SAU Community

Torque Specs For Tie Rod And Front Ball Joint Assy Installation

Hello,

I couldn't seem to find this information anywhere (I may just be bad at searching) but as the title states, can anyone tell me the torque specs required for tie rod and front ball joint ASSY installation?

I own a 1995 R33 GTR.

I've tried gtrcanada, gtruk, and tried to find the FSM for something other than the motor and yielded nothing.

Thanks.

• 8 years later...

I know this topic is extremely old. I am bumping this so future searchers will find this. The book spec for the front axle tie rod end lock nut is 29-39 N-m or 3-4 kg-m.

There are multiple ball joints in the suspension. The lower ball joints on the "transverse link" the lock nut spec is 97-119 N-m. The nuts that hold them in have two different specs. The outer ball joint nut that attaches the ball joint to the steering knuckle has a torque spec of 72-97 N-m. The inner ball joint that attaches somewhere to the subframe I think has a spec of 63-78 N-m.

The upper "third link" ball joint that attaches to the top of the steering knuckle is integral to the third link and attaches to the steering knuckle with a nut that calls for 148-186 N-m of torque. This is a big one.

Edited by joshuaho96
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 7/24/2022 at 2:50 AM, joshuaho96 said:

I know this topic is extremely old. I am bumping this so future searchers will find this. The book spec for the front axle tie rod end lock nut is 29-39 N-m or 3-4 kg-m.

There are multiple ball joints in the suspension. The lower ball joints on the "transverse link" the lock nut spec is 97-119 N-m. The nuts that hold them in have two different specs. The outer ball joint nut that attaches the ball joint to the steering knuckle has a torque spec of 72-97 N-m. The inner ball joint that attaches somewhere to the subframe I think has a spec of 63-78 N-m.

The upper "third link" ball joint that attaches to the top of the steering knuckle is integral to the third link and attaches to the steering knuckle with a nut that calls for 148-186 N-m of torque. This is a big one.

Mate sorry to be a twat but I'm trying to understand what you're saying but I can't. I believe you might be mixing up the term ball joint with bushing? As the lower control arm (transverse link?) has one outer ball joint and one inner bushing. The upper control arm has 2 small bushings and 1 big bushing. The diagonal arms have two nuts and 1 big bushing.

I am trying to find out all the torque specs for those components for a 33 but there does not seem to be a manual that covers this. Also the 4 main nuts holding the subframe to the chassis.

Cheers Dyl(an?), those make sense even for my GTST. And Duncan I was unaware the GTR came with that style suspension, I'm only just getting familiar with my poverty spec 33 😳 And I just noticed OP was asking about his GTR specifically so I was in error.