SAU Community

V36 Rev Probs, Firmware Update Anyone?

• 3 weeks later...

I am yet to get a reply from Infiniti since being told they were discussing logistics with Japan. I've also tried to find out from them if a brand new ECU comes out of the factory updated. No response yet.

• 3 weeks later...

I woke up to some fantastic news from infiniti today.

Japan has sent them the update, they have it in hand. They're sending it to my local Nissan and i'll have it booked in asap.

Somebody pinch me

Lets just hope this magical fix actually does something good, and doesn't just reprogram your radio to Jap stations. :P

iknorite? I've read it's fixed the problem for a lot of people, but not all. It also gets rid of the acceleration delay, but takes some of the grunt out of it.

Either way this has bought my car a little more life before being disposed of Salem Witch style.

No I haven't had it done yet, hopefully this week.

They emailed me today to inform me that there is no warranty having the update applied. It is a special circumstance and not something they would usually do, so if I still wanted to go ahead I have to agree to no warranty.

At this stage I'm quite willing as without the update it'll be found in a paddock on fire anyway......

You usually have warranty on workmanship, so if they stuff something up they have to fix it. In this case if they brick my ECU it's just too damn bad.

They explain that they have not tested this update locally as they would normally before using it on a clients car. They don't expect any problems as it is the Nissan update for my car based on my VIN, but in the unlikely event...

Edited by awsam

So Nissan have said they want to double check what they have in hand from Infiniti is in fact for my car and are talking with some Nissan techs somewhere about the details.

Should be making a booking Monday, and hopefully have it done not long after.

Once it's fixed it's on the market according to the missus ;)

No idea on costs yet, but I have a feeling the goodwill and excellent customer service is going to trickle it's way down to the final bill.

Had the update applied today, Nissan changed their mind on supplying an actual copy of the update to the service center, instead Techline did the update & re-tune remotely... Amazing...

They road tested about 60km's worth and it came up well.

The biggest change I've noticed is take off is now incredibly smooth. Prior to the update, a slight push of the accelerator would often give more speed than intended. This would also happen

while the car was rolling.

Auto gear changing is now a lot smoother, although going from 3rd to 2nd still noticeably slams in, but NO WHERE near as bad as before.

There's no longer a delay going from 2,500rpm to 3,500rpm, prior to the update there would be a 1 second delay for me and then it would rev to 3500 as quick as it could. Now it goes

from 2500 - 3500 at the same rate as I push the pedal.

I let it sit for a couple of hours tonight and I did notice some very slight bucking (like 10-20rpm) for about 30 seconds. I'm hoping this is as bad as it gets and this isn't a case like others have had,

where an ECU resent buys you 1-2 weeks of smoothish driving before it learns your habits and starts bucking/hiccuping again.

• 2 weeks later...

It's almost been 2 weeks after having the update applied. The car runs 90% better, which for anyone who has the same problem is incredible!

The grunt is still mostly there, and the acceleration delay feels 50% reduced. There is no more bucking, hiccups or stuttering. A couple of times i've felt maybe 3 small bucks (like 5% of previous strength) at low gear, but only ever once while driving.

There is no more hesitation from a stopped start at all.

The anti slip control seems to be less sensitive now also.

I highly suggest anyone experiencing my issues with a 2008 V36 sedan have the update applied, even if it's just so you can sell it for more. Main North Nissan charged me $190. If you're in Adelaide, ask for Josh.

Andrew Taylor from Infiniti Melbourne was the man who made it all happen, top guy, went above and beyond for no reward other than the gratitude.

I'm so happy it's fixed, so incredibly happy. Now we can actually sell it for what it's worth :P

Hey Awsam, I'm glad this has worked out for you! Your perseverance paid off. Way to go!

Quick question, could i get a copy of this update so Nissan North Shore, Auckland NZ can do this update for me ? Do you know how ?

Cheers mate

You'd have to get your local Nissan GTR dealership to chase it up. Tell them TechLine Aus has the update. If they're confused they can call Josh Kolinac @ Main north nissan South Australia and he can fill them in.
Nissan won't give the file out, TechLine won't even give it to the Dealership. They drop the file into a remote workspace and do the work themselves.