SAU Community

O2 sensor

JaFF

When I bought my r33s2 it had 30,000 ks up and was roughly 10ks to the litre at about the 40,000k mark that dropped to 7.5 ks to the litre and lots a black soot all over ass end, alot happened around that time (upgrades and a fly through air thump on ground thingy) but subsequent investigations by mechs said the car/fuel use was OK!

After reading all this thread i decided to try it out.

I just bought O2 sensor from autobahn Part #OX207 for falcon EL $80.00 my wiring was

Nissan ------>Ford

Black ------->Black

Black ------->Black

White ------>Blue

Crimped wires together shielded them seems to run OK

Will let you know if any improvement.

There are 2 o2 senors for the el falcon one is the purpose built 4 EL and the other is a universal 3 wire for alot of different cars. the EL one cost me 80 bucks and the Uni costs 110 hope i helped a bit are there no autobahns near you?

yes that is the right thing, thats the 02 sensor on the front pipe. its the thing with the bright blue wire coming out of it in the middle pic, the right end pic is the 02 sensor compared to my pioneer stereo remote so you can get an idea of size. you need to unscrew it from the front pipe and it comes out, its a bitch to get to however without the right tools, there is an actual oxygen sensor removal too as its really akwards to get into

The tool you need is called an Oxygen Sensor socket - it is basically a long socket with a split down the side. The split allows you to slide the socket over the wiring and down onto the sensor.

Make sure you get the right size - they usually come in 17mm or 21mm sizes, but I have seen some that were 7/8 inch. Any place that sells decent automotive tools (i.e. not Autobarn, Super Cheap) should have these in stock, and if you ask nicely they should let you try it for size on your sensor before you buy it.

Then you can lend it to all your mates for beers...

Around about the $40 mark I think.....

Go the mighty O2 sensors :headbang:

• 2 weeks later...

BTW I'm not sure it was ever answered properly, the GTR does have 2xO2 sensors, one in each dump pipe. They are different part numbers because the connectors are different only. The screw fitting to the dump pipe is *not* the same from r32 to 33 and 34.

In addition there is an temp sensor in the cat.

Not sure if you can remove the back sensor with the engine in, we just did ours when the engine was out anyway :cheers:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i just replaced my o2 sensor in my r33 series 1 gst-t. i got an el falcon sensor from repco. the part number was rox207 i think. however it only cost $50 and the results were good . i went from 350km's a tank to 500km's a tank. please note this was my first tank of gas and it was mainly highway driving, but i still think there was a vast improvement. one tip i have is instead of trying to join the wires you should just buy a three wire plug and totally cut out the old plug. just make sure you take note of the wires.

i got the 3 Wire oxygen sensor (stock code=23011) from petrojet it ends up being a bosch plug and the connector head is round and i have a rectangle plug on my one.

can anyone verify if its supposed to be round or rectangular and the petroject guys gave me the wrong one.

The Nissan original one had a rectangular plug, and the falcon EL one (NGK brand) had a round one. I remember coz i pulled out the silicon inser that held the wires in their spots and it was really chewy.. lolz!

Yup exactly i've got teh rectangle one in the car and now i've got a round o2 plug.

I did read that you guys did some wire cutting to get it on but didn't say that you had to get a new round connector fitted.

But some guys were saying that their plugged straight on no electrical work.

ANyone want to buy this 02 sensor off me $60 brand new with reciept from petroject distro including shipping overnight through registered post.

the GTR does have 2xO2 sensors, one in each dump pipe.  They are different part numbers because the connectors are different only.  The screw fitting to the dump pipe is *not* the same from r32 to 33 and 34.

That's a little confusing. The wire plug is different, got it, but what's that about the screw fitting? Are you saying that these Ford EL 02 sensors will not work in R32 GT-Rs because the screw fitting -- I assume you mean the thread on the dump pipe -- is different?

Lucien.

sorry, I was trying to say 2 things:

1. the front and rear o2 sensors in the 32GTR have different plugs to the loom between front and rear, and so 2 different part numbers

2. the screw fitting in the dump pipe is larger in the 33 and 34 is a larger diameter than the 32 screw fitting. Not sure which, if either, an EL falcon one fits

Tell me about it: I have two EL sensors and nothing to put them in, plus I had the manifolds, turbos and dumps out of the car so it would have been easy to replace them :D I checked if there was some way to modify them to fit, and there doesn't appear to be.

I can't comment on the fitment for R33/34 GT-Rs. It did cross my mind that perhaps the sensors are smaller because they are essentially only each getting half the flow from the engine, as opposed to have one dump where everything goes. Of course I might be talking complete bollocks :)

Lucien.

the sensors fit 33 and 34 gtr's

Troy: do you know if the signal output is the same for the 33/34s as the 32s? That is, is only the fitting different but not the operation of the actual sensor?

Cheers,

Lucien.

i reckon it would be the same ....ocean from this forum had the problem with the thread size and fitted a difrent sensor....you would have to ask him which one it was

• 2 weeks later...

I spoke to Daniel (ocean): thanks for the heads up Troy.

According to Daniel for the R32 GT-R you need NTK OTD2F-2B. If I get time this week, I will try and get some and will be able to confirm.

If anyone is interested, I am selling off the two EL sensors I bought here

Cheers,

Lucien.

Had a try of installing mine before.. well I'm officially naming them **** pipes..

A 7/8" spanner fits the sensor thread, but there is no room to get it flat to manevour, and mine is 15 years tight.. I think its really a 22mm thread but stuffed if you can buy a 22mm spanner.. and my adjustable is too chunky. So its not budging.

Did think I could I could bend the base of the spanner 70deg or so to angle get a better grip, but i had to buy a good quality spanner didn't I... I could heat it and bend it, but no idea whether that will work still.

So looks like I'm going to have to remove the whole **** pipe and try and remove it once the dump is off.. may as well just damn well buy a whole new dump pipe seeing as its all off anyhow and fit that..grrr!

:(:)

Found a socket that would fit over.. 22mm long one - Repco brand from Repco.. You have to cut the wires close to the base of the original o2 sensor and hammer on though and it just fits over (this probably destroys the original sensor. .. In the end though, there still wasn't enough leverage to get it off.

I had to remove the whole dump and front pipe off from the turbo. Ended up snapping two bolts there, unfortunately they would have snapped I think no matter what being 15 years old.

To actually get it off the dump wasn't so easy off the car either! Was surfing the front pipe, putting whole body behind breaker bar, before it *finally* came free (shit of a thing). Anyhow, wired up the new sensor (using spade connectors - hope they hold up ok).. and slotted in, appears to work fine.

Think I now have an exhaust leak as didn't tighten up the dump tight enough..grr.. but otherwise the sensor appears to be working.

Was a **** to take off the whole dump, but at least most things are lose now, when I go to fit a new 3" dump soon.