SAU Community

Diy Miks R32 Gtst

First block sanding done and the sludge washed off, now for a bit of filler in the lows and prime again.

Some things i never saw before block sanding, like minute highs from factory spot welds.

The crease on the drivers door is dented and will be quite tricky to make it right, its gotta be dead straight or it will stand out.

There are very long ripples on top of the left front guard, its like two lows over the whole length, so they end up being flat spots on what should be a gentle curve.

How the fk can i fix that? Even a very long block follows the lows.Guesswork sculpting with bog? Ill have a go at least.

Some bits are quite difficult, but thats half the fun i guess. Its just work if theres no challenge. Like sanding the roof, its a bit boring cos you dont have to think much about it.

Sanding the doors requires correct technique and attention, the learning of new skills is pleasurable, its hardwired into your brain as part of our survival skills.

Filling and sanding:

post-89755-0-09902300-1394765509_thumb.jpg post-89755-0-15253500-1394765531_thumb.jpg post-89755-0-73959600-1394765559_thumb.jpg

Had to grind out the bonnet in those spots as there was some old black paint making the primer split and peel.

Couldnt be stuffed fiddling around for hours on the "Skyline" and the grooves on the brake light surrounds. Dont need stupid little detail sht like that. Fiddly bits dont look good, look at a new Holden. :yucky:

Trying to get the rear to match the bar:

post-89755-0-03740200-1394765582_thumb.jpg post-89755-0-80422800-1394765688_thumb.jpg post-89755-0-55145700-1394765715_thumb.jpg

post-89755-0-34970200-1394765731_thumb.jpg post-89755-0-74765100-1394765749_thumb.jpg

Makin a mess: post-89755-0-08911100-1394765766_thumb.jpg

So theres the start of trying to get it straight and smooth, a lot more work to go.

Oh, and i got a new spraygun, dads isnt working too well. Might give it a service now i have instructions.

Another thing id like to point out is that im not much good at panelbeating, its quite a skill, those guys dont get paid enough for what they do.

So im just using heaps of body filler, that rear guard should really be cut off and replaced, after the whole car has been straightened on the chassis aligner.

Edited by D.I.Y. Mik

Colour and clear?

Well it depends on how well i smoothed it all out, hopefully most of it will block back nice, and ill only have to work on a couple of spots.

The plan is only to re spray those spots where i have to, then black in the doors and under the boot.

All the plastics are good and will only need a rub, trackday bonnet may go black to save time, and trackday guards will be used to experiment with the colour, pearl and clear.

When its perfect, ill do a prime/seal coat, rub that with 600, then 800, dust it off, then the colour, then pearl then clear. Wait 6-7 days to cure (actually will do more mods and maintenance during this time), final rub with 1200, and buff.

Then put it all back together.

Its taking a bit of work because my car is so bent. A straight car is waaay easier. If you had no issues with different paints and repairs, you could just scuff it up and spray.

Mine had issues with the paint, so it had to be stripped back to metal. Just paint stripping is a lot of work. Then i saw all the repairs, but stripper fks bog so i had to re-do all the old repairs too.

Nice thread mate. Not sure if I missed it or not, but what colour are your respraying?

What hill climbs do you attend? I just recently drove at Bathurst for Round 1 and 2 of the NSW State Championships. Was great fun.

Looking for a dark green, a little darker than Holden poison ivy.

I will try a bit of gold ghost pearl and see if i can do it without stripes. Spraying tricoats (colour, pearl, clear) is tricky.

I am a member at my local club:

http://www.sdmahillclimb.com/Start.html

I have only raced there, and a couple of laps at Wakefield once.

Got some more paint today, have to wait till thursday for weather to be good for spraying.

4l, plenty of primer to sand into dust. Gotta learn when to stop.

Looking for a dark green, a little darker than Holden poison ivy.

I will try a bit of gold ghost pearl and see if i can do it without stripes. Spraying tricoats (colour, pearl, clear) is tricky.

I am a member at my local club:

http://www.sdmahillclimb.com/Start.html

I have only raced there, and a couple of laps at Wakefield once.

Got some more paint today, have to wait till thursday for weather to be good for spraying.

4l, plenty of primer to sand into dust. Gotta learn when to stop.

I will have to look at attending some of the Canberra hill climbs, my girlfriend lives there for uni at the moment so would be a good excuse to be over there :P

• Like 1

A coulple more coats of primer on everything today, and a guide coat.

3l of primer used today... with all the bits and pieces it uses a bit of paint.

Next, sand again, and fill the scratches and tiny imperfections.

The guard, door and bonnet will need a few skims, sands and guides. Its all pretty good except for those 3 areas of damage.

Those areas can be re-sprayed in guide coat on their own.

Then a final thinned out coat of primer, nice and smooth.