SAU Community

Show Us Ya Dash

JimmyRickard

23 hours ago, Leroy Peterson said:

I've got a Race Technology DASH2 from the UK. Nothing too fancy and I haven't actually installed it yet, but talks to my autronic and came at under $900AUD shipped. I'll be making my own comms lead though, they wanted 150 quid for that, bullshit.

Be Very Very careful when installing this Dash, as the recessed threads on the back are shallow, with the material at the bottom of the holes very thin.  It is quite easy to bottom out the bolts being used, and punching the bottom of the holes into the underlying circuit board.  When this happens, the screen tends to fail, and the only fix is replacement.

I used to sell these products, I had a number of them come back for that reason.  I used to install short studs on the ones that I sold to resolve this issue.

Be Very Very careful when installing this Dash, as the recessed threads on the back are shallow, with the material at the bottom of the holes very thin.  It is quite easy to bottom out the bolts being used, and punching the bottom of the holes into the underlying circuit board.  When this happens, the screen tends to fail, and the only fix is replacement.
I used to sell these products, I had a number of them come back for that reason.  I used to install short studs on the ones that I sold to resolve this issue.
Thanks for the tip.
I haven't look at mounting solutions yet so will keep this in mind.

• 1 month later...
On 06/12/2017 at 11:45 AM, Leroy Peterson said:

I've got a Race Technology DASH2 from the UK. Nothing too fancy and I haven't actually installed it yet, but talks to my autronic and came at under $900AUD shipped. I'll be making my own comms lead though, they wanted 150 quid for that, bullshit.

How's this dash going for you?  Haltech no longer offer the IQ3 display dash which I'd just decided to get so this DASH2 is of interest now.

• 1 month later...

Bit late to the party, I had a Haltech branded IQ3 logger and to be honest I found the software and configurability very limiting. Not to mention it had a dose of the dreaded "Segment loss" issue that earlier ones had. No idea about the later ones. I ended up selling it as when I sent it back for repair they were nice enough to update the firmware for me.

Read that to mean that they changed it to the Haltech V2 CAN protocol and it would no longer work with the old ECU that I yanked out of my HR31 to put in something else without paying to send it back to the states again to have the CAN version changed. I got pissed about it and sold it.

I replaced it in the HR31 with a MoTec C127 with logging and I/O enabled. I/O I no longer need as such as I updated the ECU as well and the things I wanted that for I am inputting to my ECU and sending to the dash over CAN. About the only thing I will now use that for is a signal to trigger in car cameras when the logger starts running so I don't have to remember to do it myself.

The MoTec is far from cheap but IMO the IQ3 is geriatric and showing it, you get what you pay for.

• Like 1

To keep it in the right spirit for the thread, my setup in mostly complete guise. Data coming from the ECU over CAN to test that I have it functioning properly.

IMG_3053.JPG

• Like 2

Nice looking display that MoTec, my ECU is a Haltech Elite and Haltech seem to be all over the place with what works with what. I'd prefer to get something other than a Haltech dash that will still work with the Elite yet be more universal in case I want to change ECU's. Buggered if I know what though.

If you can track down the Haltech V2 CAN message set the MoTec can display it. I have seen it about but I have not got it to hand.

It is not all that hard to build a receive template for the MoTec dashes once you have a look at a few.

I will say that the racepak/Haltech and MoTec dash build quality is like chalk and cheese. The C127 weighs a lot more than an IQ3 but in comparison feels like it has been machines out of a billet! (They might be for all I know)

Have asked Demon Tweeks if this https://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorsport/data-logging-dash-loggers-loggers/aim-motorsport-mxs-strada-dash-display will talk with a Haltech Elite. Five inch TFT display and optional satnav for speed readings which I believe to be more accurate than the alternatives.

Just found the attached list of compatible ECU's for the Aim Strada and according to Demon Tweeks suitable cables are supplied with the kit. This seems to be a much better option for me rather than being stuck with Haltech only. http://www.aim-sportline.com/eng/download/ecu-connections-racing.htm

On 3/15/2018 at 9:31 PM, Blue said:

If you can track down the Haltech V2 CAN message set the MoTec can display it. I have seen it about but I have not got it to hand.

It is not all that hard to build a receive template for the MoTec dashes once you have a look at a few.

I will say that the racepak/Haltech and MoTec dash build quality is like chalk and cheese. The C127 weighs a lot more than an IQ3 but in comparison feels like it has been machines out of a billet! (They might be for all I know)

The MoTeC Display cases are billet.

There is a Haltech V2 template in the standard MoTeC templates as well.  if you have a custom set, this can be handled as well.

