SAU Community

Chris's R34 Gtt 4 Door Diary

• 6 months later...

IMG_1490842474.074990.jpg IMG_1490842492.917757.jpg

Fresh set of Intima SR pads on thanks to johnny at trak-life and a set of DBA's on thanks to V28VX37

Had the rotors machined to be sure, installation wise everything went to plan and I don't have any shudder etc

Still on the initial bed in phase but by the weekend I'm sure I'll get a good idea of what to expect. So far they are very solid

Still rate the Intima SS pads, keen to draw a comparison once they've been on for a while

• Like 2

14 hours ago, V28VX37 said:

^^^ Awesome, looking great Chris!! Did you check for runout & oscillation using a dial indicator when installing? I'm a convert now

Not with a proper gauge nah, but i was very fussy cleaning up the hub and the back of the rotor. The right front in particular I was getting quite a bit of brake shudder from and it turned out there was quite a bit of gunk between the hub and the rotor

once they were installed and I had the caliper back on, i put the wheel nuts on and spun the rotors whilst feeling by hand for any obvious runout - not entirely scientific but about all I was able to do. Both felt very square so I continued with installing the pads and bleeding etc

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

Well not much going on with the bus apart from driving it [emoji1]

Pulled apart the drivers side door yesterday as the motor stopped working for the power window

Cleaned everything, and pulled the motor out and cleaned it with electrical contact cleaner. It was filthy!

Anyhow, the window works! I'll keep an eye out for a new motor however as the brushes were pretty well worn out

• 1 month later...

200,000 kms now

Going strong! Full service done, new belts, idler bearings etc

Chucked a lower seat in it, I fit with a helmet now! Track days next year

Nismo twin plate clutch waiting to go in, can’t fault the NPC in it though. Over 100,000kms, most at 250+kw and it’s hanging in there

Must have been through 15 sets of rear tyres now too in that time!

Snapped this pic the other day, still scrubs up good

IMG_5097.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

New clutch is in

Few dramas but all good in the end. Dropped the car off for what I thought would be a half day job to swap the clutch over

In the process of dropping the gear box it was noticed that the clutch in my car was a push type, and I’d bought and rebuilt a pull type clutch

Ended up sourcing all the parts needed to convert it back to the original pull type

Clutch installed, but it wouldn’t disengage properly- turns out the pedal box had cracked and was flexing. Once this was pulled out and welded up it all worked fine!

Specs - Nismo Gmax twin plate, new Nismo friction plates from RHDJAPAN

Thanks to Boostworx for the installation, they’ve done a good job! And to 1110 Engineering for the required gearbox parts

Also did the diff bushes as these had worn out and the diff was clunking about

Also managed to find my favourite gear knob so that finished off my Christmas present

IMG_4948.jpgIMG_4949.jpgIMG_4950.jpgIMG_4953.jpgIMG_4957.jpgIMG_4960.jpgIMG_5063.jpg
IMG_5182.jpg

IMG_5182.jpg

For those looking at buying a second hand twin plate clutch, you can determine how much life is left in it by the gap between the clutch basket and pressure plate/cover plate

You can see the difference between the new and used friction plate thickness and the gap it creates

This gap is closed up when you do up the bolts on the pressure plate

I measured the friction plate thickness, and although they were still in spec the small gap that was present between the pressure plate and the basket lead me to think that there wasn’t much life left and the clamping pressure wouldn’t be enough to risk installing it and finding out it was worn out

You can see the extra space between the basket and the pressure plate, and also the extra space between the flywheel and the spacer plate between the two friction plates

IMG_5252.jpgIMG_5253.jpg

• 1 year later...

Long overdue for an update!

Injectors twice, and new Suspension as of October 2019

Back in May I decided to swap the injectors out for a bit of safety margin. After some research, I settled on a set of stock 35 GTR injectors.

At 570cc, and a straight drop in, I pulled the trigger on a set I found on ebay. These went in and it tuned up to the same 255kw, but at much less duty cycle – happy days!

