SAU Community

Nismo 2 Way Lsd Vs Kaaz Vs Shimmed Lsd

Just curious as to any experiences with a Nismo 2 way diff in an R33 or anything similar.

I am running a shimmed stock diff now which is pretty nice, although sometime shits me with the whole driveline bouncing thing.

Don't mind the chirping of tyres but don't like the chatter through the tail shaft etc. not sure if the Nismo one would still do this?

Basically have a Nismo 2 way sitting there which I am either going to throw into the car or just sell but I know these keen be hard to come by, although it is in and S13/R32 housing so its a bit of mucking around to do the swap and simply test it in my 33 - otherwise i'd just throw it in and see how it goes.

I have been in a car with a Kaaz centre which felt ok, although I prefer the shimmed over a Kaaz, but apparently the Nismo's are a class of their own..?

Has anyone got a Nismo 2 way that can comment? Do they make the car hop up and down or is it just a 'neat chirp' of the tyres?

Any help appreciated.

What oil are you running in it?

I just put a Nismo GT PRO 1.5 way and the oil that came with the centre made the diff sound like it was going to fall out of the car. After the first 1000 kms I put the OS GIKEN 80 W - 250 in it and its quiet as. I might get the rare *clunk* but you hardly notice.

Might be worth a try if you like how the rear feels ATM?

• Like 1

I haven't driven in a Nismo diff at all. Curious to know how it feels or should I just flog it and keep my shimmed LSD..

Don't mind an odd clunk just don't want the full tailshaft chatter that makes the car feel like its a tin can

I test drove a R33 with a Nismo GT Pro diff moons ago before purchasing my previous R33.

Around round abouts and u turns etc.. it would barely lock, but when you gave it some noise the car would be controllable

An added benefit is that the lock up is adjustable, you can pop off the driver side half shaft and adjust how agressive you want the diff to lock up (great for street & track IHMO).

What oil are you running in it?

I just put a Nismo GT PRO 1.5 way and the oil that came with the centre made the diff sound like it was going to fall out of the car. After the first 1000 kms I put the OS GIKEN 80 W - 250 in it and its quiet as. I might get the rare *clunk* but you hardly notice.

Might be worth a try if you like how the rear feels ATM?

Exactly Paul - didn't see oil mentioned anywhere... Oil plays a massive factor.

I used the Castrol and my GT Pro (1.5) from the start, would still lock in a carpark @ low speed on the lowest setting with some accelerator, but I didn't mind it at all.

Could simply add some Penrite Friction Modifier if I wanted it to be more forgiving. Very much a personal preference type of thing the ole rear diff lock-up.

That said I've had shimmed R200 and a Nismo in a R200 - Nismo is certainly awesome, but take nothing away from a properly shimmed mechanical R200, they do very well for the amount of outlay.

• Like 1

Exactly Paul - didn't see oil mentioned anywhere... Oil plays a massive factor.

I used the Castrol and my GT Pro (1.5) from the start, would still lock in a carpark @ low speed on the lowest setting with some accelerator, but I didn't mind it at all.

Could simply add some Penrite Friction Modifier if I wanted it to be more forgiving. Very much a personal preference type of thing the ole rear diff lock-up.

That said I've had shimmed R200 and a Nismo in a R200 - Nismo is certainly awesome, but take nothing away from a properly shimmed mechanical R200, they do very well for the amount of outlay.

I had a shimmed diff and the driveshaft came out and spat oil everywhere as my mate is a numpty :P

Having the Nismo 1.5 is one of the best upgrades to the car, it is so predictable so far.... I havent pushed the car hard yet as i am a skirt but when i get the chance i reckon the diff will hold up great! It can be a bit clunky at low speeds but with solid arms and subframe collars etc that is to be expected...