SAU Community

Nismo 2 Way Lsd Vs Kaaz Vs Shimmed Lsd

• 2 weeks later...

tailshafts don't chatter they just explode. don't ask how I know. not in an R33 thankfully :)

it's probably suspension or subframe movement, lots of cars do it. usually it just means you've been a big girls blouse and haven't broken traction properly. half-arsed = chatter.

• Like 1

Considering a diff rebuilt kit i 300 shipped and labor to shim/rebuilt it would easily be 3-4 hours at 90$/hour. wouldn't buying an used cusco diff be a wiser move ??

Actually the question I should ask is : does OEM diff lsd break with time or they work just as good till the break and don't work at all ?

GTR or GTSt?

GTR is a mechanical diff. Any mech diff (except for helicals) relies on friction to provide the limiting action. A such, as the plates/cones/whatevers wear they gradually stop providing the limiting action.

GTSt is viscous. These things are marginally useful as an LSD when brand new and when presented with stock power/torque and stock skinny tyres with original hard compounds. Fast forward 20 years, add 150000+ km, add wider wheels with sticky rubber and wind up the boost or work the tits off the motor......and wonder why they don't offer proper LSD action.

Tailshaft chatter is not the same as axle tramp, if you feel it you know what I mean it's pretty ugly- just as bad as axle tramp!

Every cusco I have been in has been rough as guts although apparently these can be retuned to not be so savage.

Got the Nismo 2 way detuned and put together in my R33 housing so fun times ahead should slap it in within the next fortnight ;)

Tailshaft chatter is not the same as axle tramp, if you feel it you know what I mean it's pretty ugly- just as bad as axle tramp!

Every cusco I have been in has been rough as guts although apparently these can be retuned to not be so savage.

Got the Nismo 2 way detuned and put together in my R33 housing so fun times ahead should slap it in within the next fortnight ;)

You're going to love it Nic, nothing beats a real diff... people say that shimmed diffs are just as good haven't driven a car with a real diff

would there be much difference between a shimmed r200 and a welded r180? debating on whether i should get my r200 rebuilt and put it back in ? welded has been great, just a bit of understeer

I'm keen to point out again that when R31Nismoid says "shimmed" he usually means a shimmed mechanical R200 like in a GTR. Other people talking about a "shimmed" diff are usually talking about a viscous R200, which is not a good technical solution. The two concepts (and the results) are not exactly the same. A shimmed mechanical diff is just a mech diff that has been tightened up a bit. A shimmed viscous diff is a crappy piece of poo that has had an additional wear surface put in it, where there isn't supposed to be one.

Edited by GTSBoy

I have shimmed about 4 viscous Diffs and only was truly happy with one of them, really have to play around with the shim thickness to hit that sweet spot of between not too savage and no peg leg action.

This takes a lot of patience hence why I CBF anymore and just want a solution I hopefully won't have to revisit

So viscous shim is only good as its good bang for buck- but 99% of the the time just know that diff will be coming back out!

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys.

I'm wondering if anyone could identify this diff? (rather then start another thread). Planning an upgrade for the 32 and have spotted this; 4.3, 4 bolt rear R200 with 5 bolt shafts, s13 front housing.

2wayunknowndiff2_zps6ee3679a.jpg

2waydiffunknown_zpsc0713e85.jpg

Hey guys.

I'm wondering if anyone could identify this diff? (rather then start another thread). Planning an upgrade for the 32 and have spotted this; 4.3, 4 bolt rear R200 with 5 bolt shafts, s13 front housing.

Looks like a 2-way. Not sure of brand.

It looks a lot like an OS-Giken. OS-Gikens should have the logo on the crownwheel bolt side of the housing.

But really, it also looks like Tomei, Nismo, and whatever else. You really need to find some markings.

Edited by GTSBoy

Hey guys.

should be some part numbers on there somewhere if you look. that will help determine.

Get a front on photo of the whole in the centre - will tell show more if its a 2way or 1.5 etc.

Just an update, got my Nismo 2way detuned by a place here in Sydney- apparently reduces the harshness but maintains lock to improve drivability, and got some good oil put in.

Popped it back into the car and cannot stress how great it drives. Gives the odd clunk when cold but once it gets some oil through it drives as nice as a viscous LSD but with instant 2 wheel action as soon as the clutch drops.

Also gives the odd chirp on car park concrete which is no issue at all.

No shimmed LSD no matter how good (i thought) it was, was even anything close to as good as this.

Highly recommended I'm wrapped