However, the next day I took a trip up to The Bend for a passenger ride day with Openpitlane.com. Cruising on the freeway, I’d get the odd pop out of the exhaust every minute or so. I figured the tune might need adjusting so I carried on.

It got worse. And after 50kms I pulled over an disconnected the O2 sensor. Seemed ok, so I continued on. After the day was finished, the car started up on 4 cylinders and then kicked onto 6 after about 10 seconds – like it had a fouled plug.

This continued for a few days and I realised it wasn’t going to fix itself. Back to Boostworx, where it was diagnosed as a leaky injector. Awesome.

The seller agreed to send me 1 replacement, however I still needed to work out which one as dodgy.

I then stumbled on video from a fellow SAU member - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etukUT5SPgw and this one

I had the fake ones of course! I really didn’t think it would be worth someone faking 35 GTR injectors, however I was wrong!

I presented this evidence to the seller, and was issued with a refund. Buyer beware of fake R35 GTR injectors

So fast forward, I ended up getting a set of KPM 550cc injectors with adapter plugs, and swapped them over, touched up the tune a little and was back to 255kw.

In the period between the fake injectors running and putting in the 550’s my fuel pump stopped completely also. So in went a Walbro 255 from Sleeka Spares.

Now the cars a weekender, I decided on switching to E85 as I want to do some track days and like the idea of the safety margin you get with E85.

Should have got the 1000cc injectors earlier in the year, but there is enough in the 550’s to get me to just shy of 280kw with a pretty conservative tune based around the track day usage

Also put some Bilstein suspension in, that I picked up to suit 34 GTT with coilover conversion kit already installed. These were near new, and have tightened up the handling nicely. I used some ISC strut tops to suit the shorter stroke shocks – they work great

Pics to follow

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Long time between drinks! Few things changed since the last post, the car is still going great!

November last year I did the tour class of the Adelaide Rally - it was great fun! The car performed great, and was pretty quick with the better suspension and E85 tune making 280kw.

Even though it was a Tour class,we did some genuinely quick driving on some awesome roads.

The brakes were the weak point,they consisted of the DBA slotted rotors, Intima SR pads and Nulon fluid. It just lacked stopping power - didn't fade too badly, and they did cop quite a workout. Anyhow it finished off those pads and rotors!

I ended up grabbing a set of Evo Brembos and the Alpha Omega brackets and lines etc. I fitted these up over New Years this year, and used a set of Intima Type D v2 pads - thanks to Dose for the prompt service.

I also grabbed some Porsche GT3 brake guides,which fitted up nicely on the castor rods.

The brakes work really well, plenty of power and decent pedal feel.

I've also since gone to a GTR style 600x300x100 intercooler, with pipework to suit (across the rad fan). This gained a few kw's up top,but a good amount in the midrange with a nice bump in torque. I know plenty have gone past 300 on the Blitz coolers, but this change was done more to satisfy my curiosity more than anything. It makes the car very punchy on the road now, it comes on with minimal lag and is quite punchy - a good street setup and exactly what I want for events like Adelaide Rally and Track Days.

I had to go to 1000cc injectors also, as the 550's ran out of flow :) There is a little more left in it, but the tuning brief was for a track safe tune with reliability in mind. It hits 20 psi dropping back to 18 at the moment - maybe with a .86 rear on the HKS 2535 it would make 15-20 more? I'll go Hypergear eventually.

The change in intercooler meant a change in oil cooler location also,which was a bit fiddly. Removed the washer bottle and located a smaller one inside the engine bay to make way for the intercooler piping also.

Pics attached of the bits that have gone on, also running the Sailun AR01 semi's all round - they are great for the money.

Adelaide Rally 2020 was supposed to start next week,but has been postponed to March. Looking forward to it!

Few pics to update!

