SAU Community

Engine Bay Cleaning

Is there any specific way of cleaning and detailing an engine/ engine bay? Or is a few cans of HD degreaser and anf well used Gernie and a little towel action the only way to go? This is the reason I ask.

post-100977-13786196565374_thumb.jpg

As you can see she's got quite a dirty heart in her.

Any hints and tips reslly appreciated, many thanks in advance.

• Like 1

I picked up a free sample bottle of Simple Green from Bursons a couple of weeks ago.

I'dd tried a ton of different solutions and nothing has worked as well as this so far. Mind you i was using it as a 100% concentrate! :woot:

A good tip is to buy a ton of small tooth brushes and melt the handles into suitable angles to get to the harder spots :)

IMAG0021.jpg

• Like 1

A good tip is to buy a ton of small tooth brushes and melt the handles into suitable angles to get to the harder spots :)

i have been detailing my car every 3 weeks for 4 years and you just blew my mind. thank you sir!

I find Prepsol for painted surfaces in the engine bay works really well to remove oily, fuel, greasy stains. Just give it a good rub while it's wet.

(Especially good for the fume stains on the underside of the bonnet)

Tin foil (out of the pantry) is flexible to work over/around electrical connections (real easy).

Plastic shopping bag over the airfilter/s.

Degreaser for the engine as per the vid.

Rinse down/dry off.

Depending if your picky you can then use a mild cutting/polish compound on the engine bay painted surfaces like struts etc. Micro fibre off and then wax. Easier to clean next time.

Stiff paintbrush is a good tip from the vid as with old tooth brushes mentioned above^^.

Giving the hoses a quick wipe over with an interior cleaner brings them up shiney.

And of course if you have shiney metal :( then a metal all purpose cleaner after a metal polish makes it look tits :D

Using one of those power cones for polishing makes it a lot easier :)

Edited by Anonymouse

• 2 weeks later...

i have been detailing my car every 3 weeks for 4 years and you just blew my mind. thank you sir!

Ha glad i could help.

I'm by nature a tight arse so anything to save $$. Besides owning a gtr isnt cheap.. gotta cut some corners somewhere :)

• 1 month later...

engine3

I tend to use degreaser on the engine to remove the dirt,and each time i wash the car i also wash under the bonnet,that way the engine bay never really gets to out of control.

• 1 month later...

Hi every one !

There are many ways and as well as degreaser to clean the engine bay but mostly its depends on you what kind of result you want . I mostly used p 2 total auto wash and i thnk this is very good in result .

• 1 month later...

diluted ct18 does wonders with a little elbow grease.

yep or dishwashing liquid...Prepsol as mentioned ,is great for cleaning those smokey stains of your paint and get heaps of those 5 for 10$ degreaser cans from supercheap...they blow grime off in places you cant reach...or if you have a air compressor buy a degreaser gun...

That video is good and informative. My issue is, with an RB motor, there are so many wires and clips and electrical component you'd have to cover up so much crap. How do you guys do it? What bout the fuel rail and injectors etc?

I always end up with water in down with my coils always have to take the cover off and blow it all out with an air gun, I also blow off excess water on any terminals afterwards as well

yeah,, what I did was take the cover off and get some off that foam sticky tape...put a piece down either side of the cover and replace...works well...

alternatively, remove cover and put a towel over your coilpacks...

but really you shouldnt need to spray the top of the engine that much as most of the grim is down the sides where oils leak...just spray around it mostly