to the feeling that it does something for the handling, even if it doesn't.

I have a nismo strut brace, not the rare titanium one.. (I wish)

But just wondering if these are any good.. I am currently pushing a massive 171kw -_-

So, why exactly do you think you need a strut brace? Do you have the best / optimum springs? Do you have the best / optimum shock absorbers? Do you have the best / optimum anti-roll bars? Have you got the best / optimum weight balance / distribution on the chassis? Are you chasing the last 1000th of a second lap time on the race track?

A strut brace should be the very last thing you want / need to improve the handling of you car.

(That said, yes I have a strut brace fitted to my 32 GTS4. But I doubt I could tell the difference if I removed it)

i've bent those rectangle cusco style braces by hand before, cheap steel braces will work well long as its tubular/ braced.

my n*power brace works, i can tell the difference with out it ( ceffy ) although the bracket where the billet pipe bolts on has lil bit of flex

also dont see why every one thinks they need a brace just because they have more power then factory?

it stiffens up the front chassis for better cornering...

Edited by Dan_J

i've bent those rectangle cusco style braces by hand before, cheap steel braces will work well long as its tubular/ braced.

my n*power brace works, i can tell the difference with out it ( ceffy ) although the bracket where the billet pipe bolts on has lil bit of flex

also dont see why every one thinks they need a brace just because they have more power then factory?

it stiffens up the front chassis for better cornering...

Cefiro has struts, no? S chassis cars also have struts. Skylines do not.

ferfuxaske.

Paul, I have done already! :) Control arms are practically levelled out now , I had to raise it Because I have 18s X10 running :) But the car looks nice height still, its an illusion but because of the larger rims. Looks perfect!!

Anyways...ppl

I just thought its better for your car not to twist in places it shouldn't thats pretty much why i asked.. Its more for pretecting the chassis, every little bit helps id think... Its not like im going to spend thousands, its not expensive and even if $100 is going to do a tiny bit off difference I might aswell..

Afterall isn't it better for your chassis not to twist, even slightly ? So years in bit of twisting here and there couldn't be that good for the chassis.

Edited by GTRAAH

Cefiro has struts, no? S chassis cars also have struts. Skylines do not.

ferfuxaske.

i know this, thats why i stated ceffy not to confuse those although the front r32 uprights do bolt up to the strut tower walls so go figure.