SAU Community

Why Is This Evo V Registered Wrong

starwarz

Hi guys i come again with a problem, im looking at this Evo 5 on the weekend did the usual Registration and

History Check, Its a EVO V GSR and its registered as a 2010 WHITE MITSUBISHI LANCER CS SERIES SEDAN.

The details for the vehicle you entered are displayed below.

• Date of manufacture: August 2010
  • Date first registered in NSW: October 2011
  • Tare weight: 1400 kg
  • Gross vehicle mass

My last R34 coupe was listed as a sedan didn't really think to much of it, but

this is an entirely different year, model. What the hell is going on, educate me pls.

Thanks.

During the tech night at JLM, apparently they no longer go off the build date on the plate. All imports are now to be registered to the year that it was imported in.

So if you go and import a R34 today, the build year would be 2013 (sweet!). Judging by that, it was imported 3 years ago, would have sat in a yard for a few months, then to dealership for a few months before it was bought for the first time, in Australia.

Those who also attended the JLM tech night about importing, if I'm wrong, please correct.

I see, i think its stupidity and confusing but im guessing it would be to complicated/expensive for them to do it properly for imported cars, probally

just following a general template and cant be bothered modifying it for imports. I dont even know what a CS lancer is lol. On another note that seems

like a long wait between it being shipped here and then being sold, might have been months before they got around to compliance.

Edited by starwarz

No that's not correct, imported cars are registered as the year that they're built, not the year they're complied. Either there has been an epic stuff up at the RTA or that, dear friends, is a rebirth.

For a short time (about 10 years ago), there was a loophole in the import regs that allowed whole cars to be imported as wrecks then cars here could be re-shelled semi-legally, but I've only ever seen examples of these cars registered in Vic. The importer responsible clocked up fines somewhere in the six figures for what he did. The duped owners were allowed to keep their cars registered in Vic, but they can't be registered elsewhere.

I would be steering WELL clear.

Seriously hate buying cars, especially when i have to deal with stuff like this. Last thing

i want is a rebirth but how would they allow a rebirth to be registered ? i thought that was

illegal.

Edited by starwarz

I let the owner know my concerns, he has sent me via email copies of all the import, compliance and rego papers car seems very legit

considering most of these documents you would be hard pressed to come upon, seems to me its the incompetance on the side of the RTA thats caused this fuss.

All thats left is to inspect it and hopefully buy and get this car hunt over with.

Edited by starwarz

I let the owner know my concerns, he has sent me via email copies of all the import, compliance and rego papers car seems very legit

considering most of these documents you would be hard pressed to come upon, seems to me its the incompetance on the side of the RTA thats caused this fuss.

All thats left is to inspect it and hopefully buy and get this car hunt over with.

At least that sounds like you've made some progress as the reason behind that.

Hopefully smooth run from here.

Sounds ilke a rebirth more than anything, does it have an import sticker?

The car was imported by http://glamgroups.com.au/ i have the import approval letter

given to Glamgroups under the vehicle standards act 1989, which authorised the import of the

evo v the car and vin is on that letter and is signed, then i have the compliance work sheet etc.

The company seems like a legit business and is ISO certified (meaning they need to be audited

if they apply for contiuing ISO certifiction, the last thing a dodgy business does is seek ISO certification lol) ,

i will also be checking import stickers and the rest on saturday, but im sure so far this car is legit, its got the legal document.

Edited by starwarz