IMG_2701.JPG

IMG_2978.jpg

IMG_0404.jpg

IMG_0370.jpg

IMG_0360.jpg

IMG_0361.jpg

IMG_0372.jpg

IMG_0180.jpg

IMG_0482.JPG

IMG_1184.JPG

• Like 4

I'd love to hear more information about the 'Porsche GT3 brake guides' - where you sourced them, how hard they were to fit up, any more photos, etc.

There's been lots of options for air-guides discussed on SAU - with some UAS options discussed, and home-made options discussed in various threads - but this is the first I've heard of something like this fitting off the shelf.

Keen to hear anything you wish to share.

8 minutes ago, jrm said:

I'd love to hear more information about the 'Porsche GT3 brake guides' - where you sourced them, how hard they were to fit up, any more photos, etc.

There's been lots of options for air-guides discussed on SAU - with some UAS options discussed, and home-made options discussed in various threads - but this is the first I've heard of something like this fitting off the shelf.

Keen to hear anything you wish to share.

Yeah I looked at all those, there are some good options but they are pretty expensive for a part that will most likely get smashed off by a speedbump!

I got mine, well two sets - a spare just in case - from ECS Tuning. They are cheap as, with the shipping costing the most! I think it worked out to around $140 delivered for the 2 pairs.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-porsche-parts/gt3-front-brake-duct-upgrade-kit/99734148392kt/

They fit with minimal mods, just trim off a couple of bits, and add a hose clamp to fit and drill a few holes for a cable tie.

They sit down about 40-50mm from the underside of the car, so I'm pretty sure they are guiding air up and through the braking system. With a lip kit, or GTR style front bar I don't think they'd be as effective.

1 hour ago, Kinkstaah said:

I am just jealous of how nice the car actually looks. The OEM Plastic lip/skirt/pods really de-uglify the 34 sedan. (Without obliterating ground clearance either)

What a neat setup overall. Keep doing what you're doing.

Thanks mate, I've been toying with the idea of grabbing that diff of yours!

I'm happy with how it looks, everything is exactly as I want. Looking back to what it was like when I got it, the changes have been subtle but it's made a huge difference visually. Wheels that fit nice make all the difference!

One thing I absolutely didn't want to create is a GTR knock off

1 hour ago, Chris32 said:

Thanks mate, I've been toying with the idea of grabbing that diff of yours!

I'm happy with how it looks, everything is exactly as I want. Looking back to what it was like when I got it, the changes have been subtle but it's made a huge difference visually. Wheels that fit nice make all the difference!

Unfortunately (fortunately?) I sold the diff on the weekend. To a guy putting a BMW V10 into a R33. Ambitious but buyer is very cluey..

One thing I absolutely didn't want to create is a GTR knock off

How about those Nismo stickers on those um Inovit wheels ;)

FWIW, I had 9.5 +27 in the past, I was able to get 265's at the front and back, but it requires some very aggressive rolling and the clearances are razor thin. But it can be done if you want more grip in the future!

21 minutes ago, Kinkstaah said:

How about those Nismo stickers on those um Inovit wheels ;)

They exist solely to annoy a mate who despises copy look wheels! And it works a treat 😆

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Bit of an update - been a while between drinks!

So Adelaide Rally 2020 was run in March this year, and it was a fun few days. The old HKS 2535 cried enough on the end of Day 2, so we missed the final day.

Long story short I ended up with a Hypergear hi-flow, using a R33 rear housing. All went on without much fuss, I missed a hose clamp during the install so the initial tune was a bit disappointing, down from 280kw to 260kw. Once I found the boost leak it made 298kw at a touch over 20psi max boost (drops off a little up top)

It drives much the same as the 2535, it does compressor surge at lower rpm under load, but for the most part I drive around this issue. The mid to top end is better, it's a pretty quick car now.

Adelaide Rally 2021 finished last week, awesome event. The car made it through with no problems, just less rear tyres and brake pads than when we started. Quick pic attached from the livestream on the Saturday

Now to pull the stickers off and clean it up :D

IMG_5189.thumb.PNG.efe83dfb82183041430fde18484517c5.PNG 

• Like 4