SAU Community

Show Us Ya Dash

JimmyRickard

The final decision for my project is to go with a management system that supports OBD. So my question is, what OBD compatible dashes are worth looking at?

The only two I have seen are the MoTeC dashes and the AIM ones. Both are a pretty polished product.

OBD is good for display but not apparently much chop for high value logging due to update rates, if the system has CAN in the background and there is any chance of sniffing out the CAN messages later to pick stuff up at much higher rates then IMO the MoTeC dashes have a much easier interface for building CAN templates to hoover up whatever data you can get your hands on.

There are undoubtedly others but I don't have any experience with them, I would just stay away from Racepak, I think the IQ3 is built too lightly and is getting old, the software is ancient, the dashes are not all that flexible configuration wise and to be plain, the proprietary Vnet concept shits me up the wall.

• Like 1

Biggest thing I would say would be to download the software for each of your candidates and see how you like working with it.

• 4 months later...

Another OBD2 option I'm told is to get a wireless connector that plugs into the OBD2 port and a car orientated Android screen device with GPS for relatively peanuts eg  9" screen device on ebay for $133. No data logging of course but all that's presently needed is a in car display of a fair size, the above solution sounds almost too good to be true. Anything to look out for, anything in particular that the Android device should have? Thanks, if there is helpful interest I'll do pics and details in due course.

• 2 weeks later...