SAU Community

Nismo 2 Way Lsd Vs Kaaz Vs Shimmed Lsd

• 2 weeks later...

I just had a Nismo GT Pro 1.5 way put in a couple days ago - and I can report that it shits all over the crappy viscous LSD I had. Tight turns (especially when cold) are a bit 'surgy/skippy' but it settles down when warm. No real clunks, and it's made a big difference to acceleration - even though it still lets go (e85 - 300rwkw) the car still accelerates through the wheelspin, instead of just breaking sideways or spinning one tyre to redline in a flash.

Very impressed so far.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

So since i am RWD and have never been in a car with a shimmed R33 GTR diff, if done well do we really expect it to get out performed by a Nismo 1.5 GT Pro. Its worth the extra money to me if traction is going to be better but...would a shimmed R33 diff be as good as the Kaaz 1.5 way I am running now?

Good question, I had a spare R32 GTR diff rebuilt and tightened and put into my 34, I took car out Friday in RWD due to sensor issue and full noise in 2nd at 19psi ( was going to try 22psi but thought better of it ) it hooked up and took off with no wheel spin, on 275/35/19 Hankook RS-3s

It use to fry one back tyre till the 4WD kicked in then take off, has LSD up front

Exactly Paul - didn't see oil mentioned anywhere... Oil plays a massive factor.

I used the Castrol and my GT Pro (1.5) from the start, would still lock in a carpark @ low speed on the lowest setting with some accelerator, but I didn't mind it at all.

Could simply add some Penrite Friction Modifier if I wanted it to be more forgiving. Very much a personal preference type of thing the ole rear diff lock-up.

That said I've had shimmed R200 and a Nismo in a R200 - Nismo is certainly awesome, but take nothing away from a properly shimmed mechanical R200, they do very well for the amount of outlay.

How much of said modifier and is it a "permanent" thing - ie if it is too much does draining and refilling it with unmodified oil return it or is in in the plates for a while?

Get a front on photo of the whole in the centre - will tell show more if its a 2way or 1.5 etc.

Just an update, got my Nismo 2way detuned by a place here in Sydney- apparently reduces the harshness but maintains lock to improve drivability, and got some good oil put in.

Popped it back into the car and cannot stress how great it drives. Gives the odd clunk when cold but once it gets some oil through it drives as nice as a viscous LSD but with instant 2 wheel action as soon as the clutch drops.

Also gives the odd chirp on car park concrete which is no issue at all.

No shimmed LSD no matter how good (i thought) it was, was even anything close to as good as this.

Highly recommended � I'm wrapped

Who are these mysterious people?

Edited by djr81

The friction modified is just an oil additive, so oil change (or more likely two) should just flush it out

And yeah the Nismo GT-Pro has settings, you can back them up or down depending on what you want.

If not a Pro, it'll just be a case of altering the diff plates

• Like 1

Hi Paul, I sent you some old worksheets ages ago that I got with the car yard when I bought it, one of the work sheets was from Advan Performance Auburn and they had installed a Nismo 2-way LSD , but after reading a lot of threads about LSDs I questioned that this could be a 2-way as I get no noises or clunks at any time.??

Got CRD to have a look while the car is in bits and he said he could not tell what brand it was but it was a strong one, whatever that means?

Even before when the car would not get going it used to chirp at near idol revs, I thought it was the OS Quad clutch doing this, the chirps stopped by the time I ran the car in.

It will be interesting to see what happens once I get it back with the other drive-train mods installed

So since i am RWD and have never been in a car with a shimmed R33 GTR diff, if done well do we really expect it to get out performed by a Nismo 1.5 GT Pro. Its worth the extra money to me if traction is going to be better but...would a shimmed R33 diff be as good as the Kaaz 1.5 way I am running now?

The problem with shimmed V-LSD is that they wear and need re-shimming. Even at their best they still aren't a proper LSD. I have a Nismo Pro 2 way set on the lowest preload. It's great, especially in the wet, very predictable. I was very lucky and got mine for $500

The problem with shimmed V-LSD is that they wear and need re-shimming. Even at their best they still aren't a proper LSD. I have a Nismo Pro 2 way set on the lowest preload. It's great, especially in the wet, very predictable. I was very lucky and got mine for $500

Nobody said anything about a VLSD.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Swapped over to OS Giken OS-250R 80w-250 LSD Oil to reduce chatter from my Nismo 1.5 GT Pro TT and it worked a treat. Thanks heaps for posting that Piggaz!!

:D. Good stuff