SAU Community

Walbro Fuel Pump. Fake Vs Real

Evening fellas. Not the most important topic but still should be noted

This afternoon I installed a new Walbro Fuel pump. The ever-so popular, cheap and cheerful GSS341/342 model.

Anyway, to my surprise the pump I removed from the car looked aftermarket (I was expecting a stocker) and eerily familiar so I compared it to the one I was about to install.

It is a pretty obvious fake when you compare them side-by-side. but I probably wouldn't have noticed it on its own. Also the inside of the pumps looked very different. (fake is on the left both times)

3ot4uCE.jpg?1

5vfJRg2.jpg?1

I guess my point is look out for fakes. The genuine one had Walbro 'made in usa' stamped once in the aluminium and came with a sleeve of about 6-7mm of thick rubber. The fake one used a very small sleeve (visible on the table in the first photo) and had no writing anywhere on the assembly and felt very light and flimsy.

The filter 'sock' on the fake one looked pretty useless and I could only ever really use 3/4 to 7/8 of the tank before having to refuel. The new sock on the genuine one reaches almost an inch deeper. I'm yet to test though.

The fake one looked a lot like this:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GSS341-Type-340L-H-Performance-Fuel-Pump-Skyline-GTR-RB20-RB25-RB26-R32-R33-R34-/110983052442?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item19d71afc9a&_uhb=1

Does anyone have experience with a knock-off pump going bad on them?

Edited by Blackkers

I tried to test one at 80psi and it made some really weird noises. The Walbro ones are just better, and e85 safe.

As they are $100 locally I don't know why you wouldn't just buy one here from a reputable supplier... Lest it fail on you at the worst possible time.

Which one? There are so many different ones out there, and some with completely different internals. I noticed the DW 200 looks like an exact copy of the Walbro 255, where does it end?

I guess a product is only as good as it's warranty, even if it did perform as well as the original.

A comparison of the generic copy againt the version of pump it's supposed to be. As far as I was aware there were only a couple of places making walbro generic copies.

As for a DW... I have one in my stag and in my opinion it's a better thing then the walbro I took out.

... Do the generic copies work? how long do they last? what are the limmitations?

Cheers

J.

..F it, I might test one for shnitz and giggles.

• 2 years later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Old thread but they are getting sneaky and harder to pick so here is a few pics of one new generation fake vs real. In the first pick notice the round pin punch in genuine one vs fake. Fake one is in left hand.

In second pic notice the overall lool location for writing. Fake is on left again.

In third pic notice no number on the plastic where electric connector goes. Fake is on left.

Forth pic notice the inside of the pump is not correct aswell.

Fifth pic is how it should look. Notice that it is metal inside not plastic. 

Finally a new link for the new batch of so called genuine pumps on ebay. Seller is claiming that they are genuine but they are not. Beware all and keep ur rb alive.

http://m.ebay.com.au/itm/152620689292?_trkparms=pageci%3Ab3ae2b76-870d-11e7-a85b-74dbd180ed80|parentrq%3A08e632f915e0a9c429860febfff8634d|iid%3A2&_mwBanner=1

Screenshot_20170822-151232.png

Screenshot_20170822-151149.png

Screenshot_20170822-151134.png

Screenshot_20170822-151217.png

Screenshot_20170822-151205.png

• Like 1