It is not in the C127 manager. I just downloaded the latest one today to check if they had added it. In C127 manager they have the old V1 message set as a compound message, or as individual 4 channel messages on 010, 011, 012 hex etc.

Not that it matters to me (I have an Emtron KV8 ECU) but what MoTec software is it in? I occasionally get help requests from mates.

Sweet, I will grab them when I get home. Haltech are remarkably reticent to release them, the only one I had seen was from some years ago and apparently quite obsolete with a number of new or changed messages.

Now I wish I could just find the CAN message set for a Madza 3 MPS. A mate has one with an AIM dash in it but very few of the parameters that were advertised as being available for the car (Which led to him buying the dash) actually appear. I may have to go CAN sniffing for him and that will be time consuming to say the least. He want's to do proper logging so he does not really want to go OBD2 and low data rate, through it might be better for him that when he has now, he is only getting very basic engine data, no boost pressure etc.

To comment on blackrex's post above, yes, it is simple to deal with custom messages.

I have done custom messages both in in my PDM and my ECU for the dash and it was no problem to get them working correctly. One was a counter in the PDM to act as a brightness control for the dash (Easy, counter from 3 to 10, incrementing and decrementing with keypad buttons, defaulting to 6 on power up with the value sent on the CAN bus) that is a simple message with a multiplier of 10 to tun it onto a percentage for brightness.

The other being a "Fuel used" signal from the ECU to increment a fuel usage value in the dash. Likewise a pit lane limiter signal out of the PDM that turns the limiter on in the ECU but also changes the way the dash behaves.

I would hate to go back to something less sophisticated now.

On 3/22/2018 at 6:39 PM, blackrex said:

They where supposed to have been in the last release of the Colour Dash managers, but for some reason didn't get put in.  I have attached a copy of them if anyone wants.

Haltech v2.16 0x3E0.cc8

Haltech v2.16 0x360.cc8

Haltech v2.16 0x370.cc8

Thanks Stephen,

This should get me going for some testing with an adaptronic ECU and a C125 until I build a adaptronic template.

• 4 weeks later...

Belated entry to this discussion but I have an Haltech Elite 750 mated to a Microtech 7 inch logger dash. So far all works well with the exception of the dash AFR reading which doesn't work yet - I can't begin to explain why but my tuner is working on it with Haltech and Microtech. The instructions that come with the dash are fairly basic although anyone familiar with the Microtech ECU handset would find it easy - once you get the concept of how the settings are organised it's pretty straightforward.  

The dash makes for a direct replacement for all the analog instruments, and has a mass of warnings and alarms that can be customised. The lap timer is based on a GPS position that you set with a momentary switch - there's no downloadable map - the GPS is 10hz so the speedo is fast and responsive and the lap timer should be as accurate as any other. As a general comment I haven't found Microtech particularly easy to interact with by comparison with Haltech. MT takes a fairly hard line that the supplier needs to provide backup/advice, and that only the supplier deals with the factory, whereas Haltech will deal with you directly. I also appreciate the Haltech videos.

Maybe I've missed something but there does not seem to be a MT forum anywhere??

I would not be too concerned about the lack of an MT forum. Take a look at the Racepak forums for an example why. Loads and loads of questions posted, most of which never get a response of any sort. IMO they would do better to close the forum down as it detracts from their reputation to have people asking for information and generally getting none. If you trawl back enough you can find one of the Racepak guys telling a poster that the forum is intended to be a USER forum and that Racepak don't actively monitor it nor feel any compelling reason to help the users in that way (That last bit being my interpretation)

The default response if you get one at all from Racepak is "Call us" which is not a whole lot of good from half the world away. Lack of local support (For any Racepak product repairs Haltech will have to send stuff back to Racepak anyway) was one of the bigger reasons I sold mine.

Yeah, per a post above, a mate has an AIM dash, he is having issues with data not being shown but if you are doing something over CAN with a known message set that should be a non issue, or direct inputs (DO they have AV and digital inputs?) Aside from that it is a nice looking unit.

Except for the money stacking up a bit too much I have considered a handful of AIM smarty cams using their bridge to enable camera start/stop with the logger running signal from my C127. My budget just does not stretch to the MoTeC cam systems, particularly as I would want more than one.

I currently have a kludged setup where the logger status triggers an aux output on my dash which controls a 12V relay which turns on power to my camera, that is a Replay XD and is configured to power up and start recording when external power goes on and stop/power down after it goes off, saves forgetting to start and stop it! The bugger is it is the only camera I have found that will do that (Other than off the shelf dash cams which will probably have rolling shutter effect from hell!) and having tested the water with one and found it works how I wanted it seems that Replay have gone belly up and I have had no joy getting any more.